anyone know what this old Ferrari ZF part fits? | FerrariChat

anyone know what this old Ferrari ZF part fits?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ianrand, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ianrand

ianrand Rookie

Jan 6, 2004
    I originally posted this in the "vintage discussion" section (and can only assume that may not have been the best place... as only one member kindly replied- Speedy308- thank you).

So, please indulge me if this is a repetitious post:

I have a 1960's/70's? new old stock, magnesium casting for a trans or transaxle that I would like to identify/place with the proper Ferrari. Casting part #: 573520397. Paper sticker: ZFTA 7231-A. Box labeled: "ZF Dino 206 trans bottom".

Anyone have a need for this part, and/or might be able to offer a fair price evaluation? (I can email pics, if you wish to provide your email address) Thank you. Rob

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Rob,

This certainly is not off a standard production car, I have looked through our parts "bible" and cannot trace the modle code or the part number.

On the tag there are two numbers 573 is the modle code, as this is not listed I would suspect that it was made as as "special." 520317 is the Ferrari part number, as previous this is not listed.

Sorry can't help more, however I will send a request to the factory to see if they can help

MW

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I'd guess at a Fiat Dino engine sump, does the bottom have fins for cooling?

It may be off a race car though, possibly a 206S or something like that. The two big holes could be for dry sump scavenge pipes.

4. ianrand

ianrand Rookie

Jan 6, 2004
    Thank you for the attempts to help identify this cast magnesium part. I will attempt to attach a few pics, in hopes that they might help clarify its appearance, and paperwork...

5. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    I think its off a 206SP sports prototype. Ferrari campaigned a couple in the last (late 60's) Targa Florio (shameless name recognition!) Bill Schworer of the Pacific FCA campaigned one in the Monterrey Historics as late as 1986, then sold the car. Really pretty little sports car!

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Seems very unusual that this part isn't finned.

7. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Rob,

I can now verify that the mystery part is a gearbox side cover off a
    1963 Formula 1 car - no a huge demand I would imagine.

MW

8. ianrand

ianrand Rookie

Jan 6, 2004

9. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Rob,

Pleased that I could help.

MW

10. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Rob,

Just had more information from the factory, apparently the part number refers to a 1963 F1 car but the engineer who examined it says that the part is physically from a 1974 F1 car - the plot thickens !!

By the way, where did you get it from ?

MW

11. ianrand

ianrand Rookie

Jan 6, 2004