Top 5 Most Beautiful F1 Cars | FerrariChat

Top 5 Most Beautiful F1 Cars

Discussion in 'F1' started by ianlow32, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ianlow32

ianlow32 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    Just thought it would be interesting to list down our fav f1 cars in terms of looks, and most of them are winning cars as well! I would rate the cars in terms of the chassis design and the livery as well.

1. F2003-GA

This car just looks beautiful from every angle, any angle. The contoured side pods, the shark gills, the curved nose all makes this bar simply gorgeous and sexy. Although it herited its design from F2002, the overall package is just perfect in looks.

2. F1-2000

My pick for the best high-nosed car of all time. Again, it is inherited from F399, but as again, it is the overall package that makes this look beautiful. From the front, it has a very distinctive look that makes it look as its hugging the ground. From the side, its angular design is almost a contrast to the F2003-GA, yet it looks sleek and sharp. And a world beater as well.

3. Lotus 79

From the front, its black JPS livery looks both menacing and sleek. It loses a little of its spectacle from the side, but from the front, it is just simply stunning. At times, it looks more like a jetfighter than a car.

4. Ferrari 156 'Sharknose'

The first F1 car to be really innovative in looks. One of the most famous noses, its sharklike appearance is a perfect predecessor to the F2003, and its sleek and elegant body compliments the distinctive nose perfectly.

5. Lotus 72

The first Lotus to use the now famous JPS livery. Its unique design broke the mould of F1 cars in its time. And Lotus used it for many years, far too long in fact. But the flat monoque and unusual wings is not only different, but pleasing. A car that looks special from the 1st time you see it, and still looks unique and wonderful after the upteemth time.

These are my picks. Let's see some of your picks there?

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    umm

umm

pics :)

3. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    Hm, it would be hard for me to name 5 off the top of my head. Your right on with the 156. That would be up there for me, as well as the 2003GA. 2001 and 2002 also looked great, but the GA had many minor details that really made a difference, like the gills.

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I also agree that the F2003-GAis a great looking race car. The shape shows that they spent a lot of time in the wind tunnel trying to shave off every bit of drag while managing proper airflow to create down force.

The car has more curves than a supemodel

Here is a front view.

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Here is a detail view of the sidepods and cockpit areas

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Here is the F1-2000

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Here is the 156 1961 model

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Here is the 156 1963 model

9. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    New stuff looks plain weird to me with bits sticking out in all directions and those ugly noses. The McLaren MP4/5 was the last pretty GP car I can think of and I'm pleased no one's brought up any ground effect machines yet...

10. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    type 156 1985

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Until the FIA closes up all of the loop holes we will see more and more creative means of producing down force away from the wings. Since wing size is regulated the more down force they take away in that area they have to make it up in other areas. With the advances in CFD modeling of airflow and wind tunnel design the modern cars will just start having more hanging off until the FIA says "No More!!!"

Rob

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The cars from the fifties and sixties don't really do it for me much. They look still too much like soap boxes. No wings, no aero, whimpy tires, no sponsors.

Lotus 72 and 79 are definitely some of my all time favourites.

Ligier, Renault and Williams from 1980. All very elegant designs.

Today's Ferrari, Sauber, McLaren and Jaguar all look great to me. Also loved the dark blue Prost and the orange Arrows.

However my favourite time was the mid eighties with the turbos. Especially those Ferrari and Brabham monsters with over 1,000 hp, pointy pencil like nose and huge 'a_ss', those were cars! Gigantic rear wing and barely controllable. I always think those drivers had so much gutts to drive these things.

13. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    picture of the 156 Sharknose (replica by Chris Rea).

photo taken from Barchetta.cc (taken by Edwin van Nes)

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While the new F1 cars look great in a high tech sort of way, the GP cars of old such as the Alfa 158 and P3 and Maserati 250F and V8R1 were art on wheels.

15. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

One thing to remember back in the 50's and 60's The teams did not have all of the resources avaliable to them like they do now. I.E. CAD, CFD, Wind tunnels with rolling roads. What was built back then could not be designed and tested on computer in less than one week. whereas back then everything was drawn by hand and calculated on slide rules. The no sponsor part also shows a simpler time when Teams raced for pride and not to show well for the big buck sponsors.

Rob

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Rob, of course all you mention is true, hence the simple cars. But to me F1 is all about top of the world technology and being the best cars possible. Fifties and sixties F1 cars remind me of today's Formula Ford or Skip Barber race cars. Cute, but don't really get me going. Kinda like the Mercury Redstone rocket from Al Shepard compared to the brute force of a Saturn V or a KKK turboed 1986 Ferrari.

Aside from that, as you know, I'm a wing fetischist. So ANY car without a wing just doesn't do it for me. The bigger the merrier.

Ok, I go back now playing with my Tonka truck in the sand box...
    :)

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

Just how big of a wing do you have on that Tonka truck??? :D

Rob

18. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    #18 Bill Sawyer, Jan 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    old F1: count me in on the sharknose.. amazing looking car...

new F1: my all-time fave was the 412T1... didnt last long.. they carved it up after 2 or 3 races and it lost its looks.. (didnt fare to well points wise but thats not the topic of conversation...)
    those rounded air-intakes are just a work of art...
    too bad they didnt work...

GT

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    One man's dream, another man's nightmare I suppose.

I always hated that car. I have it as a model and think it is ugly as hell. All too round. Funny how tastes are different. I like it rough and edgy oh and did I say lots of wings?

How about the 90/91 car from Prost and Mansell. Some folks really thought it was a work of art and put it into the modern design museum in NY. That one I love too. The coke bottle shape is too cool.

21. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The top all time best looking F1 cars? My list:

1. 1957 Maserati 250F lightweight
    2. 1963 Lotus 25
    3. 1961 Ferrari 156 Dino
    4. 1967 Lotus 49
    5. 1967 Gurney Eagle
    6. 1971 Tyrell 001
    7. 1950 Alfa Romeo 159 Alfetta
    8. 1955 Lancia D50
    9. 1960 Ferrari Dino (the last front engine F-car F1)
    10. 1930 Bugatti Type 35

That last one was technically before F1.... but it was a Grand Prix car.

Terry

22. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    1967 312F1 - last of the pure F1 shapes without wings; speed missles w/ no downforce - these guys were maniacs
    I saw Todd Morici's 312 a few years ago; the exhaust 'spaghetti' on the top of the engine is sculpture. - pic from barchetta.cc

23. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    In Chronological Order:

1959 256 F1 (the last front engined F1 Car)
    1962 156 F1 (sharknose)
    1964 512 F1
    1976 312 T2
    1994 412 T1 (I agree with Ferrariartist)
    1996 F 310
    2003 F1-2003 GA (love the shark gills)

Sorry had to go over 5 on this.

24. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #24 Schatten, Jan 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've always loved the early 90's Benetton cars. Namely the one that Schumi once drove. It was different than the rest of the pack, with the raised nose. And not to mention, full slicks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Finally got a chance to dig into my foto archive to back up my claims:

1979 Williams FW07 with Alan Jones in Hockenheim, Motodrom. The first GP I ever attended.

Patrick Head, the designer of this car (FW08 clinched the title) said, simple and beautiful designs are fast designs. Hmm, maybe he might choke on his own words this season?