alfa of tacoma? | FerrariChat

alfa of tacoma?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by jbrosseau, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    this spring i plan on taking the 308 in for the belts, tensioners, and just have it gone through. i was wondering about what the alfa dealer charges to go into a 308. alot of people when i first bought the car told me "alfa of tacoma!!!! dont go to the dealer". also i may be interested in doing the belts, etc myself.

2. '77 308GTB

'77 308GTB Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    TD
    Never been there but heard good things. My 308 had a "major service" there before I bought it, along with a lot of other stuff including a new Tubi + exhaust manifolds, new A/C, new Koni's, r&r suspension bushings, new radiator, etc... the bill $4623 + tax. Sounds like a lot, but it really wasn't. That was in '01.

Todd

3. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    well still for parts and labor on a ferrari $4600 sounds like a deal to me. so figure a major costing maybe half that amount and a belt + bearing job maybe a quarter of that. but you never know what gremlins you may find once you open up a motor.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There are really too many variables to give anything close to an exact figure. The reason why, is that certain things may/may not need to be replaced/rebuilt, that can really add up...like if the car needs dist.caps, or the water pump rebuilt (or updated to the large bearing 328 style).

I've had two majors and one minor performed by Alfa of Tacoma, and so can sort of give you a "ball park". Figure around $2800 to get the basics done....all fluids and filters changed, new spark plugs, valves adjusted, belts and tensioners replaced, new cam seals, new valve cover seals, new dist seals, recharge A/C (nec. as the compressor must be removed to access the belts and tensioners). From there, "extras" ons can add up...Carlo will only do the stuff that your car needs, and will let you know in advance what is necessary. I think both my majors ended up around $3700k for different reasons...on the 308 I needed new brakes all around, and upgraded the water pump to the 328 style, and new factory plug wire set. On the 328 the alternator needed rebuilding, as did the water pump, and the heater controls needed a lot of work too (replace the air vent diverter motor), replace torn cv joint boots.

Bottom line, you will not find a more conciencious and honest Ferrari technician than Carlo at Alfa of Tacoma.

5. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    basically i can do everything on a car out of my own garage. but since all of my engine experience is on 350ci chevys i dont fully trust myself yet to get into the guts of a ferrari V8. if i screw up a 350 i know i can easily fix it without spending a ton of $. now a ferrari engine on the other hand..... but as far as suspension,interior,electronics,tuning,fluids,pumps, seals and gaskets i got that all covered. but thanks alot for the heads up dave. as always you have some usefull info to bring to the table.

6. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    For us, the Ferrari owners here in the NW, we are very fortunate to have Alfa of Tacoma near us. One simple thing that stands out about Carlo (owner of AOT) or as I like to refer to him as Professor Durante, is that he truely cares. He takes great pride and great care in all of his "children", not only from the technical aspect, but more importantly, form the owners aspect as well. I would love to talk to you more about AOT and "The Professor" if you like, feel free to send me an e-mail.

7. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    I just had my shocks done at Alfa of Tacoma. The Durante brothers took good care of me and my car. Four NEW KONIs, Eight Ferrari OEM bushings for the shocks, tax and labor=$1550.00. (308)

One thing I like about the shop is that it's an enthusiast's place. If you go in when things aren't too hectic, introduce yourself etc., you can plop your hands behind your back and peek around at the other cars in the shop.

Carlo will listen to your needs and make suggestions without trying to change your mind...I like that!

8. FAD2BLK

FAD2BLK Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That is great that you have the knowledge and confidence to do a lot of the servicing yourself! For those things you choose not to do yourself I can honestly recommend Carlo of Alfa of Tacoma. I have been taking my 348 there for nearly 4 years and have nothing but positive things to say. Stop by and talk with him sometime. You will also see that others think very highly of him as well; the shop is always packed with Ferraris!

9. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    thanks guys. i will stop by this spring or maybe a nice winter day when the sun is out and say hi. really sounds like the place to go.

10. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Joe, I've never had work done by him, but I've met him several times during some of your Northwest club events. Great guy. I find his stories of the good ol' days working as an F1 mechanic facinating...

11. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    Yes, Carlo in Tacoma is a master - among the best Ferrari mechanics on the west coast and a great person, too. He did a fantastic job on a top-end rebuild of my 308GTSi which Stan G now owns.

If you live in Seattle you really should consider going to Ferrari of Seattle, too. I am very surprised that anyone would say "don't go to the dealer." In fact, I'm surprised that none of the people posting to this thread have mentioned the dealer.

I've been a very happy customer of FoS's (and Bellevue Alfa before) for about 9 years and 3 different cars (512TR/308GTSi/Maser Biturbo) and have had great experiences throughout. They are ultimately professional, take the time to explain (and show) everything relating to a service and never make promises they can't keep.

If you want great local service, give them a try. If nothing else, stop by and take a look and chat with them.
    - Will

12. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Will,

Carlo's certainly a great guy to talk to. I've never used his services before so I couldn't comment on it.

I've gotten very good service, as you do, with Ferrari of Seattle. Unfortunately, FoS have taken a few hits on this site.

13. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    I have known of Carlo for many years but never used his services. I have been doing my own work. Does anybody have an opinion of Ron Tonkin's Grand Prix Motors in east Portland?

14. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    I have never used Alfa of Tacoma but I have heard ONLY good things.

2 service visits to FoS.

First time was for a mystery transaxle oil leak on my 15k mile 328. I suspected the pan gasket and/or oil pump so I resealed them both myself. Everything very clean now but still leaking. Decided to have FoS look at it and they discovered a porous spot in the side of the gearbox casing. I suggested JB weld and they concurred. $450 bill... my guess is the technician spent 2 maybe 3 hours total but I was OK with it and didn't grumble too terribly loudly.

Second time I brought my car in for a slight engine misfire. I suspected plug wires or some such thing but decided to let them diagnose it. The service advisor said they would spend a couple hours figuring it out and let me know. 3 days later, the call comes suggesting new caps, rotors, plug wires and extenders. All they needed to proceed was my authorization for $3200 including parts, labor and the diagnostic time plus there was no guarantee this was the whole problem. I pondered this option for perhaps 3 seconds and said "No, but thanks for the friendly advice". I went to pick up my car and as it turned out the friendly advice only cost me $287. I spent $100 on new Magnecor plug wires and another $100 on the special red silicone tubing and made new wires myself better than stock that look absolutely OEM. I bought 1 new plug wire extender (1 was obviously cracked which was probably my entire problem) 2 new rotors and 1 new cap and cleaned the other one (the one I replaced would of been fine had I used the proper screwdriver to remove the plug wire screw) and the car runs like new. If memory serves the retail price on these parts was significantly less from Tonkin. And I'm not talking about the fact that Oregon has no sales tax.

15. DeAvilla

DeAvilla Rookie

Jan 4, 2004
    Whidbey Island
    Full Name:
    Kent R. DeAvilla
    I spoke to Carlo in Dec. 02 regarding a major service on my 3.2 Mondial Cabrio. He was very pleasant and quoted a very reasonable price for timing belts/tensioners, etc... around $3000.00 I believe. At that time he was backlogged a month or two so I went with my second alternative. Brian Jessel Sport Cars. I had the service done in December 02. Within one week from my intial phone call to Roger/Tim Wills , the car was finished. Work was excellent. A few unkowns came up and were addressed while it was there, including: New cat, plug wires, spark plugs, tensioner bearings/belts, new o2 sensor, air filter, fluids. The total bill came to $3,700.00 American. I thought that was a smok'n' deal. In August of 03 I had Jessel/Yasik rebuild my 3.2 engine, including new factory crankshaft, factory mahle pistons,etc... a rebuild uncompromised. It came out to $21,000.00 Canadian, $ 15,000.00 US, I was very pleased with the price and the final product, especially coming from a Ferrari Factory Authorized Service Shop. The next service I might try Carlo at AOT as I have heard of his good work and expertise. The drawback of dealing with the Canadian shop is always the border protocols/paperwork/temporary bonds, yadayadayada.

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    $15k rebuild sounds like a bargain! You did well. What's the deal with customs? I have had my BMW worked on and never had it questioned. Even stopped at Canada Customs to get my receipts stamped so I could get my GST rebated back. :)

Of course I am not leaving the car up there, just dropping off and picking up the same day.

17. DeAvilla

DeAvilla Rookie

Jan 4, 2004
    Whidbey Island
    Full Name:
    Kent R. DeAvilla
    Ohhhhhh, I guess it wasn't that big of a fiasco. It just seemed like I got picked everytime I went up. Random drug/dogs through the car checks. The last time I went up, I brought my friend Jimi, he has an 87' TR and we got questioned and held up for about an hour going across. Maybe it seemed odd to them that two guys in their late twenties(I'm 30) were driving Ferraris across the border. Maybe they thought we were international drug dealers or something, at least thats the vibe I got.
    I also had to deal with Pacific Customs Brokers on the temporary bond release since I had left the car up there for a while. Jessel almost gotfined because I hadn't completed that part went I went back across to the US. I went back and took care of it, all is well. It just seemed like more drama than I cared for.

18. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Would have been taking my 308 in tomorrow for similar service but Carlo called and got backed up due to the weather last week, so will likely go next week.

I'll let you know when I'm done!!

19. DeAvilla

DeAvilla Rookie

Jan 4, 2004
    Whidbey Island
    Full Name:
    Kent R. DeAvilla
    Thorough communication is always a good sign. I'm sure he will provide excellent service. I 've heard he truly cares.

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I drive my 328 and my previous 308 up at least 3 or 4 times per year to Vancouver, never had a problem....I get more questions with the BMW. And always on the return with US Customs. I even have a Nexux pass, but they ask me if the car is mine...then what I do for living...then the name of the company....geez I'm 42yo for crying out loud.

Personally, unless Jessel asked for it, I would have skipped using the customs broker. You posted a bond or something? Not worth the hassle, neither US or Canada customs would have known or cared.

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I thought Brian Jessel was out of the Ferrari business?

As for Tonkin, I have been a customer of theirs for many years. When Rich was the service manager, I had no complaints at all. Since then, well, they've had a lot of turnover in their shop, and I don't think their experience level is quite what it should be.

I have taken the 456 to them recently (I bought it from them). I am very appreciative that they took care of me as a customer-- the car had some problems just after I purchased it. And, they did eventually fix it at no cost to me. However, it took much longer than I would have expected, and there seemed to be a lot of on-the-job-training going on. I think for newer cars, they are fine-- I am planning to keep taking the 456 to them.

However, last I heard, Gerry had retired. Assuming this is still the case, I would be reluctant to take my 365 there.

The last few years, I have been using Craig at the Jag Shop. He used to work at Tonkin and understands the older cars.

22. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    I purchased my car there. Personnel turnover occurred after I bought the car...at the time (Jan-Feb of '2003) the service writer/manager was very helpful, let me into the shop, gave me a tour of the facility while my new acquisition was undergoing a "30K" service (of sorts). They had at that time an older gentleman who was their "guru" for the older cars, I believe his name was Gary. Gary tuned in my car and did a wonderful job. Recently, Carlo, at "Alfa of Tacoma," gave the car a look over and told me that the car was well set up in the running dept. by someone who knew what they were doing.

However, I had problems in getting what was promised to me being delivered from Tonkin. In fairness, it perhaps was a communication breakdown between the Sales dept. and the Service dept. Nonetheless, shortly after I acquired my car, the service manager was fired. Letters I had written in an attempt to get problems and questions corrected were answered in a tone that made me out to be the mistaken one. The whole experience left a "bad taste in my mouth." I now feel like one of those 3XX F-car owners that should pay admission just to walk into the showroom. Thats too bad, because most of my family and my wife's family live in the Portland area...and there's no sales tax down there.

I just don't feel that that dealership lives up to its advertisement stating they're "The Ferrari Experts."

23. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    Got off my lazy butt and put up all the reciepts from my services on my site in preparation of selling my 328...

this is officially my outing -
    #1) hope the information on the page is of interest to other owners or future owners (i.e. reciepts for majors, minors, etc.)
    #2) hope this sells the car to someone local to the northwest (so i can buy it back when i can afford both a 456 and the 328... ;-)

Reciepts, etc. for all services at Alfa Tacoma for 6 years with a 1987 328 up at http://ferrari.threefourfive.com.

Enjoy.

-dq

24. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I've got my 355 at Tonkin for 30K - Prior owner burned up the clutch so it had to be completely replaced in addition to the 30K- I'm going to survey the final statement of work and costs to determine if I got good value. For far i've been treated courtiously - I'll be a good test case.

25. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Drove home from Alfa of Tacoma last Friday!! Carlo and Lino are great guys to work with. As soon as he found anything he needed to do beyond what I had originally asked for, he would call and let me know. Great service and very knowledgeable guys. Highly recommend doing business with them!! Nice bunch of cars there too!!!