New Car Mile | FerrariChat

New Car Mile

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tpup, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tpup

Tpup Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Hello,

How many miles should be on a new car? I was surprised to find 61 miles on mine, it's my first Ferrari in 20 years so I'm just wondering if it has been "test" driven...

Thank you.
    Roy

2. Tpup

Tpup Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Roy
  3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    From browsing a few dealers it looks like that is about normal for a new Ferrari.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Ferraris are test driven on Maranello streets and at the Fiorano track and then back to the factory for adjustments, and sometimes repairs, before being shipped from the factory. The mileage figure you noted is about right. My 1976 GTB had 67 miles on the odometer when it was sold new at Algar.

Barry

6. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Awesome car - awesome color :)

61 sounds about right - I missed that one freeway on ramp so I put on about 4 extra miles on it during the test drive. Otherwise it would have been 57 miles.

Just kidding

Enjoy - in good health

7. J Nicks

J Nicks Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Beautiful car, I really like the color.

8. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    61 miles is on the lower side. They can come with around 100 miles and sometimes a little more than that if the car needed extensive tweaking before shipping. The highest that I have heard of is 117 miles when the car was shipped to the dealer.

9. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Elegant, very nice. Congratulations.

10. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    Typically, new cars hit the dealership with between 60-90 miles from the factory.

11. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

My 550 had ~90 miles on it, all done before the car came to the US per the bill of lading. The factory test drivers get to enjoy all of our cars for 60-100 miles before they are shipped to dealers worldwide. When we visited the factory, we saw them peeling out of the factory gates, an dreturning about an hour later...

12. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I've had 2 new 360s. One had 54 miles and the other 71.

13. Stradaleman

Stradaleman Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    The dealer also does a pre delivery inspection of the new Ferrari which often includes a test drive. My new stradale was recently delivered with 81 miles which seems high but is explained by all the test drives taken in Italy, and in the US.

14. prova

prova Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Gonzo
    #14 prova, Jan 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I you already visited Maranello, you will see about 10 news f-cars a day in the streets of Maranello beeing tested. There are about 30 test drivers... They told me that they test the car during ~150 km.

Like this one ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I would literally give up a nut for that job.

16. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    I ones saw a brand new 456 GT being driven on the airport into the loading area in a plane and than manoeuvred in the plane to place the car into the right position to fly him to the UK.
    The car was then probably not even 1 mile, but you have to remember that the guys that drive the car into the plane are no ferrari test drivers. They are people how are not used to drive Ferraris, and I can assure you that the loading area is very small to manoeuvre a F-car!!!
    But I have to say the guy who drove the 456 into the plane, was really careful with the car and he was a littlebit amased that he may drive the F-car.

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It WAS test driven, by a Ferrari test pilot at Fiorano and on the roads around the factory. This ensures that the car was sitting on its wheels correctly before it leaves the factory (alignment,...) and also ensures that the engine is performaing within specs on real world 'applications'.

18. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I used to work at a Porsche dealer selling new cars. All of the Porsche's would arrive at the dealership with a post card sized sticker in the window that posted the number of miles the car had on the odometer when it left Germany. Most cars had about 40 to 60 miles on them. The cars would accumulate another 10 miles or so during shipping and Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) at the dealership. We would remove those stickers when the cars made it to the show room. All of the Porsche's were test driven from the factory to the shipping yard to make sure there were no problems before leaving. Occaisionally, we would get a car with 100 miles on it. The Porsche Rep told us that this was normal if a car was test driven and a problem was found. They would return to the factory and repair the problem and then test drive it again.

I also worked at a Cadillac dealer for a while and all of those cars arrived with about 20 miles on them. They didn't test drive them before shipping. That's how long the assembly line is, give or take a few miles for shipping.

I remember when a shipment of Porsches was ruined because one car came unchained in the ship during a storm. That one car beat the heck out of all of the other cars on that deck. And there is nothing that can be done about it while they are at sea. But, that's a different story...