stradale test run | FerrariChat

stradale test run

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by stradman, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Hi everyone. Just thought I would share my experiences today with you regarding my drive with a stradale. I just got it today through P1 international(Damon Hills club) which I am a member. they brought it to me today and I have it until Friday. it is chiaro blue with beige leather seats(no stripe).. The car has only 960 miles on it. It is the first time that I have physically seen the stradale and obviously it is also my first drive. As I mentioned here before I am expecting my own stradale to be delivered in June. Some good and not so good impressions so far.

the car looks much better in the flesh than even in the photos.very impressed. the carbon fibre interior again looks much better up close than in any photo. well pleased so far.Even the rubber floor mats don't look as spartan as I thought they would. Enought of that. On to the important stuff...Time to drive the car as is was meant to be driven if you guys knows what I mean. Thats one of beauties of the P1 club. You feel a little more relaxed about driving as it is not your own car.
    Starting up the engine(remember start button on the console- which stupidly is the only button on the console that doesn't illuminate at night- why please?) the sound at idle is more gravely than the standard 360. On setting off initial impression is that the stradale engine is no more powerful than standard 360-expecting this but nonetheless somewhat disappointed. Up to 4000 rpm sound is very civilised and pretty close to standard car. However after that all hell breaks loose in the sound department! glorious!. Contrary to what a few wooses/ journalists have said this sound is not too loud. If they think this is too loud, they should be writing in a basket weaving magazine or something. In fact with the windows up, perfectly safe- first drive is with colleague who is an Ears/nose and throat surgeon and who sanctions the sound! Of course with the windows down sound much louder but still GGGOOD! OK went into a tunnel and floored it-Bordering on the ludicrous but still gave me a giggle. I wonder how on earth did Ferrari make this car legal what with all the strict sound legislation! Race mode everything just that much sharper and quicker, including gear changes which are a big improvement over previous F1 gearboxes.ASR is also relaxed in race mode, but I would go so far as to say that it is non existent. Twice my rear end steps out on slightly more enthusiastic throttle. OK so it was slightly damp but still. Very easy to get out of line. The car certainly does not know the meaning of understeer, however will throw its tail out happily. So respect necessary. So just returned from doing 100 miles .Overall happy I would say. Agile,sharp, handling , but still crave and would have liked more power. A 996 turbo will eat it up alive in a straight line I am sure.Gallardo not sure(however will be driving it again via P1 in near future) Day 2 tomorrow and maybe another 100 miles. Will post further impressions.Regards

2. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us - I too have wondered how they sneak some of the exhaust systems past the authorities! ;). I also took a look at "P1 International's" website. I like the idea and it must be loads of fun to have the opportunity to drive and compare some of the most important cars of our era. How many members does the club have?

Cheers, MARK

3. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    It's great fun from this point of view. They deliver the cars and your off!Basically they cap the membership at about 200. I've been told that they have reached this already. However this is fluid as peoples yearly membership comes up for renewal and maybe some don't renew.
    Alex

4. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Think there's a good reason for this. You can start the car with the interior lights on. This is usually before you set off :) Having a bloody great red illuminated knob would be a bit distracting afterwards.

And thanks for the write-up. It isn't Maranellos ex-demonstrator by any chance is it?

Kevin

5. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    No the car is from Carrs of Exeter. Whether it is an ex demo I don't know. Maybe you're right about it being distracting, although there are quite a number of buttons on the console already. I only noticed the fact that it wasn't illuminated when I pulled over to answer my phone at night. I then obviously had to restart and couldn't find the damn thing!Anyway as I've been working all day, I'm now off to do another proper run in it. Let you know further impressions.
    Alex