Satellite Radio | FerrariChat

Satellite Radio

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by spidr, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    When I first heard about this about 4 years ago I thought it was going to be hideously expensive and full of BS. Well, I decided to jump in as Sirius is offering good promotions along with "warehouse" store pricing on the equipment. After 2 weeks I must say it is worth it. There truly are no ads. Its' nice. All kinds of music(100 channels) and some sports and talk radio uncensored! The home kit says the antenna needs to be near a west facing window in my neck of the woods but I just place it straight up on the stereo and it works fine. Looking forward to the drive to Florida now. Cd's are getting pricey and it seems as if the radio is 60% ads now. If you were considering this system but were leary go ahead and give it shot. I have Siruis at $12 a month and added a friend at $7. XM is a bit cheaper but I think they have ads. No affiliation. Just a satisfied customer as of now.

2. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Sirius is better, BUT as things go now they do not have enough cash to make it to break even. If they somehow attract subs like xm then you will be ok and stock would also but not as things are right now.
    T

3. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    I was curious about that. Maybe they will need to use ads to generate $...If so, I'm gone

4. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I have XM and think it's great. I use my receiver in the car and at work. The jazz stations I listen to have VERY few commercials --- almost nonexistant compared to regular FM radio. I wouldn't be without it anymore.

5. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    I received Sirius as a gift for the holidays. I could only get a satellite signal ONCE, on Christmas day. Last Friday, I cancelled my subscription, due to the difficulties in receiving a signal. The one day it worked, I did enjoy it!

6. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I had a 3.5 hour drive from Detroit to Toronto a few weeks ago and rented a car with XM. It was great!!! First time I'd heard either one (Sirius or XM)... pretty cool.

7. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I've been thinking about buying some Sirius stock (around $2.50 last I checked), but unless they get some contracts with vehicle manufacturers, I see them falling by the wayside.

8. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've had XM for over a year now... completely love it. I've never been a radio listener, since it's 50% commercials, 20% idiots talking, and the other 30% crappy music that's repeated 10 times a day for 3 years until some new act comes along. XM is great though... Only a few channels actually have commercials, and even then, there's maybe 5 minutes of commercials per hour of music, with no pissant dj's yapping about J-lo's latest adventures in between.

I use Hertz for rental cars, and I always request a car with satellite radio, although they use Sirius. I think the programming on Sirius is pretty good, but don't think it's as good technically (poor reception, takes anywhere from 5-15 seconds to acquire a signal, etc..).

As for stock values... I was going to buy XM stock when I bought the service. I told a few people at work to look into it... it was in the $2.50's at the time (early 2003). It's now floating around $28-30. Been kicking myself ever since, although a few of my old coworkers have been thanking me. Sirius was at .70-.80 at the time as well, and has come up to the mid 2's. Missed out on that one as well....

-R

9. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    You are right on. They have exclusive "contracts" with ford and daimler/chrysler and bmw, but they have been dragging their feet on factory installs- the key to success! XM is partially owned by GM and gets most of their subs from factory installs. I saw on here a guy post about ford wanting to be in on sat radio but couldn't at the time because of explorer/firestone mess. I see ford watching sirius bleed itself dry and then coming in with a buyout and then installing it in millions of cars every year. Sirius reception should be best as they have 3 sats to xm's 2. I bought sirius at .95 and got out at mid 2's and then it jumped to 4.
    T

10. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    The difference is that XM has rented space on hundreds (thousands?) of ground relays as well, so even if the satellite is blocked by a mountain or whatever, the signal is still delivered by the towers. I don't think Sirius has this, or at least not as extensively as XM. From my experiece, XM has a *much* more stable signal, and much faster response times. When you change stations, it happens instantly, and the display instantly updates with the artist, title, etc. On the other hand, Sirius seems to lag... When I first turn it on, it takes anywhere from 5-15 seconds to pick up a a signal, and when I change stations, there's a 2-3 second lag from when I press the button to when it actually changes, then another 5-10 seconds before it picks up the artist information.

In the end, I think it will come down to a VHS/Beta or Mac/PC thing. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but one has more backing and better marketing.. in this sense, XM is way ahead of Sirius.

Good move on SIRI by the way. Just another reminder as to why I kick myself every day when I check stock prices and wonder why I didn't just plunk down a few bucks...

-R

11. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Just saw this on the XM site:

Starting February 1, 2004, 100% of XM Radio's music channels will be Commercial-Free!

12. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I have been watching Sirius stock, they had a nice pop last week but have come back down to the lower three dollar level. Any opinions out there about this stock?

13. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    You can order either XM or Sirrius in a new Audi.

Sirrius just signed with the NFL as the official radio broadcast link for them. They are installing several NFL related stations to their broadcast selection. Now if they could add some live race coverage.........

14. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Not sure about SIRI... Their subscriber levels have been way off the mark since day one, which is the only metric I can think of that really matters in a business like this. I don't know how they'll recover either, since they're getting trounced by XM in every respect. They went through a phase last year where they were actually giving away free receivers if you subscribed for a year.

I'm no expert, but I have a feeling they're going to be the Betamax in this match up... probably stick around a few years, maybe maintain a core group of faithful hippie subscribers who will make anti-XM websites and t-shirts, then eventually flounder and fade away like an orbital Corey Feldman.

-R