Bought another 355 | FerrariChat

Bought another 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by lawwdog, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Sorry I dodn't post this sooner but 2 days before X-mas I bought another 355. My wife agreed that it was time for a spider and I couldn't argue. Here it is:

1997 F-355 Spider - Carbon Black Metallic/Tan 15K miles

The responsiveness of my 95 355B was much better and I miss the TUBI exhaust. although, it is very hard to compare top down driving on a beautiful day.

2. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    it looks vey nice in black

3. prova

prova Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Gonzo
    What a beauty... More pics are welcome ;)

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Beautiful car!!

In reference to "The responsiveness of my 95 355B was much better and I miss the TUBI exhaust", just out of curiousity, how long had it been since you had the 1995? If driving them back to back, do you think there would be that much difference in acceleration? I know the tubi can give off the "impression" of more speed just by its sound, and sometimes we "remember" a car to be faster than it is if some time has passed...but that said, I have heard a couple of people say the 1995 355 was noticably more responsive then 1996, 1997, and maybe 1998 355's. Just curious how big the difference is. Congratulations on the new car!!!

5. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The time difference between driving my 95 and the new 97 was 1 day. I sold my 95 to a very good friend and drove it before I picked up the new one.

My impression is this:

The throttle response on my 97 is very delayed compared to the 95. From a driving perspective, I found it hard to blip the throttle for a nice heal and toe down shift..timing on my part was off because I anticipated a quicker response from the car. I believe this comes from the single mas-air set-up on my car.

Secondly, my new car does not rev as freely to red-line as the 95. Again, this isn't remembered behavior it's the feel and seat of the pants I got from driving them back to back. I think the 95 is a much easier car to drive smoother quicker.

The 97 is a great car...just not as quick in regards to responsiveness to my throttle inputs.

As for the Tubi...the exhaust note is missed BIG TIME. I went on a drive yesterday and drove behind my old car (the 95). I could not hear my car driving at the same speed in the same gear with the top down. If that isn't a diference, I don't know what is.

As for speed...I don't know...I never pulled out the timing gear to check times but seat of the pants tells me my 95 was quicker.

Mario

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Looks sweet,Lawwdog.Did you ever follow up on the Ebay Tubi for sale?
    Tony

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Put some of the best gas you can find in the tank and go for a 50 mile drive, then if it doesn't come around, check for clean air filters, and then you might want to have the throttle linkage resynchronized.

From a power perspective, the 95's have 5-8 more HP and a fatter midrange compared to the single MAS 96-99s.

Again, sounds like the intake is congested.

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    That reminds me of a story: my old NSX was sorta like that. It would keep the trottle open for a split second after u released the pedal. Quick shifts would result is the rpms jumping when the clutch was depressed. So I learned to wait a second after releasing the pedal. Also since I learned to manual drive on that car, I still do it now uncontisouly...which is getting annoying.

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Sorry being nostalgic. :)

10. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tonyh,

I went out of town for business and tried to find it on e-bay when I got back on Friday. It's no longer there? I guess I missed out.

11. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'll give it a try Mitch. Maybe the car needs a solid day of clearing the cobb webs.

12. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Beautiful car, Great Picture! I wonder if its paid for?

Just kidding.

13. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    Looks great! I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

14. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Lawwdog. nice work, I was trying to get down to SF to see that car before you bought it. It sure looked to be a beautiful car and very well maintained from what I was told and the set of pics that I had. Enjoy.
    My favorite color combo for the 355.

15. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Beautiful, congrats!

16. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Someone paid for it??????????? Maybe me, maybe the leasing company, maybe the bank?

Just playing vref. Thanks for the congrats.

17. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you. The car is very nice and documented from day 1. Now all it needs is a Tubi!

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nice man,....life is good! :)

19. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    From previous posts I remember it being pointed out that the 95
    Model year is the best performance (in all categories) due to the
    lack of DOT mandated emissions crap that comes on the 96-99 355 Models.

20. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My .2 cents is leave the Tubi off. The spider is loud enough with the wind noise when the top is down, tubi in my opinion is just too much noise.

21. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Can you post more pics lawdog?

22. J.Seven

J.Seven Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    You have the most beautiful color combo on a Ferrari, what a beautiful car, congrats.

J.Seven

23. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I may be a 31 year old granny, but I agree with vref; the Tubi is very loud on the spider - you get a headache from the noise if you get stuck sitting in traffic.

The Tubi sounds great otherwise though, but they'll hear you coming miles away, but maybe thats the point...

Best of luck on a sweet ride.

David

24. Jeff SD

Jeff SD Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    San Diego
    The 355 Spyder is ageless...that car will still look incredible 20 years from now. Very Nice Lawwdog !

Cheers

25. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'll be happy to when I get a chance....

Sorry, I'm busy at the office.