Terrific engine explosion | FerrariChat

Terrific engine explosion

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    This is a link to a picture when the engine of my buddy Eddie Hills top fuel dragster engine let go at Dallas about three years ago--maybe four.

http://www.toytrump.com/p53-225-318-nhra-race-image-eddie-hill-rare.htm.

I was reading the post the other day about top fuel dragster stats and thought that this is good example of just how powerful a 5000 hp engine can be when it lets go.

Just click on the link and enlarge the picture. Completely blew the heads, supercharger, headers and intake manifold toatally off of the car. Pieces of pistons, the lower part of the block and bits of the crankshaft had to picked up for 30 minutes after it exploded. Horrific sound.

2. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
  3. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I believe it is the 6th or 7th print on this page.

Eddie Hill explosion.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    fwiw,
    doody.

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    damn

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    "AAAUGGGHHH.....FIRE BAD!!!!"

7. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
  8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not as good as this example but I can remember witnessing 2 really great (bad) engine failures that were impressive to watch:

1. Ferrari 308GTB race car went bang right in front of me ... you could see the bottom internals of the engine ... oops!

2. Ford Falcon GT coupe went bang in a big way and just stopped dead with a huge cloud of smoke ... assume not much left of that engine also.

3. I'll include my own worst one ... when I broke a crank at 8000rpm. You could wiggle the crank front around (after it had cooled down). Everything fncked ... engine never ran again! One of the largest bangs I have ever heard!

Pete

9. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Referring back to the drag race stats post. This is what happens when that T/F engine expires early. BTW, he did another one just like this one the next week at Houston. Found out that the racing block of the engine had a flaw in the casting and it suffered a weakening of the lower end. Cars that run on the edge like these do cannot have a weak point anywhere in the engine.....no forgiveness, just a massive explosion.

10. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    We were dyno testing a Winston Cup Chevy 355 (one of Richard Childress's if memory serves) when it threw a rod at 6000 RPM. What an expensive mess....