Second gear on 328 when cold | FerrariChat

Second gear on 328 when cold

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by flyingboa, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    In my very limited experience with the 328 only thing that I find annoying is the difficulty of inserting the second gear for the first 5 / 10 minutes when outside is really cold and the engine still has to warm up.

Just two questions:

1. is this normal? (i heard that this is the case, but fellow owners word could be reassuring...)
    2. If it is normal... WHY? Really, I would like to understand.

Thanks for help.

Ciao

Eugenio

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hello-

There has been some previous threads regarding this. I think the conclusions were :

1) Yes it is normal (Mine does that also)
    2) Has something to do with the oil being cold & having no place to go in that gear. - Terrible explanation I know, but if you search the archives you can find the exact reason. :)

3. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Mine does that too, you need a bit more muscle to get into 2nd when cold... I saw other threads on this here when i was courious about that also...

Must be a 328 thing????

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    It's a 308 thing also...

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    See http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2397

The consensus is that it's due to hydraulic lock in the tranny when the selector rod tries to move into a small opening. There's a fix, if you're willing to drill on your transmission (!)

Most drivers just go 1 -> 3, the car will handle it well enough. On my 65000 mile 328 I don't really have a problem with getting it in gear, but the 2nd gear synchros crunch a bit until the car warms up. I usually just go 1 -> 3 myself for a while.

6. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    There is a fix for this--see the notes and pics in other posts on method.

7. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Thanks everyone. I had not seen previous thread. Details are more than sufficient to cure my curiosity.
    I really believe that I will not begin to drill any hole... Perhaps just to change oil.

Ciao

Eugenio

8. ROGER

ROGER Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Full Name:
    Roger Blakeman
    Just double clutch it into 2nd gear til the trans fluid warms up, then she'll shift o.k.

Roger B.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

"Mine does that too, you need a bit more muscle to get into 2nd when cold... I saw other threads on this here when i was courious about that also...

Must be a 328 thing????"

It's also a 246 thing. I had it explained to me that the design of the transmission puts a lot of stress on 2nd gear. That even, at least with the 246, if you fix it, replace the synchros, etc, that it will be right back doing it 3-5000 miles later.

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    It's a Ferrari thing. Since before the V-8s.
    As famous as dead center steering.

11. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    its a 348 thing too!

12. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I don't know how true it is but i read that 2nd gear is "beefed up" as it is the gear in which takes the most hammer.I call it character! and would'nt have it any other way.In fact after all these years of reading about Ferrari gearboxs i would be worried if i could get it straight into 2nd from cold.

13. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

I have driven the 328,308,348,355 etc.

They all seem to have problems when cold.
    That's why you try and get an F1 in a new car...LOL

But seriously, some folks have recommended to change the trans fluid to a full synthetic oil. It might help a little.
    But don't take my word for it, call a dealer to check.

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    ??

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Have valvoline synthetic gear oil in my box, and that problem went away. But, this is not a guaranty with other boxes.

16. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    I was advised NEVER to shift 1st to 2nd until the car is nice and warmed up.

17. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Many owners swear by changing the oil to Redline 75W90NS - this has been discussed on previous threads, worth a search to see their views.

MW

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Many Ferrari tests since the 60s have commented that many Ferraris have the common trait of extremely accurate steering, but being a bit dead feeling right on center. I think this has to do with the way Ferrari likes to set the geometry up for high speed. Perhaps someone else can chime in with details.

19. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I had serious problems on my Mondial, to a point that I thoughtit had to go. When cold it was almost impossible to change into second and even when hot it could be a challenge.
    The solution ? a change of gear oil, transformed the whole thing.

20. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
  21. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Been told the same... UNLESS you have oil leaks which get worse w/ synthetic oil.

Ron

22. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Grasshopper, Some questions are better left unanswered. This is not for the mere mortal to understand.

Seriously, just go from 1st to 3rd until the engine oil temp gauge moves up to the first line. If a passenger asks what that's all about ---- just smile knowingly and say......"It's a Ferrari thing." The mystique lives on.

Tom

23. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Guys, this is a "problem" (if you can call a minor idiosyncrasy a problem considering we all own Ferraris; seems a small price to pay for owning the greatest car of all time) that is commonplace with ALL gate-shifted Ferraris up until late-model F355's, although owner's manuals and dealers (that are worth a damn) still, even in a 2003 Modena, advise you to either let the engine warm up sufficiently to allow the engine oil temp to increase to about 190-210 degrees or shift from 1 to 3. I do not recommend double clutching but you can do what you want. and by the way, the 2nd gear synchro is notoriously weak and if you manhandle it you will end up with transmission problems.

ciao

FORZA FERRARI

24. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    My mecahnic used Redline MT90 in my gearbox (as part of the 30K) and the cold shifting is much easier now in my 328. This stuff is good.

25. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    It's just a common quirk with all F-cars, the inside joke with all of us!