330GT #9387 @ Symbolic Test Drive Last Sat and looking for help | FerrariChat

330GT #9387 @ Symbolic Test Drive Last Sat and looking for help

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by robsandiego, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robsandiego

robsandiego Rookie

Jan 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi all,
    I must warn that this may be a long post.

In the back of my mind I've always wanted a Ferrari but it wasn't until I attended the Concourso, Pebble Beach, and Laguna Seca this last year that I began to seriously look into the possibility. After many, many hours on the web, I have settled on the 250 and 330 series for various reasons. I want, and will likely pay for the well documented, well kept, as few owners as possible car. I do not want a project. Having said all this, I have driven only one car and that's the one listed at Symbolic.

*I may go this weekend to LA and look at the 4HL at Heritage. From the registry it looks to have bounced around quite a bit. And by the way, the 250 they have has " gone back to the shop for work". It may have been sold and come back. If anyone wants I can confirm this If I make it there next weekend.*

*I saw the 330GTC if anyone wants a novice opinion.*

#9387 looks great, I think. It has what seems to be decent history with documention as listed on the web site. It does not have tools or books, which is interesting given the detail to which it supposedly has been maintained. Perhaps they got "lost" between the transport truck and the showroom. The engine has not been opened, and at 67,000km I am concerned about facing a rebuild. There is a clunking coming from the rear that can be heard intermitently when slowing to a stop. It has some blueish smoke out the right side. It has not been driven reguarly. It's not one of those just finished a 1,000 mile trip w/o problems but I did take it for 75 miles or so of stop and go traffic as well as freeway driving. Of course I was too excited driving it to pay attention to everything like water temp at idle but oil temp took a loooong time to warm up and never seemed to go too high. Had one restoration in late 80's with a paint job switch from original blue to red. I am dealing with Graham and Sean.

So, the wind up. As you can see I've done my research but I lack the experience to pull it all together for an informed opinion. It was such a blast to drive if it were 45Kish I would have bought on the spot. It was so much fun to drive that my friend who came along is as we speak on the web learning all he can so he can find one for himself! They are asking 59K and have indicated they feel it is "priced right or pretty close". The black one they had sold for 65K from what I've read on the web. Didn't see it so I can't compare but it seems a little high for a 330. At least according to FML average of $45k. Yes, I know what average means. The car is being billed as "original" unmolested" etc. Please do share thoughts, opinions etc. On wed 1/14 I am going to Symbolic's repair facility to put it up on a rack and go over it with Daryl the garage mgr(?).

Please give me a name and number of someone I can use for a PPI or someone who knows enough but maybe isn't qualified as a PPI'er who wants to look at it with me and can help.

Thanks a bunch and don't be surprised to see this same post elswhere like tomyang.

Rob

2. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Nice work! Without a doubt the best PPI in San Diego is Bobileff Motors. Sean and the other guys at Symbolic know him well and they will not object to a PPI at another dealer. As you know, Symbolic Motors and its repair shop are obviously related (read: 'bias') and it seems prudent to seek an outside PPI before such an investment. In any event, Gary Bobileff is worth talking too--he provides a 3-4 page written report on his PPI and he is a true 'lifer' in the Ferrari business. Best of luck.

Dino

3. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Rob,

Sorry I cant offer you any experienced advice, but I wanted to chime in and say that the 330 is such a beautiful car. I hope you get (or find) your car soon!

ernie:)

4. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Rob:

I looked at that car. When I looked at it they told me that the car had been restored and a lot of work had been done. When I checked out the records, I found them to be incomplete. Now, it seems like the story has changed (I suppose that perhaps we are talking about two different cars, but I don't think so.) I did not test drive the car.

I saw the black one, and that one was a nicer car than the one you are looking at, but the asking price was much higher. That said the red one is not too bad cosmetically.

My experience with Symbolic is that they have high asking prices. I tried to buy a 328 from them and we never closed the gap on price. About two months later, I met the guy who bought the very same car I was negotiating for. He paid a LOT more than the price I had negotiated them down to. Many times I get the feeling that's what Symbolic hopes to get: someone who's inadequately informed, someone purchasing on emotion, or something to that end.

My advise: I'd try to drive at least 4 or 5 examples. If you are still really interested in this particular car, take to Gary Bobileff and have him inspect it. I'd be very concerned about the mileage + engine never redone + blue smoke = potential $$ pain. If you are still interested, negotiate HARD with them. They have had that car there for a long time and this car seems to me to be at the high end of asking prices, in my opinion.

Let us know what the result is. Good luck.

Alberto

5. robsandiego

robsandiego Rookie

Jan 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:46 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the input is much appreciated!

Let me clear a few things up. I was a little tired last night so I think I may have been confusing things. Certainly the s/n. The 330GT in question which I DID drive is #9673. Sorry! The GTC is #9387.

Next, I didn't mean to imply that the car had no work done or didn't have records. It had been "restored" in the late 80's. It looks like "major stuff" has been done but the records are not complete so I don't know exactly what has been done. Restored may be different from replaced with new?

In any event I will see the car again tomorrow and have contacted Gary Bobileff to perform a PPI as per suggested here. His report has grown to six pages he says and it's $90 per hour. Estimated 4hrs.

Rob

6. robsandiego

robsandiego Rookie

Jan 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob
    An update.

Sorry for going quiet but I felt that until I had made a decision one way or the other I shouldn't air my laundry at your expense or that of others involved who don't have the opportunity to tell their side of the story. Much has transpired as you can imagine in the purchase of 37yr old car. Below is a brief summary.

Graham and Sean at Symbolic have been great. As I said above, they gave me the car for a few hours one day and I had a blast. Following that I met Daryl, the race and restoration mgr, and one of their service guys, Joe I think, and put the car up on the lift at their service shop. While there, I saw the black 330 they sold a month earlier. It was cosmetically in better shape than the subject car.

I did however ultimately bring the car in question to Gary Bobileff for a PPI. Thanks for the heads up on him. He is very detail oriented which I liked. Many of the items he found I could live with. I wanted to know as much as possible and then decide what was important. By the way, he had an impecable Lambo 400? that he restored and has been featured in the Robb Report. My jaw still hurts from hitting the floor. Beautifull car is an understatement! Anyhow, the 330 had two items that gave me reason to pause. One was the smoke and the other was the front end work needed. If you REALLY need details email me as I prefer not to go into them here. Gary did pronounce the car to be "decent" overall but I needed to do some more homework.

I went to LA and drove the 4HL at Heritage. Didn't like it at all. 15K less in asking price but no comparision. Except, it had no smoke but very low compression readings. Back to Symbolic. Called other mechanics, exchanged several emails with prior owner. Friday afternoon Graham and I talk about my concerns and he says he will have his guys look at the car.

He called a short while ago to tell me it sold today. Yes, I'm dissapointed because the car was nice. If it were smoke free I would have gone for it. I just couldn't see past the possible need for major$$ engine work at a later date.

The wrap up is I woud again deal with Symbolic as they have really been accommodating. Gary did a visual on another 330 for me and so I have that to pursue. Details forthcoming as time permits.

Rob

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Consider it somebody else's headache now.
    Many a mile will be travelled, many a car will be seen.
    Eventually, you'll find one that's clean... inside, out and all around.
    I'm nuts for 330GTC and 365GTC myself.
    365GTC looks like 330 sans side louvres, but has more hp and much more torque.