Wideband AFR sensors | FerrariChat

Wideband AFR sensors

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by atlantaman, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    anyone using a wideband AFR? what kind and what kind of controller?

Thinking about adding one to my TEC-3.

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I bought a WB unit from Tech Edge in Australia (www.techedge.com.au). They were recommended to me by a tuner I know and trust and he has been using one for several years. The Tech Edge WB unit It comes in two versions, one you build and the other pre-built. (I had my brother build mine and from what I gather, it is not an exercise for the faint of heart -- you have to have an anti static mat and generally know your way around a printed circuit board, set up the FA resistors and the pots for your altitude etc). Also, the WB uses either the Bosch or the NTK UEGO (L1H1) sensor (different WB versions, specify on ordering). I ordered the NTK UEGO. The WB unit can be connected to a Palm or PC to data log. Finally, it comes with an display (again, either pre-built or self assembled) and the cables required for power and sensor hook ups.

I have mounted the WB display just below the AC vents using some nylon interlock "tape" [available from Radio Shack] and have the WB "box" (which has two external LEDs to provide a visual indication of condition) mounted under the passenger seat. Wiring etc is hidden. Also, I had two bosses welded in the Tubi for the sensor (one for each bank).

It is too early to tell on usage (I hooked it all up a month ago).

There was a post recently for a WB unit - sorry I don't recall the details, but it was quite reasonably priced.
    HTH
    Philip

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Phillip are you using an aftermarket ECU? I have an Elactromotive unit in my car
    have been looking at the AEM wideband unit--ever look at this one?

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Atlantaman (Charles?), I am using an Electromotive HPX on my carb'd 308. To call it an ECU when all it controls is timing may be stretching it! My wideband does not interface with the HPX.

I don't know the AEM WB unit specifically (although the company is well represented in the aftermarket arena). I called Bill Cardell (we did a lot of Mazda turbo stuff together) and Bill had been using a Tech Edge WBO2 and strongly recommended it to me. My brother (an engineer with Sony) assembled the unit for me - but you could can also buy pre-built as I mentioned - and commented on how well made and designed it was. What ever you go for, just make sure it is a five wire sensor.

HTH
    Philip