WWOC can't change my tires | FerrariChat

WWOC can't change my tires

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robiferretti, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    The service manager said because they are corvette rims and not for a ferrari he can not change the tires for me. Thats semi insulting i have to say.

HRE's are HRE's i wanted to go to wide world cause i didn't want my rims damaged and i figured they were used to anal owners who want things done correctly. Guess they just dont want anal corvette owners there :( Dont know how much future dealings I will have with them anymore. I argued for a few min with the service guy over it.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Discount Tire here in Texas is best for nice oversized rims. They have the proper equipment and are use to it.

www.discounttire.com

3. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Discount tire for sure. Good equipment and good knowledge.

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yeah, but they double their rates when they see my 911, and double them again when they see my Ferrari. Soooo... for cheaper I can go to Nine Eleven (IX XI) Enterprises here in Dallas... and they have even better equipment.

The 360 rims, interestingly, pose particular challenge for some places. For example, Autoscope is a nice place here in Dallas... but their equipment can't handle the way the lip is on the 360 rims... but Nine Eleven had no problem at all.

Oh, and Nine Eleven is a TireRack installer... I just get the tires delivered directly to them... a bit expensive, but cheaper than what Discount Tire tries to charge me for the Ferrari.

Brian

5. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO

Semi-insulting??? No kidding!!! How lame

6. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Rob, remind me not to go there.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    HRE, Kinesis & Fikse = corvette rims? strange, very strange. I'd definately be insulted. And yeup, I grouped those three, since their centers pretty much are made from the same factory.

8. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Just trying to see it from the other side - there's a potential downside if the rims are damaged, it's time consuming, and it's not something that will make the dealership any money. Maybe it's economics, rather than snobbery, at work?

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Side subject, but I just noticed WWoC has a link to FC from their website. Very cool.

Did you say you were from FC? The service manager probably wouldn't even know about WWoC sponsoring FC though.

Hmm, not sure what to tell you. I know they're not in the business of flipping tires, but I can't explain.

10. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    WWOC in Nanuet NY not TX.

I dont see your point WCH they lose potential customers by doing this. If i can be 23 and afford putting $5000 into a set of rims for a $50,000 car i can probably afford a ferrari down the road. I dont know I thought it was a pretty ****ty thing to do. I am getting my car detailed by George up there at Wide World as soon as hte snow is gone. He works independently of them.

I had a good experience with them so far, i helped my friend buy a mesarati from them instead of the s600 he wanted. Guy pretty much twisted my arm to test drive teh car knowing I wasn't the one buying.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Who said TX? I missed that.

12. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Rob,
    The best place I have found is Speedworld.com on Long Island. The price is $15/wheel, mount and balance, and they've always done a great job on both my Ferraris, mom's Jag XK8, dad's 4.6 Rover and bro's 996 Cabrio.

Look them up. Its a ride, but Jimmy and Alex will hook you up for sure.

David

P.S. If you want WWoC nightmares, gimmie a call...

13. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    you were saying dicount tire in TX, i figured there may have been another WWOC i was unaware of in TX. I am not shipping rims and tires to be mounted and balanced. i dont know i got confused when you were telling me about a place down there

14. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i dont know what past experience people have had with wide world of cars but i would like to narrate my recent experience

we paid the deposit for a 03 360 f1 spider they had.. now we gave our details to the bank for paperwork for financing.. the bank took a while to approve our company credit (please not it wasnt DENIED, it just took a while, our company has good credit), we then get the news that the car WHICH WE PAID DEPOSIT FOR had been sold to another buyer and he promises to get us another 03 red f1 spider within 15 days.. though its not a major issue its still rather disturbing to see this from a professional dealer... we are now waiting on the next car

15. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    i have found that in these cases experience counts. out here on LI we have WTC that has all the latest equipment. but when i brought them my F car rims one of the mecanics told me he could do them but.... there is someone els that you should bring them to. he gave me info on a guy in Mt Siani that is the best. when i went to him he did a masterful job and balanced them perfecty like a craftsman. he told me afterwards that he was sorry it took so long for the job but he knew the car was to be run at 100mph plus and he had to have them perfect. and they are. wow someone who cares. i found out later that he does a lot of work for local racers.

16. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I agree with the economics issue. Why should they take the risk? Because you can get a car loan?

You don't want to go to a dealer anyway. You want a tire shop because they swap tires all day every day while the guys at the dealership only do it once in a while. I go to a little shop in Shrewsbury NJ. $25 for 17" tires, $30 for 18" IIRC.

17. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    What is the name of the company in Shrewsbury,NJ? I live in Marlboro and just paid Classic Coach $370.00 to mount new TRX's on my Boxer rims. They did a great job but seems pretty steep.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Please continue the open and honest discussion. I just want to post the WWoC Sponsor announcement thread that had about 20 positive posts about WWoC. No one is perfect.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4505&highlight=Sponsor+Wide+World

Discount Tire is a national company, but I guess not in the Northeast. They charge about $20-30 for unmount, mount, balance, and disposal.

Here are their locations...

19. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

You might be able to get cheaper prices to get tires done at outside tire shops, but will they care if they damage your $2,500 rim??

I had a friend who used to own a 550. Got some tire place in Jersey do his tires. He got them back with scratches and chips from the machine. Also, the inside of the rim had little indents from the machine holding the rim.

He got so upset and had to get all 4 repaired/repainted at the dealer at about $250 a Rim

Good Luck to you guys

20. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I don't see why you are so upset, take it somewhere else. They are a ferrari dealership - not a tire place. I could probably get you really upset by telling you they would probably do it for Jim :). Hey its all about relationships :)

21. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    take it to Euro tire in fairfield - they do adam's tr

22. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Yes I could recommend Bill & Chris @ Eurotire in Fairfield NJ - from memory Rte 46 westbound 973 575-0080.

Now lets talk abt that $370 charge to mount the TRXs - WTF?!!!

23. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    $370 to mount TRX's-I agree WTF!! A good number of shops deal in high-end rims, including of course the now popular bling-blings, and not a big deal getting tires mounted. I had TRX's mounted at a Firestone dealer, was not a big deal at all, and not a scratch on them. Most people don't want a scratched or beat-up rim on their Vette, Viper, BMW,etc.

24. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Tire Expert, about 1/2 block from The Grove IIRC. First time I walked up to it, I was a little uncomfortable. It's a little nondescript garage. Several thousand$ worth of Porsche Supercup rims sitting outside eased my concerns. The guy (who's name I can't recall) really knows what he's doing.

I should mention that I've never brought a car there, only rims and tires.

25. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    One more thing .... I've heard good things about Eurotire for years but a friend of mine went out of his way to bring a set of wheels to get tires removed and the wheels came back scratched. The guy's attitude was "sorry, sometimes they're hard to do".