Shipping Ferrari on Open Trailer | FerrariChat

Shipping Ferrari on Open Trailer

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jerrari, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I'm thinking of buying a 308 that is in Florida. I can get it to Michigan for about $650.00 in an open trailer or about $950.00 in an enclosed trailer. Why should I spend an extra $300.00 just to avoid getting a little snow/slop on the car (that I can get off for way under $300!)? Am I not thinking of something here? What other potential risks/hazards are there w/ open trailer transport? Thanks, Jerry.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Open trailer problems are sand blasting of the front. I think it would be more than just driving the car because the tow vehicle is turning up stuff. Covering doesn't work either because as the wind blows, the cover will wear the corners.

I think it's worth the extra $300.

3. udalmia

udalmia Guest

open trailer? no offense but you must be nuts! PLEASE dont do that to such a beautiful car, i would seriously not recommend it, especially after seeing the way these cars are loaded onto those trailers, "stuffed" and handled.. please dont do it

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

How will you feel when Uncle Cooter's F-150 is racked above your car and leaks all sorts of oil, brake fluid, and grime onto your new F-car. No way...

5. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    open trailer is a bad idea. the dirt you can wash off for less than $300 but to repaint the nose or replace a windsheild is a lot more than that! that is a long trip and all will go fine until that branch falls on it 2 blocks from your house.

6. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Salted road slush flung up on your car by passing Semi trucks.

'nuff said.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i speak from experience..... NO OPEN TRAILERS FOR CARS THAT ARE WORTH $$$$$$$ . we dont need to know what you paid for the 308, but i am sure $300.00 is a drop in the bucket relative to purchase price. congrats on you car by the way, please post pics, i need the motivation. i was in florida to get 2 muscle cars and both fell through.

8. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Actually driving it the distance would be no different. The sand, salt, gravel, acid, rain, dirt, oils et cetera will accumulate either way. For your own edification and for ours take a picture close up before and after the shipment. Have it cleaned befor it leaves and after you get it for a fair comparison.

aehaas

9. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Don't be penny-wise and lbs foolish.Rock chips,flying dbris,salt,tar etc etc.
    "This ain't no way to treat a lover"

10. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Ok, I'll ship it in an enclosed trailer! I didn't think that it could actually get sandblasted per say. I'll post some pics if the deal goes through. Thanks fellas!

11. richanton

richanton Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    It depends on who is driving the truck. I have shipped nice cars on an open trailer, not a big deal beacause I loaded the car and I was driving the truck. I was careful about debris and loaded the car on the back of the trailer so it would be the least open to damage. Not sure if I would trust just anyone with a Ferrari on an open trailer.

carreaper, were you looking at those muscle cars at the Kruse auction in ft. lauderdale last week? I was there, big disappointment. I go to the Kruse in Atlantic City each year, and that one is great. I have bought and sold cars there every year. The ft. lauderdale auction was weak imo. I almost shipped my car down there to sell, glad I didn't because the place was dead compared to A.C.

12. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I was at the Kruse Auction in Ft Lauderdale and it sucked! They charge you to park, to enter, and to register and the turn out was terrible. I won't go to the next one.

Do not ship open trailer. In addition to all the above mentioned you can add potential theft from someone wanting a Ferrari souvenier!

13. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Guys I have shipped a few cars on open trailers, closed is by far the best, but I personally did a 97 355 B from Greensboro NC to New Orleans on an open trailer and with the the aerodynamics of the truck not a thing got on the 355. Also if open do not cover it because the cover will beat the paint to death from the wind. just my .02

Wade

14. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Issue with open trailer,

Top front car always get him by trees
    Cars of bottom row will get dirty dirt, slush, etc.
    When the driver parks his rig at the truck stop for the night in nowhereville, Your Prancing horse and/or Ferrari emblem will be gone and you will get the "Thats the way we got it" comment.
    If your gonna go open, see if you can get the car a top middle position.
    rock chips are not as big an issue as you might think, after all this is how new cars are shipped.

Issue with closed trailer,

more expensive

15. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Let me just put my 2 cents in.....

Enclosed is the way to go.
    Just because if perhaps a rock/stone gets to make it's mark on your paint or even worse,your windshield, it would cost more than the difference in transport.

16. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I personally have a single car open trailer that I haul all my cars on... the Ferrari, the corvettes, everything and I've never had a problem with anything. I haulled the Ferrari back from Chicago (8 hour drive) in May 3 years ago without a scratch.
    I don't know if you are talking about a single car hauler or a big rig with and open trailer... I don't have any experience with those big open transporters, so I can't comment there. But either way no cover on any kind of open trailer.
    If you have the option, $300 isn't that much more to spend for the piece of mind of the enclosed.

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Good work - Definitely go closed trailer. I shipped a Jeep open trailer and the Ferrari closed trailer - Huge difference in appearance upon delivery!

18. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    vref,
    Do the dealerships in Texas receive their new cars by open trailers.?
    I know that here in the NW the new cars are delivered closed.Was at the daelership Sat and 3 360's and a Mas arrived enclosed via Horseless Carriage.

19. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    He is nuts! Buying a car in Florida!

20. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim

Yes, we get new Honda's and I see other new cars all the time on the road. Maybe I was misunderstood. I see new cars other than Ferraris on open car haulers.

21. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    closed trailer for sure but if you have to go with an open trailer I would think that the top middle or top rear position would be the best. plus how do you know if the car changes position during the trip?

22. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Closed is the only way to go.

1. Security

2. Less chance of damage.

A closed trailer company knows your car, the proper tie down points, etc. They usually cover the wheel, seats, carpets and deliver your car arrivesin pristine condition...enhancing the buying process.

Open trailer...if your on the bottom the car on top could be leaking oil or fluid down on your car. The driver thinks it a Fiero and could care less or knows what it is and takes her around the block.

I paid about $2K to have my car shipped coast to coast...worth every penny.

23. speedemon

speedemon Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just curious, why is Florida a bad place to purchase?

24. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    FOD and FOH (same owner) have a mini fleet of haulers 2 tractor trailor sized they use for the race team and for hauling other "lesser" cars around. Also have a bunch of inclosed car haluers.

Torq you may be able to pressure wash some road grime off a car but really.... Make the 300 dent to avoid others

25. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I spend about 3 months a year in FLA. While I was looking to buy my 1st Ferrari 4 years ago I looked all over down there. I found a lot of shady dealers/cars/places. I never felt comforatable and the overall feeling was that someone was trying to pull a fast one on me.
    There are a lot of good and honest people down there (I have lots of freinds there) and I here about good dealers like Martin, Shelton motors and others. However, from my personal experience almost every car I looked at down there over ther years has been a waste of my time and not nearly to the standards it was advertised at.
    There are good/great cars down there but in my opinion they are hard to find.