Do You Own, Lease or make payments on your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Do You Own, Lease or make payments on your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by vref, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you _______________ your Ferrari?

1. Own (paid in Full)

2. Lease or Company Leases

3. Make Payments on

4. None of your Business

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Poll

Do You Own, Lease or make payments on your Ferrari?

2. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Looks like owning outright is in the lead.

Question for the financial folks......

Wouldnt it make sense though (even if one had a large amount of disposable cash) to use someone elses money to make such a purchase? The car is still going to be a depreciating investment is it not? If one can borrow say $150,000 on a home equity line for 4%, then be able to deduct the interest further lowering the effective borrowing rate, wouldnt that make more sense than using ones own reserves? Even these days, your own $150,000 can be used to easily make more than 4% return.

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Own mine outright. Either way, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying an F-car that is still depreciating any measurable amount. As an example, on the 308, 328, and 348 series, the depreciation cycle has leveled off. So...your only real expenses are maintenance costs(overblown), gas, and insurance.

With any luck, you can sell the car later for about what you gave for it. Certainly an inexpensive hobby once the "big money" for the purchase has been spent. Not the same story on the 355's and newer. However, you would think that purchasers of those cars are fully aware of the depreciation hit lying ahead and probably don't care. Suits me, but I couldn't stomach it.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Never finance a toy !

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Always use OPM if you can find a better use for the cash earning a higher return.

6. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    happy to say that I own it.

7. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Lease versus buy has always been an interesting issue. I think the right answer depends on many factors. The only way to proceed is grab a spreadsheet and compute the total cost of ownership in both cases, while considering as many factor as you can including tax savings, investment opportunities, how long you think you'll keep the car and all the other small numbers that add up.

One interesting point about leasing is that it is better to start by shopping for lease companies and then find a car. The dealer offer may not be the best one.

I have always owned my cars but next time I may lease. Will see....

AW

8. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I agree, especially for an older car that is holding it's value. Buy a 308 for say $28k (it's a nice one). Finance it with an equity loan so the interest is deductable. Sell it again in 5 years for say $25k. Not counting expenses, you've driven a Ferrari for 5 years for $3k.

Now a $220k Ferrari is a different story; after 5 years you'll be out a ton of cash so if you couldn't afford to pay cash, you probably can't afford the depriciation either. Unless you're so rich you just don't care! LOL

Ken

9. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Own. Gives you nice sense of pride in ownership.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I own both my cars...I am rather averse to debt, especially for a "toy" as Frank Parker says. When I get the 355, it will be purchased outright as well.

11. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    "Cash and Carry"

12. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    I own my outright. It's a comforting feeling sliding your car side ways through a corner and know if you hit something and total the car you still are not paying on a car you can not drive.

13. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Owning you car gives you a "get out of trouble" card if you need quick cash.

14. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
  15. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    #16 MARQ, Jan 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Own, but in my wife's name...
    Ciao

Eugenio

17. Inter911

Inter911 Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    I've always gone by the rule that if it depreciates then lease it but if it appreciates (or has the potential to do so during the time of ownership/use) then purchase.

18. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Never tie up cash in a toy!!! INVEST your cash and earn a return, instead of letting it sit idle in a car.

Ernesto

19. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    I agree...I use money bags instead of twine when I'm carrying cash in the Ferrari...

20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    62 250 GTO, if u have ur car paid off you really cant get to that cash unless you sell it whereas if you finance it you still hold ur cash in your own account...did i miss understand you?

21. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    What Frank said.

22. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Ditto here.

23. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I own. Nothing like not having to continue to pay on something, especially if it depreciates. I save equity lines for things like realestate deals(appreciating assets)I can turn quickly, that is if I need to. Ideally I try to use my own $$$ for most everything.

24. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I too agree with Frank's statement. You want to EARN interest not pay it.