Dino 246 Tire selection | FerrariChat

Dino 246 Tire selection

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dm_n_stuff, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Looking for some input on tire selection for my Dino. The XWX Michelins are about $280 each, and only an "H" rated tire anyway. Anyone out there have a modern replacement they are happy with?

Also size: has anyone out there swapped the 205/70 for a 195/60-14?

Finally, I have an extra set of wheels that I want to get refinished. Paint/clearcoat/bake or powdercoat?

thanks,

Dave

2. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Dave, the Michelin XWX is a "V" rated tyre. Pirelli also make a 205/70-14 in a V, it's a P-4000 from memory. I have not tested them on a 246 so I cannot comment. You could also try a Pirelli 215/65-14 P-6000, they will be fine on the 6 1/2" rims but I don't suggest you go wider. These work well on a Dino.

Carl.

3. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Whoops, Dave, the 195/60's you suggest will reduce the gearing, do you want to do this? Carl.

4. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Probably about a 10% reduction. Would prefer not to, but there seems to be considerably more selection at the 60 size, and I don't lose any tread width.

Mechanic @ Algar in Bryn Mawr suggested that the XWX compared more to a modern "H" rated tire. Guess he was mistaken.

Thanks

5. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Dave,

When fresh, the XWX is pretty grippy, the treadwear index is just 100, a P-Zero is 140 and a Yokohama 032R is 60 as an example. Does your car carry the 6 1/2 or 7 1/2" wheels? If the 7 1/2, you could go to a 225/60-14 no problem, but dino's can feel a bit ponderous with 225's on the front.

Carl.

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

6 1/2", no flares. I have XWX's now, but they are very tired. I think the 205/70 is the best bet. But the 195-205/60 would work too. Tread and tire width are within .2" of the 205, and should fit.

I have a set of Sumitomo HTR200's that I'm going to run for a while, but, I'm looking at all options for the long term. I have Sumitomo HTR Z's on my 911, and they have been excellent handling tires. So I figured I'd give them a try on the Dino, but, never hurts to get a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion from guys who have had Dino's for a while.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would go with what an experienced painter recommends on the wheel paint. A number of folks posted of issues with paint bubbling on magnesium 308/328 wheels after a few months to a year after refinishing. Most used supposedly good outfits. My friendly painter says preperation is the key, and any slight error will cause the problems they experienced.

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I got two professional opinions here. Ferrari Dealer (Algar) says, "paint, clearcoat, bake is very sturdy, seen several that last very well." My British Car restoration guy (Cloverleaf Racing) says "Powdercoat, it lasts forever. Won't chip, ding, etc."

Guess I was looking for experience with the powdercoat, as it looks good, maybe a little thick, but sure is bullet proof.

Thanks.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Dave,

I have Michelin XWX 205 70VR14s on my GTB. They are indeed V-rated and made in France by Michelin's Vintage Tire Division. They're nice, when fresh. I know Coker Tire has just received a fresh supply of XWXs.

The Pirelli P-4000s are H-rated for the US market. They were V-rated for the European market about two years ago when I was looking for new tires. Check with your local large tire dealer as he might be able to order the Euro Pirellis for you. I wound up getting the XWXs which were original equipment on my car.

Barry