drive or winter storage? | FerrariChat

drive or winter storage?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mondial85, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    What is better for my car; to drive it for at least 20mins once a week (allowing all fluids to come up to temp and preventing fuel tank rusting), or to simply store it for another 2-3 months? Sorry in advance if this topic has been discussed to death in the past.

2. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Drive it, and do not limit yourself to 20 minutes a week... Enjoy it as much as you can!

Ciao

Eugenio

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Try and drive it, if you are free, the weather is decent (no snow, no salt, no ice)

If not store it.

My car ends up sitting for 2 weeks or 3 weeks until its nice enough to take her out. :(

We asked for it by living up here.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would try and get it out for a 20-30 minute drive every couple weeks...

6. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    ok, im hearing drive...thanks for the input!

7. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    always be ready to drive. here in the northeast the winters suck but you never know when one good day comes along. i was driving on Xmas!!

8. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I just had to install my Christmas Hill peddle set today and after I needed to make sure that they were installed right and worked properly. So even though it was 18 degrees out I needed to warm it up and then take it out.After about 20mins and the temp's were up I did a couple of standard Fcar tune ups and returned back home. Another fun 45mins in the winter. Doesn't look good for this week because snow is coming again. Fun to drive , drive for fun.

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I leave my car in storage all winter. I fill the gas tank then add stabilizer, drive around for about 30 mins, park it and spray heavy duty silicone lubricant on the engine and a couple of other places. It is a heated garage with very low moisture {parked on the 2nd level of a 3 storey garage} Is this acceptable?

10. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    I personnaly find that driving my F-car in winder is not "obvious". I mean not only about having fun!

Being stuck by a summer storm is not fun. Snow and ice are even worth. Have you ever had the bad suprise of finding the road frozen in some corners? Ouah.... that's not so fun when comming a bit ... fast in the curve.

What about the salted road? Are you bringing your F-car to the car-wash station after every winter ride? To avoid any corrosion, I'm cleaning my F-car (not the other) after every winter ride.

11. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    While I don't have a Ferrari, I don't take my 911 out unless there isn't any road salt, and I can clean the car if it gets dirty before putting it away. Because once we get road salt here in NJ it's pretty much here for the duration, and because I don't want to wash the car in 20 degree weather (I won't go to the auto car washes with the car), I usually wind up keeping it in the garage for 2-3 months. I did have the car out a couple of weekends ago because it was nice, but now we have nothing but cold forecast, and after the dusting of snow last night, I'm sure there's salt on the roads.

Everyone has their own opinion of this. In over 15 years of various porsche ownership, I've never had a problem with bad gas (I put techtron in with the first fill up after the winter to clean anything that may have settled) or with flat spots on the tires- although I usually put a few extra PSI in the tires. I would guess the weekend cars I've had have sat for 10 weeks or so on average between all the winters. Once we get a good rain in the spring to wash away the salt, I'm back out there- even if its in the 30's, I'll get out there & wash the car if road salt gets on it (well, down to the high 30's anyway) :)

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Why wouldn't you want to drive it during the winter, weather permitting ? Ferrari's do have heaters you know. I drive mine every chance I get as long as there is no rain, sleet or snow. When it does snow, rare in Atlanta, I do wait a few days for the road salt to wash away before I drive her. Remember, the engine runs better in cold weather anyway.

13. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Drive! I drove the TR for a couple hours on Saturday here in NY in 15-20 degrees, and it actually seemed quiicker when it was fully warmed up than it does in the summer - the tires were like hockey pucks though, so I had my hands full when I hit the turns.

David

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    From the 1st major snowfall of the year untill about April the road is white with salt. When the snow clears off the road you have to slow down due to so much salt. The joys of Nova Scotia!

15. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Drive the car. Clean the car. Drive the car. Clean the car. Watch the snow fall and clean the car in the garage. Wait for clear dry roads. Drive some more. Clean the car.

You get the idea. I love cleaning my car; it's quality time with something I love. When it's below freezing the roads are dry if salty.

Ken

16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
  17. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Someone has a nice view.

18. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Looks like in north America most of the road are salted during winter. At least for the cold(est) areas if I can say. Is't correct?

Here in Switzerland they recently significantly reduced the amount of salt used. For ecological reason, only the main roads are cleaned and then salted. When the small(est) ones are not salted.

19. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I just thought of something. My car only cost 7500. Why the heck do I store it at all?
    Do you guys store your cars due to price {salt, fender bender, etc...} or because you can't drive them due to too much snow and ice?
    Next year I'm driving mine.

20. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    In Switzerland you are lucky that they have cut back on salt use. I live near Detroit, Michigan which has a salt mine under the city so salt is plentlyful. Our streets become white in winter not from snow, but from salt. I stop driving at first salt drop (this year 1st November usally until middle April) I wish we would reduce using so much salt.
    I have visited your beautiful city along with Lucerne also Lugano you live in a very pretty part of the world.

21. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Drive....

22. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Drive... Did about 35 miles today and about 30 last week. i wait for a few CLEAR days in a row so the streets are relatively clean and then away i go. People are amazed to see a Ferrari on the road in the New England winter, and Rosso looks GREAT with a white snow backdrop :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

23. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    I have to admit that I am a little bit double on this subject. I prefer to keep my car in storage because I think that she will break in bad weather, snow and salt. (idiot thought?). But on the other hand I get very restless if I cannot drive it for a longer period of time.

So I drive it and I wash it and I drive it etc etc.

Actually I drove it today! (-2 C / 28 F)

:)

Ton