Engine pull '79 308 | FerrariChat

Engine pull '79 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dandy_Don, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    Hi, I am pulling my engine and have a question. Do I need to remove the bell housing prior to pulling the engine? It looks as if I do not need to but it is not clear. Everything else is disconnected-exhaust manifolds, half shafts, air conditioner compressor, water hoses/pipes, motor mounts etc etc. Just need to know if others have found that they need to take off the bell housing to actually get the engine out of the bay. Also, I will post pictures of the pulling process (and what I am putting back in there) if I can figure out how to make my photo files smaller. I tried to put one on this post but the program told me that my file size was 520,000 bytes well over the limit of 200,000. Any ideas on how to do this?

Don

2. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    pull it with bellhousing ON

3. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    Thanx, it looked as if it would come out with it still on but you never know. Anyone know how to make existing picture files small enough to post on this board? Don

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Don,
    Use an image or photo editor & resize your images to 800x600 then save as a .JPG or .GIF, or if that's still too large, use 640x480 which will do it fer sure.

Btw, search the old Ferrarichat Tech Q&A archives, there are several good threads on pulling 3x8 engines, some with photos. Not what you'd call an illustrated step by step, but enough info so you should be able to follow what was being done.

Somewhere in there a user describes lifting by attaching to the front bank. The engine just naturally rolls itself into the right orientation to be lifted out. Can't remember specifics of the attachment points tho.

5. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Sounds like you have everything off that you have to. The bellhousing will not interfer with the engine removal. Just remember to tilt it while lifting. I look forward to seeing the photos. As far as posting them, my camera software has a resize function that allows me to take a high res photo and automatically resize it to 'best for web'. It's a slick feature and would be lost without it. Good luck.

6. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Don,

If you can't get them to resize or work out, zip them up and e-mail them to me. I'll fix them and post them for you.

Got my car up yesterday, took the engine cover off and did a few other little things. I'll be working tonight taking stuff off.

I should be free next Saturday evening to help you out (probably after 6 PM).

7. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    I know nothing about pulling the engine :) , but there's an easy way of re-sizing jpegs in windows. If you pick them in explorer and right click 'send to an e-mail recipient', it will re-size them and bung them in outlook express. You can then pluck them out of there (without sending them to anybody) and save them where you like.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I pulled the engine with the bell housing off, and it did give me a little more wiggle room. I installed the engine with the bell housing on and there was no trouble then. So, take your pick.

9. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anybody here up for putting in some effort in creating a guide for pulling/reinstalling a 308 engine? As Verell points out, we've seen lots of various pics but to date, to my knowledge, there is no single document or work that puts it all together.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    remove tail gate, air cleaner, oil cooler, coils, a/c compressor, front header remains in engine bay, remove exhaust, slip rear header out the bottom, remove coolant tank, disconnect all hoses, cables, shifter rod, remove both axle shafts completely from the car, remove both inner fenders and air ducts, attach two straps to front cylinder head and lift using cherrry picker from left rear side of car. The engine will go to the right angle if you lift from the front head and the carbs can remain on the engine as well as the starter and alternator. Dont forget to remove the 4 bolts that hold the engine mounts to the frame. I can post pics of the strap attachment later tonight if needed. Thats the coles notes version.

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Yes, please post the pix, they'll be helpful.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #12 Newman, Jan 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #13 Newman, Jan 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    check out some old threads. there is some info i posted there about when i did my motor. try to get the car as low as possible and adjust the chains so that it lifts out and rolls the diff out from under the trunk. it works really well. Newman has the right idea with the straps. you can see that having the car low will help for clearance.

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Thanks Newman,
    The picture really helps.
    I hadn't realized just how much the head bows out towards the ends of the cams. Sure makes a nice place to loop the straps under.

I prefer straps over chains unless I can attach the chains to some kind of bracket. The straps won't scratch things up.

BTW, that engine hoist looks very familiar. I've got one that looks identical except mine is hammertone blue. I've had mine since '88. How old is yours? I got mine from either northern tool or harbor freight, can't remember which & have misslaid the receipt & owner's manual. - Just curious if it's still being sold.

16. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    Thanx for all of the advice. Here are some of the pictures showing the engine bay with the deck lid removed and the engine ready for removal. Managed to get all of the items disconnected this past weekend and will pull it this weekend. Also have included pix of what is going back in after I mate "it" to the old transmission. It's a rebuilt '76 Euro 2V 308 with hi comp pistons, new SS valves, single Euro distributor, ported heads, P6 cams and dry sump lubrication, new bearings seals etc, etc. I have some photos of the assembly process if others are interested. I will be interested in information on retrofitting the distributor to some sort of pointless ignition. I have the Crane XR700 system (2 modules ) on the car currently which works great. Anyone know if I can adapt that to the single distributor? Anyway, will be interested in your comments. Looks like I can only load one pix per post so I will try to do a separate post for each pix. Don

17. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    Old engine with deck removed

18. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    disconnecting

19. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    more disconnecting

20. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    What's in the box

21. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    It's red in just the right places

22. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    While not in others

23. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    Another view

24. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    Oh and by the way, to pull the engine I just bought a 1 ton chain hoist from Harbor Freight ($40) and cut a hole in the garage ceiling to the storage above. (high ceilings) Built a 10' beam consisting of 3- 2x 8's and laid it perpendicular to the ceiling joists. Wrapped a chain around the beam and connected it to the chain hoist through the hole in the ceiling. Should give me good control on hoisting. This assembly will easily carry the load as it distributes the load to about 6 joists. I like Newman's method of grabbing the engine/tranny combo with straps around the ends of the heads. I will start using the front head only and see how it goes. Will try to remember to take pics Don

25. stacy

stacy Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    halifax
    Dandy Don,

I guess what you have there is a dry sump euro 308 engine. The next question is where did you get it and how much?

Thanks,
    Stacy