612 - Opinions | FerrariChat

612 - Opinions

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Modificata, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    So what do us UKers think of the new 612 S? Im a little mixed. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I dont. Not sure what to make of it.

Has anyone seen it in the flesh yet? Anyone planning on ordering one?

2. gumball3000

gumball3000 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Ed Neilson
    Not seen it in the flesh yet. One of my friends was at the launch and said it was absolutley massive.

I love it. The interior looks fantastic too! Perfect step forward from the 456 which was the perfect step forward from the 400!

Ed

3. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I think the Scaglietti will be a grower... I hated it on first sight, but now love it, esp the interior. The 456 is just such a beautiful car, I guess the 612 is a bit of a shock to many.

Great spec, and no competition if you want something like that. It would certainly be on my lottery win shopping list.

If I might hijack your thread for a moment, a modern 2+2 Ferrari is very appealing- imagine something like a 360 with some rear seats like a Carrera. Small, but v useful if you want to take the kiddy on a trip too, and would make the difference in my case between the Ferrari staying at home or getting used a lot of the time. Shame Ferrari don't make one... 360 Mondial anyone?

I used to take my 1 yr old daughter out in the 328 (top move; missus got a break, I got a drive, brownie-points credited), but can't do that in the 355 'cos of the passenger airbag.

Robert

4. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Ok my mind is made up. I just saw the video below (re-post from someone elses post). The car looks much better on video than it does in a 2D still picture.

http://vw.c3cars.com/CFJFiles/C3Cars/9971.wmv

Rob - I agree to a certain extent to what you are saying. For me no matter how much I love the 355, it would always have to be a 2nd Ferrari simply because of the two seats. My social life revolves around my family, so a two seater would rarely get used. But I do believe the 360 and future replacements should remain 2 seater, as it would remain a purer sports car.

456/612 caters for the 2+2 market, Although I wouldnt mind seeing a Mondial replacement. Perhaps another attempt at a mid engined 2+2.

5. gumball3000

gumball3000 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Ed Neilson
    There is a great video on the Ferrari Owners site with Luca Montezemelo talking to camera about the 612. Very impressive shots of the car too. I love it! I have it back on my mac at home....E mail me and I will send it to anyone who hasn't seen it!

Ed

6. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    To some extent I can't be arsed with the seemingly endless debate around Ferrari 2+2s. You either have a family or people you want to drive around with, and get it, or you don't and won't. Personally, they're as close to having your cake and eating it as I've ever come across. Piling your family in for a weekend away, or a day at the coast is as good as it gets IMO. My kids just love it, and in my currency that's priceless. Enthuisiast boards have a tendency to become a bit rarified, where every little detail is picked over. Most people just see that it's a Ferrari.

I've yet to see a 612 in the flesh, and will reserve complete judgement, mainly around the nose, until I do. I will have one in red in a 2-3 years time, finances/enthusiasm/garage space permitting.

Kevin