Crystal Cove on Sundays | FerrariChat

Crystal Cove on Sundays

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by G-force, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Since I work every Sat and live in Riverside,I was wondering if there is anyone/thing there on Sundays or is this strictly a Sat tradition?
    TIA

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    As far as I know it's Saturday only - I'm not aware of any get togethers on Sunday. :(

3. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    It is getting so big on Saturdays I think the end is near......
    I almost drove the F40 down there this morning to do some shopping. Sunday would actually work better for me too.

Since it is a pretty big F-Car show anyways, Maybe we should start a Sunday breakfast/show/drive and leave Saturday's to the left over donut crowd?

Rick

4. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Now I'm getting interested.
    STEVE

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Lets do a Ferrari deal on Sundays! I'll be Definitely in on that!!!!! Lets see how the other chat members respond????
    GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    This is off topic but i've never heard of a place called crystal cove until now. What's so special about this place and why is it so popular?

7. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I like Saturdays because:

A) Let's me view a variety of cool cars
    B) Let's me sleep in on Sundays before I go back to work on Monday. And that extra sleep (when you have kids) goes a long way.

Additionally, if we're going to do a Sunday Ferrari get together, we should pick a different spot. While Crystal Cove is nice, it'd be better if we came up with an "original" idea for a place to gather (like the area in or near Fashion Island someone yesterday brought up). This way we can establish a "new" place rather than gather at a place that has more and more tension from car nuts and the plaza/homeowners.

8. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Hey guys. Good seeing most of this weekend. Saturday was absolutely crazy at Crystal Cove. I think Rick may be right about the end being near. As everyone knows the new time commencing next week will be 7am which means there will be a line of cars on Coast Highway at 6:45 waiting to go in. I am sure a bunch of people will simply pass if it becomes too much of a hassle.

From what I know all of this came about because of complaints from the residents who live above the promenade. I guess the roar of throaty V-12's and Big Block Chevy's at 6 in the morning was not their idea of an acceptable alarm clock when they purchased their homes. This begs the question - what can we do to keep such a great gathering alive if the end does come to pass?

The only place I can think of that would be great and would likely never outgrow space would be the Irvine Spectrum Center. I think the idea of Fashion Island would still result in problems from Newport Beach. They are pretty strict with their regulations. According to the lady from the Irvine Company who was in attendance on Saturday - part of the issue is a noise ordinance that must be adhered to between the hours of 11pm and 7am in Newport Beach. That was the crux of the residents' complaints - noise prior to 7am.

Irvine may not be much less lenient but then again - the Spectrum is so far from any residential neighborhood and there is so much space that it would be hard to argue against. All this assumes that the Spectrum would allow such a gathering. Anyway, that is my .02. I think I will give them a call this week and chat with someone I know in the management office there. Just feel them out to see if it would be a consideration or not.

One other thing - there must have been 30+ Ferraris there this weekend. If we could get the Ferrari guys to find another venue and invite some of the Porsche guys to come - I think we would have the beginning of another great gathering some place. What do you guys think?

Jeffrey

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm up for any ideas. Who said it had to be before 7:00. The first Sunday of every month we have a Breakfast??? or something (besides Crystal Cove).
    I think it's great everyone is making friends on this forum. I met ALOT of you guys from C.C. and definitely want to keep meeting. I probably won't go to C.C. as often (even though 3 or 4 other guys with Enzos want to meet up at C.C. this comming weekend????) keep you posted.
    again this is my .01 cent. Since I don't have .02 cents after buying the ENZO!

10. mensi

mensi Rookie

Dec 9, 2003
    How about up the street at the corner of PCH and MacArthur. Large parking lot presumably empty in the morning. Tommy Bahama Cafe (they do serve B/fast now), Bristol Farms and some other coffee place. South side of the parking lot would be ideal.

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Id be up for anything. If there is a Ferrari there, and it doesnt conflict with any orchestra thing going on, IM THERE!

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'm up for anything - I'm hoping this Saturday we could still do the Crystal Cove thing for Augustine who is coming down from New Jersey.

I like Jeffrey's idea of doing it at the Spectrum Center - I don't think there are any homes near there & the parking lot is huge - Seems like the perfect spot.

13. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    How about a new spot every time, like a rave? 300 fast cars show up. Maybe use Crystal Cove only once a month, etc. That way at least once a month it would be near everyones house, probably see more variety that way.

Also, what is the deal with getting up at 5 am? There is a huge portion of the CC lot that never gets used, it also is furthest from the homes and is nearest coast highway. I bet people can handle the 500 ft. walk. I suggest shoving the start time back to 9am as well. The early start time is driven by the desire to park in a cool spot. Why not start our own cool section way away from the main section. People can handle walking 500 ft. to see the F-car section. It will help them, between driving for a "hobby" and channel surfing, we will probably save a few lives while we are at it.

14. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'm just curious,

But what was the big commotion with the guy in front of Starbucks around 7:15am? I saw some older guy arguing with the so called manager woman and he was giving her the riot act....!!!

Apparently, she was pretty bit*chy about things and several people were giving her sh*t...

I'm not taking sides because I walked in at the last minute.....

Anyone know what the problem was?

(The car looked like something out of WWII )

Just curious
    Patrick

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I am not sure Patrick - Were they still handing out flyers when you got there? The flyers were saying how people can't come there anymore before 7 am. Maybe they were upset about that?

16. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hey guys,
    I think it's totally awesome that there is so much buzz and interest to meet up in the mornings!

I think a once a month breakfast in OC is a great idea. Aside from the monthly drives that the driving club will be having, I think we should arrange an informal breakfast meeting on sat's or sun's...:)

I agree that the CC days are numbered... and slightly played out, in my opinion. You have to wonder what the gathering would be like without the 30+ ferraris that showed up yesterday!

I'm not sure the spectrum is that great of an idea... even though the lot is wide open, it's pretty barren out there that early in the morning. Why don't we start a new thread for ideas for monthly breakfasts? Sat or Sun will work for me, except for the next 2 weekends...

Maybe we can do a regular dine and drive every sunday in OC...

Byron

17. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The time of day is the biggest problem for a lot of people.

I can deal with the hour and a half drive, but getting up at 4:30am or even at 8am after a hard week, without a drive or other event planned besides hanging around for coffee, is extremely difficult.

Car night held in the San Fernando Valley which rotates locations needs a schedule (held on the web and e-mailed) and happens primarily in the early evening.

A change in time might make it a little more social for the significant others too. Its about the friendships and the cars are just a nice benefit. A more private kind of get together while keeping some ties to the Sat Crystal Cove event sounds like a really good alternative.

Sunny

18. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm definitely up for a Sunday morning "meet 'n eat" ... since Saturday is a work day for me, also. I like the idea of a new place, that is convenient, and sizeable enough for an unknown number of F-cars. However, perhaps a "regular" meeting place would be best, since you never know who will show up. This way, people can just drop in, without having to know the details. That's why the CC meet has become so big ... same time & place. Although seeing all the other cars is great ... an F-cars exclusive would be terrific. I agree that being able to bring our significant others would be really fun!

19. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    I hope Crystal Cove keeps going until I can get my Model T down there a few times until it is sold. I am with Jordan any place where the F-cars gather I am up for. I particularly like the breakfasts and/or drives. It's cool to see the F-Chatters hitting it off. I continue to thank Rick and now Armen for bringing their "supermodels" out the the events and agree that the F-cars pretty much makes the CC event.

20. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Well now that I started this thread about Sundays...My car isn't
    even being shipped from Algars until the 26th. I was just planning ahead.
    I've owned 6 Ferraris in the past but haven't had one since 89 and am
    anxious to get back into the "F" car thing. A week before it arrives
    I'll try to post a Sunday breakfast spot at a reasonable hour in
    the Newport area for those interested?

21. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    The truth is, I like early morning saturdays. I can wake up while the wife and kids are asleep, hang out and see some cool cars (all kinds of cars, not just limited to ferrari's), and be back home by 9:00 to spend time with the family. I think that's why this thing is setup so early.

I imagine that if the rules don't change, the venue will change eventually. I think lots of people like to be there early. And nobody likes rules.

Dom

22. SAF1

SAF1 Karting

Jun 26, 2003
    OC CA & Bangkok
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sat or Sunday I will be there! One more thing, if you read the regulation hand out on Saturday. it says no hot rod or custom cars allowed before 7 am, it did not mentioned any F-cars or P-cars.

23. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I just got off the phone with the Director of Leasing for the Irvine Company who handles Crystal Cove and Fashion Island. Evidently, the Irvine Company owns the promenade but has a separate management company that manages the property. She was totally unaware of the fact that the restriction for early entrance was going to be implemented this upcoming Saturday. She agreed with me that if Starbucks and Pacific Whey are open for business at 6am then there is no way that the management company can prevent us from accessing the property at that time. Better yet - she is a Porsche owner and loves cars! She was just transferred from Los Angeles and plans to attend this Saturday. She has promised to call me back within the next day or two to fill me in on her conversation with the management company. She would like to see CC stay and grow although I have explained that it is literally "outgrowing" the facility! More to follow!

24. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    hehe - You go Jeffrey!

25. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Awesome stuff Jeffrey!

Dom, Im with you about Crystal Cove on Saturday, it seems to work well and I have no problems. Though if the ferrari guys branch off on another day Ill probably do both. I think we are talking about only doing 1 day a month so it shouldnt interfere with us CC guys.