Does anyone else agree with this? | FerrariChat

Does anyone else agree with this?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ekasilicon, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    It seems as though the 288 GTO, F40 and Enzo get a lot of recognition. The F50, on the other hand, does not. It is a very nice car, but it seems like the F50 does not have the same following as the other cars. I know for me, I love the F40 ane Enzo, but the F50 does not really do it for me. If I had the choice between a F40 and F50, I would take the F40. Am I just up in the night, or is there some truth to this?

MJG

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I also would take the F40 over the F50 - Don't get me wrong though - I surely wouldn't kick the F50 out of bed. I just like the rawness of the F40 better.

3. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    My sentiments exactly.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This has been brought up in the past and it seems like the majority prefers the F40... i, for one, would love an F50... i'd take it over an F40... i think you'll find that most people will take an F40, though...

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    if I am so lucky as to have a chance at either, I'll take either one.

6. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    the f50 is slower than the f40.

7. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Check out the thread elsewhere on FChat that covers the Evo article comparing the F40, F50, Enzo, and 288GTO.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4520

Scans of the article are available, and it makes very interesting reading. I haven't been lucky enough to drive, or even ride in, any of these great cars, but the authors of this article picked the F50 as their favorite, even as they acknowledged they were biased to the F40 going in.

Their picks were: F50, 288GTO, Enzo, and F40, in that order.

Gary

8. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    True in the EVO article the F50 came out on top. All drivers confirmed that. They all went in expecting the F40 to be great and the F50 to lag. The opposite was true. The F40 was just not as raw as it looks, and the F50 was everything that the F40 and Enzo are not.

Interesting point they made was that at the time of the F50 launch, Ferrari did not allow any car mags to do a major test of the car. As a result most people never got to test just how good a car it was.

Has anyone driven both on the roads to confirm?

They also said that although on a track the Enzo would leave all the cars for dead, on the open road it was not as quick as the F50.

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Hmmmmmmm maybe I'm in the minority with EVO mag then. Given a choice, I would take a F50 even over an Enzo. Don't get me wrong - if I EVER had the chance and means to take ANY of those cars I wouldn't hesitate. But there is something about the F50 that really attracts me to it - maybe it's the open top design. Oh well. It will be many years before I have to start seriously wondering which of those four I should park in my garage first.

10. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    The F50 runs faster than the F40 on race tracks , thanks to a better chassis , but slower at mid-range acceleration that the 425 ft-lb predecessor.

11. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
  12. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    I find that that both in Europe and in Japan Ferraristi I talk to prefer the F50 to the F40. Only in this country (USA) is the F40 more popular. Same thing with the F1/6sp debate.

13. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I'm not clear...are you saying the F1 is more popular in Europe and Japan, while the US prefers the 6spd?

Gary

14. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Count me among the odd people, I'd much rather have an F50 than an F40 or Enzo.

15. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes Gary, that's correct but don't confuse buyers with "chatters". Buyers of new cars in the US clearly prefer the F1, it is mostly non-buyers in this country who prefer the 6sp, at least that's what I was told by an F marketing lady and I think she's correct.

16. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    F50 for me............I like the style more plus it has the newer technology.

17. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That was a great article! I would love to drive any of those cars! I have always loved the F50. Now I really must drive one!

18. TeenwhoneedsaFerrari

Dec 23, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Blair Salter
    The F50 has always been my favorite Ferrari. My first Ferrari model was an F50. Before I had even begun to know cars or anything about them, I picked out the F50. The F40, F50, and Enzo are all beautiful and powerful cars. They have lines like no other car on the market. The F50 I think has always had an appeal to me because i like convertables and GTS', plus it is so much like a racecar.
    As far as looks go, I think the F50 is a much prettier car than the F40 or even the Enzo. They both are very breathtaking cars in person. Although I have never been next to an F50, I have seen an F40 and an Enzo in person, up close. They didnt make me feel quite the way I thought I should standing next to them. I know(or at least hope) that the F50 will give me the feeling I was looking for.
    I believe the reason people chose the F40 over the F50 is that an F40 is just more racecar like. It's looks more stripped down than the F50. Another reason is that the F40 is really the first supercar of the 90's. In my garage (well, my desk for now) The F50 is king!

19. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    "The F50 has always been my favorite Ferrari."

Mine too, although most all of the models have something that is very appealing about them.

20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I like the F50. The F40 seems more accessible, however. The jury has still gotta be out on the Enzo...in terms of its' place in history. It will be interesting to see if (in ten years) The Tifosi will like the F50 more than the Enzo.

DL

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I prefer the look of the F40, but having followed both, I LOVE the sound of the F50....so for me, F50!

22. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have to agree with you boys, there is no question, the F50 is THE CAR! And being naturally aspirated makes it even more appealing to me, especially as it can compete vary competitively with its forced fed brothers, and if you wanted to really even up the playing field, there’s always Koenig’s twin turbo F50, which makes the F40 look pretty tame, http://www.fast-autos.net/koenig/koenigf50.html , but saying all that, as Slag_328GTS said earlier, I wouldn’t kick any of them out of bed!

23. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

They are all nice to drive.
    I have been lucky enough to drive all 4 models.
    And don't really have a favorite, all of my drives were only about 15 miles long.
    But I do have to say that the Enzo can stop like crazy.
    It is also the only car that I have been nervous to drive because too many people on the road were trying to get closer to the car.

24. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Naturally aspirated V12 behind the ears, smooth lines, beats an F40 on the track, priced less than the Enzo, and has a targa and you don't like it? Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Sunny

25. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    F50 , no question.

Rudy