Ticket Results | FerrariChat

Ticket Results

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Bullfrog, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Today was the big day in court. I spoke with the prosecutor and he tried to give me a 2 point ticket. I persuaded him other wise. I paid $180.00 and received no points. Here is the next question. Even though I do not have points on my lisence, will there be insurance points?

2. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    There may be. I believe most insurance company's have their own point system which doesn't necessarily (probably doesn't) tie to the NJ point system. You may get insurance points, but they will probably be lower than you would have received had you not faught the ticket...

3. Dave Radu

Dave Radu Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    San Jose, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave Radu
    If the citation appears on your driving record, and it is a chargeable citation, your insurance co. will charge you points. They file with the state ins. commissioner as to how they assign points regardless of what the DMV assigns.

The reason most DMV's assign points is to keep track of your driving and suspend your license when the points reach a predetermined amount.
    Here in California the DMV assigns 0 points for seabelt and carpool lane violations. However most insurance companies charge 1 point for each.

It is up to the each insurance company as to how they asign points.

4. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Yes, Bullfrog, the insurance company will hold this against you. As it does go on your record as a moving violation. I was a bit pissed when I got my last ticket (75 in a 55 in the cherokee), and met with the assistant prosecutor. He said "There would be nothing from this offense going onto my driving record.". A couple of months later, I went shopping around for a new insurance company and gave them my license #. The insurance agent showed me my driving history from the past 4 years, and the ticket was on it. Although Progressive states on the policy that I was not surcharged for getting that ticket, I'd disagree. Insurance companies will use anything to get another $.05 out of you.

5. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Karting

Nov 1, 2003

Is there anyway to get the insurance points taken care of?

6. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Only time will erase the effects of this ticket. I'd say probably 3 or 4 years and it'll be gone.

7. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Jeremiah - what was the charge you finally agreed to? Could a moving violation actually carry NO points? I suspect you did not plea to a moving violation (which is a positive).

But to answer your last question, I dont believe you can reduce/eliminate the insurance surcharge if you did receive points. On the other hand, several insurance companies (including mine) actually excuse the first couple points. In severe cases (meaning many points), driver safety classes can help lower insurance surcharges.

You need to clarify your situation a bit.

Good luck!
    Greg

8. xagman

xagman Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    YOU NEED TO BE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT YOU PLEAD TO A NONMOVING VIOLATION PERIOD

ANYTHING ELSE LEAVES YOU LEGALLY VULNERABLE.

ALSO, IN NJ ONE CAN ONLY HAVE SO MANY NONMOVING VIOLATIONS WITHIN A TIMEFRAME(YEAR)

THERE ARE DIFFERENT DEGREES OF NONMOVING VIOLATIONS

9. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Karting

Nov 1, 2003

The judge said that it was a "no point ticket" and did not clarify if it was still a moving violation. If it was then I already pleaded guilty.

10. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    insurance companies will scam you any way they can
    EX. i was rear ended. 100% other guys fault. he had an out of state fly-by-night ins co. and was slow to pay out. my ins. co. paid for repair and took the other co. to court to collect. my ins. went up because they claim they were not compensated fast enough and it was put on my record as an incident because they initially paid. my premium went up. i changed to another co. and it came up again as an incident (w/out a description) also and they said they had no proof of my story so my rates were still higher than they should be!!!! they all suck!!! people in the tri state area should take a good look at these companies and their practices. they know per capita income and are selective on where they charge the high rates.. because they have so many politicians in their pockets, these things will never change!! look for some kind of HMO style ins. in the near future. they will charge lower rates but they will be in total control of all repairs. NOT GOOD!!!!

11. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Jeremiah,

Get back to work! :)

12. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    you got screwed, they were just smiling while they were doing it :p

13. Dave Radu

Dave Radu Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    San Jose, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave Radu
    Every citation has a violation code #. This is what will determine what your insurance co will charge. Find out what the code # is, should be on your court papers, and have someone else call your agent and ask what your company charges for that code. Tell them not to mention your name or situation, just to be on the safe side.

I've been an insurance broker for 26 years. If I can be of any service to you, in this situation, just send me a pm.

14. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    If your not getting points, then the insurace company shouldn't know about it. That's what no points is all about. The state just wants the money.
    How would the insurance company find out about the ticket if you don't get any points? Now if the somebody in the court screwed up when processing the ticket I could see, but as for no points, then you should still have a clean driving record.

15. Rasputin

Rasputin Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Miami - NY
    Well as far as the state wanting money, you are correct, however the original violation was entered in to the computer when court date was requested and then the conviction was entered, so regardless of weather or not the points were given this record is in the system and anyone with the right to see your DMV record will see it 2 including insurance companies, so thinking that you have a clean record is a big missconception, if you get stoped and tell the cop you have no violations and your record is clean will be a lie in his/her eye because he/she is able to pull it up on the computer and your record will come up points or no points