348 Dash Vents | FerrariChat

348 Dash Vents

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mvespo348, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mvespo348

mvespo348 Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    North New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Does anyone have a solution to repairing the sticky or gummy film on the air duct vents located on the dash without replacing them with new?

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Just replace them as no repairs will look OEM. After you replace them never use any type dash dressing or cleaner on them as that is what makes them deteriorate and get sticky in the first place.

3. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
  4. brm

brm Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bruce R. Morehead
    Check the archives for several posts on this subject. This will happen to other parts also. Briefly, remove them by pulling straight out (small clips hold them in), disassemble them, remove gunk, paint with satin finish black paint, reassemble them and press them back in place. If you want a 100 point car, get new ones.

5. mvespo348

mvespo348 Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    North New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you for the fast help and recommendations. I would replace all 3 of them if the price was right but since it's not I would rather jump into it myself and refinish them. I will take step by step photos as I go...

6. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Should you not use anything on them to clean such as armorall?

7. mvespo348

mvespo348 Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    North New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Today I purchased adhesive stripper and a cleaner as per recent posts. 1st project passenger vent. Brushed on the stripper let set for 10 minutes. Went to wipe it off and the goo just would not stop! 1st project "disaster"! I will purchase new ones.

8. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Don't give up. It is messy, but keep scrubbing. You will get past the goo and down to the hard plastic.

Good luck - John

9. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    Buy a heavy duty paint stripper.........I used Strypeeze......about 5.00 for a quart. Let the parts sit in this completely submerged overnight............goo will wash off with HOT water in the morning........maybe use a toothbrush, but all of it will come off easily..........then dry and paint...........

10. mvespo348

mvespo348 Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    North New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I will try it again tonight and see. Thanks for the encouragement.

11. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    Be sure to use a heavy duty PAINT STRIPPER.........no scrubbing.........adhesive remover/alcohol/goof off/ citrus stuff won't work, it just softens it and then you have to scrub forever..........good luck

12. mvespo348

mvespo348 Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    North New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Will Zip Strip Work? I don't know where I can find this Strypeeze product.

13. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    Yeah, Zip Strip should be fine...........Strypeeze or any other comparable stripper can be found at Lowe's or any other comparable store..........

14. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Does anyone know I the part around the steering wheel that contains the vin can be purchased from Ferrari . mine is turning to a sticky goo. My other option I guess is to have it covered with leather

15. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Soap, hot water, and a scouring pad will work just fine. That's how I cleaned mine, just takes a little patience...

Even if you go and replace with brand new OEM pieces, they will become sticky over time again...

Check the old archives... there are LOTS of old threads about this, including pictures.

Good luck!
    Byron

16. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    I stripped and repainted this part also. The VIN plate is just glued on.

Here's the link with pics...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/320204.html

-John

17. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I feel your pain here.
    I had to strip all my vents and I repainted them black. It took all evening, one night to do them. DO NOT become impatient, the goo does eventually all come off. I scrubbed one of mine for almost two hours before it was truly clean, but it will eventually come off. "Stick with it".
    These vents can be expensive to replace, and if you're trying to win the concourse, yes, get new ones. Personally, I think the paited ones look far superior to the factory rubberized ones.

18. jesada

jesada Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Use lighter fuel. It make sticky gum melt.

19. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    A friend of mine in Montreal is just getting started w a fiberglass/ carbon fiber business and he has made some 348 parts for another chatter. The quality of work is excellent and the prices are very good. Contact Andre at : [email protected]. Tell him Bill, aka Doc, sent you.

20. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    I removed mine, disassembled them and used lacquer thinner and a scouring pad to get all of the sticky coating off. I then used Krylon simiflat black spray paint from Walmart to repaint them. They look like new. This is a messy job so you may want to use gloves. Otherwise your hands will take a week to look clean again. This works for all of the other plastic parts that get sticky also.

21. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The following message represents the views of this Fchatter and are not representative of FerrariChat, Ferrari SPA, Ferrari NA, or Interpol. YMMV
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord no... Armorall products are about the worst possible thing you can put on a car. In addition to becoming a dust magnet, ArmorAll seems to behave like a crack-addicted tramp: it's a great product the FIRST time, but then it seems to take more and more applications to keep things looking good. There are very conflicting stories about the drying affects of ArmorAll on leather, plastic, etc. In my experience, I agree that AA does seem to cause premature drying/cracking whereever it's applied.

There are lots of other products which are much safer -- basically, look for products that are silicone-free. You'll never get the same "bling bling" shine without the silicone, but stuff will last much longer. You might want to look into Griot's vinyl/rubber care. For leather, just use a REAL leather product like Meguires, Hide Food, or Griots.

My 348 dash vents are still quite nice. No real gummy/stick stuff. Maybe summertime will bring it out. By the way, I don't need no stinkin' vents! The whole roof comes off instead!

-Daniel