Help! Need a new daily. | FerrariChat

Help! Need a new daily.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by F360@20, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Alright, I need to buy a new car for the daily use. I can not decide on what I should get?
    1.E46 M3
    I love bmw, I had a m3 before simply a amazing ride. I kinda want to get out of the coupe's thow. And im also scared if I got this I would go mod crazy and start buying things I would not need. (but still my fav)
    2.CLk 430
    Dislike how it is only auto. But I really like how they look!
    3.S4
    Has the 4 door which I would like. Also has twin turbo!!!! which if i bought i know I would start to do stuff too the day of.
    downside- to me looks like a jetta not cool.

Anyways any suggestions will help alot! If anyone thinks I should maybe look at something else tell me please.

2. Skelter

Skelter Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    If it was for me i'd get the M3, if not the S4 but i wouldn't get the Merc they feel too big and heavy.

If you want a sportier feel go for the M3 it may only be a little faster but it is much more fun.

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    A '93 Civic drives like a dream!

4. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    S4 if you live where it snows...

M3 if it rarely or never snows...

CLK430 if you're lazy and want to just cruise in heavy rush hour traffic...

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I'm not impressed with the build quality of the current MB's. They are also overpriced. I have just gone thru the same process, looking for a daily driver, and plan on picking up an M 3 SMG convertible later this week. Granted, it is not a snow car (have the Suburu WRX if needed), but its the right size, is built and finished well and has sufficient performance, out of the box, for a daily driver.

6. Chip D

Chip D Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2003
    Louisiana
    Since you want a 4 door how about a BMW 330 Zhp performance package

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    the current S4 isn't turbo. It has the normally aspirated A8 engine. It's awesome; I testdrove it two days ago and loved it. I'm also in the northeast and thus need AWD.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My vote would be S4.

9. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Maybe take a look at the Infiniti G35 AWD - lot of car for the money.

10. FastTalk

FastTalk Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2002
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Adam Alexander
    My daily driver is now a CL55, and I love it. I would buy a used CL over a new CLK, Just my 2c.

Adam

11. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Haven't driven the MB or the new S4, but I've driven the old S4 and the E46 M3 extensively, and there's no comparing the two -- the S4 drives like a stiffer and heavier Jetta, and the M3 drives like a true BMW.

I'd get the M3 hands down.

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The new M3 looks like a good car ... if it were $10K less overpriced.

The new V8 S4 looks interesting, depending on how well they managed the suspension. I was severely unimpressed by the massive body roll in a '99 A4, but the S should have a stiffer ride.

For four doors, four real seats, good handling, and turbo power, you might want to consider the Subaru STi or Mitsu EVO.

My EVO handles almost like a Ferrari, accels quicker than the 328, brakes shorter than an Enzo (below 80, at least), is a blast to drive in the snow, and is cheap enough to be a "beater".

The interior on the ricers aren't up to Euro standards, but you could replace the stock Recaros in the EVO with top end leather Ergomeds and still have money left over, compared to the Audi or Beemer.

But then, quite a few older drivers are self-conscious about the big carbon fiber wing. I don't mind, because I know it's functional, and I don't really care what the uninformed think about it. But in our conformist culture, it does bother those who worry what the Jones' would think.

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    These are all great cars - would look at your requirements - what exactly are you looking for and do you need?

To me the perfect practical daily vehicle to complement a Ferrari is an optioned out extended cab 4x4 truck, but everyone's different. :)

14. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    If you want a 4 door BMW and love the M3, I suggest you get either the 330 Performance package or a used M5. Although I am biased, the M5 is a great daily driver that delivers a lot of driving enjoyment.

15. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Agreed as long as back seat is not for adults (little crampt in there) But fantastic car and you don't look like EVERYONE else who has a BMW (lots and Lots of them)

16. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have an E46 M3 Convert. that I use everyday. I have put on 30K miles since new. I love it. I have not had a single problem and it is maint free for 3 years. The only issue if I had to do it over again is SMG vs. 6 speed. I have a 6 speed. Am not sure what I would get today.

I think the M5 is great if you want 4 doors. You can haul 4 people in an M3. Just not 2 big ones in the back or if you do - keep the distance short. However, the rear seats are def. useable.

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    You guys might think this is crazy, but one of my employees just bought a fully loaded Acura TL. It really rides and handles pretty well for 30k and the stereo and all the electronics are amazing. His is a six speed, short throws, easy clutch.

18. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #18 writerguy, Jan 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not crazy at all Good car As is the new Z
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    #19 L8Braker, Jan 12, 2004
    Here is my Daily...........I love the looks of car, it has plenty of power....moderate handling(lowered mine so it is pretty decent now), but like you I really want a manual.

I've owned 2 e-36 m3's and driven several e-46. For pure performance this is your best bet.

A friend has a 2001 S4....nice car nothing wrong with it, but nothing jumps out at you either. Stock S4 vs Stock CLK430 is identical accel, but he chipped his car and now smokes me hahaha.

20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Soooo, what I would like to know is who stood on the boot and took that pic?

DL

21. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Totally agree - the TL is a great car. Probably more like $35K with the appropriate options. Lots of space for 4 adults - and 4 doors.

22. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #22 writerguy, Jan 12, 2004
    Well I took the picture and drove the car

Set up Tripod mount with tiedowns to the roll over hoops and back bumper tow hook and used a remote release....

23. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I'd take the G35 over the TL in a heatbeat...rear wheel drive.

DL

24. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    New S4. 4.2 liter 5 valve per cylinder V8 with 340 hp at 7,000 rpm and 303 lb ft torque at 3,500 rpm. 0-60 in 5 seconds flat. It is not the quickest of the three but will run with anything. All three had 1/4 mile et's of 13.6 seconds.

Recently ( May 2003) picked by Car and Driver (and I thought BMW had them in their back pocket) over the C32 AMG and the M3. In their comparison testing they gave it a rating of 96 over the 2nd place M3 at 90 and 87 for the 3rd place M/B. Base price right at $50K.

One quick quote.
    "This four door is all about mainlining adrenaline to the left front seat, and it delivers three bags full. We predict the S4 will soon become famous for the trusty way it carves up the back roads. The V-8 rumble and its generosity of torque just add to the joy.

Here's your chance to catch a rising star".

Just my opinion, of course........

25. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    The G35 is a great looking car. The coupe looks amazing.