Just a question about your major services | FerrariChat

Just a question about your major services

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Diablo, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

I was just wondering what the concensus is here about major services on your F-car.

A-Dealer or independent?
    B- Vehicle(550,355,308,etc.)
    C-Cost($US)

I am trying to decide what model would be best for a friend and how much would it cost him to maintain it. He has money but doesn't like to part with it.

thank guys

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

A) depends upon where you live and how far to the nearest dealer. For me I went independent with a shop that does Porsche race cars, ground up restorations, and race engine work.
    B) F355
    C) at least $5000 But you should understand a Major service is more than a tune up. Sure it tuns up the engine, but it also checks for everything that could go wrong before the next major and fixes that also. On mine, we replaced all of the water hoses, seals, rebuilt the calipers, new rotors, and upgraded several parts.

Perhaps he should own a Ferrari?!?

3. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Thanks, he will be reading every one of the responses.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

With respect to the Dealer issue, one consideration is how new the car is. Because I had the major done on my 550 by the dealer, I was able to get what amounted to a new car warranty for a very reasonable price. This is something that an independent can't offer, no matter how good he might be.

However, I think that the oldest that FNA will warrant is about 10 years old.

Indeed, I'd probably go with an independent if I had an older car like a Daytona or a GTC. Many of the dealer techs weren't even born when those cars were built. Plus, because they don't have any electronics, the dealer does not have a built-in advantage over the independents.

Just my 2 cents, but if it were me, I'd wouldn't base my decision as to which F-Car to get on which one was the most economical. Let's face it. These cars are money pits that defy common sense. You buy a Ferrari because (1) you can, and (2) you really want the car.

DrTax

5. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Dr. Tax stated: "Let's face it. These cars are money pits that defy common sense. You buy a Ferrari because (1) you can, and (2) you really want the car."....

AMEN!

6. speedemon

speedemon Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Answer to your question based on my research:

A - Dealer
    B - '96 355 GTS - 5 yrs or 30k major service (although the car has only 10k mi - 5 yrs or 30k, whichever occurs first)
    C - Cost: $6500 engine out, $1500 water pump, $1000 for misc.....and the cost only goes up from there depending upon condition of car.

Be certain to have a very thorough inspection and a "leak-down" test. Good luck and enjoy!!

7. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    A) Dealer
    B) 360 F1
    C)4500 for 30K service.

Go with the dealer if you can for the modern cars because they have the computer and diagnose problems better and upgrade software.
    The dealer upgraded the F1 software on my car during a 30K service and it now shifts smoother.

8. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Another consideration which may or may not be important to you is resale value.

If your doing a major, which usually involves timing belts, using the dealer will enhance your resale value. Or, looking at it the other way, not using a dealer could hurt your resale value.