Reverse Gear | FerrariChat

Reverse Gear

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gts328uk, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have not had my 328 for long so I have a question regarding selecting reverse gear.

After a drive today I stopped for lunch for about an hour. I got back in the 328, started her up and dropped her into reverse, there was a slight crunch (engine on the cold side so idle at approx 1800 rpm). She ran fine all the way home. Slapped her in reverse to back her in the garage and she crunched again although not bad. Moved forward and back on drive and sometimes she crunched going into reverse and sometimes she didn't. Seemed better if the shift was one smooth movement and not slowly and tentativly selecting reverse. Once shed been in reverse she would shift from neutral to reverse and back again no problem.

By the way the cluch is fine no slip and rest of gears perfect. Anything I should worry about or am paranoid with "thats a new noise syndrome"

Anyone else with a 328 have a similar issue with reverse?

Mark

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Before you shift into reverse move the shifter into 1st gear and then go into reverse. this will stop layshaft from spinning and you will beable to engage 1st without crunching gears.

3. rjdavatar

rjdavatar Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Zurich, Switzerland
    depress the gear level, ready to engage reverse, and hold there while counting to
    2; then engage reverse.

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    The advise given by the previous replies are correct, the reason you are experiencing the "crunching" effect is down to the fact that reverse gear does not have a syncromesh ring. Just a thought if your idle speed is too high this will agrevate the problem, the manual says idle should be between 900 - 1100 rpm I would aim at the lower figure as long as the engine doesn't stall.

MW

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    You most likely have clutch drag, where the spigot bearing is tight, or the clutch plate is sticky on the splines.

Both require the bell housing off to fix.

It is surprising how many cars have tight spigot bearings...due to corrosion usually, and when replaced the general gear selections get much better too.

With the clutch removed from the flywheel, stick your finger in the back of the crank and turn the bearing slowly. It should be perfectly smooth and not notchy like most.

The bearing costs pennies from any bearing supplier, and is a very common size.

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I personally engage 2nd, and then 4th, and then reverse anytime I want reverse. That's what I've settled on, and not once doing this method have I ever gotten a "crunch" in reverse.

This problem is not specific to 308 and 328 tranny's. My 87 SAAB 9000t does the same thing, and my girlfriend's old 89 Honda Accord did it as well... Different strategies (what gears to select first) in different cars to do it. In fact, if I recall, the SAAB owners' manual actually states to try 1st gear and then reverse if the first time you get things into reverse it won't engage!