replacing 308 shocks | FerrariChat

replacing 308 shocks

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by paul 308, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paul 308

paul 308 Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Guildford, Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Deslandes
    Can anyone give advice re removing springs from old shocks and fitting to new? I'm about to embark on an all around suspension rebuild on 1976 308GTB and I've read the threads on replacing bushes etc and I'm (reasonably) ok with that bit - but I've been warned that removing the springs can be downright hazardous.

Do standard screw-type spring compressors work (3 or 4 needed)? Are there any good dodges?

Do the new Konis need to be adjusted or are they set right for 'standard road use' off the shelf?

2. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    bring them to your local service guy , they will have a spring macine mounted to the wall that is a piece of cake to use. have all parts clean and ready to go. if they let you use it you can be done in 15 min. if they insist on doing it for you, the more you have ready the cheaper the job will be.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Not sure what the Konis are set to as the come out of the box, but this was discussed over at the other list, and was said to set them in the middle, which is around 1.75 turns out, as there have around 2.5 turns total. Basically somewhere in the middle.

4. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Just did my front and rears, from what I have been told, all koni's come preset to full soft. I fully recommend taking the shocks with the springs to any muffler/shock place like Midas, they charged me 1/2 hour labor for each shock/spring assembly. Bargain rate if you ask me. They did great work! Bring old spring and shock assembly with you to extract out the old upper and lower rubber spacer rings. Those are not cheap and replacement is not usually necessary. The midas place that did mine did not know how to set the adjustment of the koni's. Instructions come in the box. Upper part of the koni contains a small spongelike spacer that needs to be removed in order to rotate upper shock to set desired stiffness. Replace spacer once desired stiffness is set.