550 hi-performance air filters | FerrariChat

550 hi-performance air filters

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rudy, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Hello,
    I'm wondering if anyone has any sources or opinions/facts about adding hi-performance air filters to a 550 Maranello. I am putting a Tubi on it right now, and i wouldn't mind adding higher flow air filters that fit perfectly, and still protect the engine at or near stock filter levels. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Rudy
    Los Angeles

2. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Rudy:

The stock filters are not that restrictive. The most restrictive part of an intake is usually the intake itself. If you are looking to add power, I think you will be disapointed. A good cold air intake will improve throttle response though. My advice would be to design a cold air intake that utilizes the stock filters but uses a "ram air" like intake tract. A good example of this would be the 550GT cars in the ALMS with the rings for intake tracks. My company has come up with a system for most BMWS but have not had any interest from a 550 owner. I think it wouldn't be that difficult on the 550 but I may be mistaken. Hope this helps.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I stock and have sold many sets of 550/355/575 filters, among others, and contrary to many opinions, they make a considerable difference. In fact, the 550/575 responds best of all the applications, probably due to it's large capacity.

One of my customers phoned me 15 minutes after he drove away with them fitted, to say "%$#%ing hell, they're awesome".

The filter element is the same as 355, so if that helps when sourcing your own locally....good. I can of course sell you mine, but you will find some locally......

I recently sold 3 sets to a guy in Indonesia who has part ownership of Sepang. He fitted them to his 355, 550 and his friends 550 and they do laps. Along with decent brake pads all round, steel braided brake hoses and a subtle suspension tweek that requires no parts, the 550 reduced their laptimes by over 5 seconds. No doubt added enthusiasm counts for some of it, but the "seat of pants" test is easily felt, and heard.

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

2 questions, please:

1) which filter do you recommend, that does not increase dirt into the motor?

2) what is the suspension tweak that requires no parts?

Thanks,

Dave

5. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Well, I have heard that the filter is a bit restrictive on the 550. I have also heard that the K&N filters don't truly fit properly. I've seen ads in Forza that show the USA Tubi people import their own filters from Italy. I'm no race car driver, but if you can put on a set of filters that help the car perform better, why not?
    I have never seen dyno numbers for the Tubi exhaust or any aftermarket filter on the 550. I'm thinking I'll stay with the stock filters until I see some numbers. I appreciate all the input. If I do change out the filters, I'll post my findings and opinions.

Thanks guys.

Rudy

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think the two preferred brands are the BMC brand and the TSI Components (TSI is sold by Tubi and Tubi dealers). The K&N part number is 33-2816, but is supposedly sold in Europe only.

7. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    TSI is the brand I was thinking of. Thanks Dave.

8. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Every high performance car website gets to this sooner or later. Usually hear quotes of 5 to 10 HP. It is a small change that when put together as a package makes a noticeable improvement.
    Less restrictive air filters
    Port and polish throttle bodies
    Remove intake restrictions
    Less restrictive exhaust modifications.
    etc.
    One tidbit that made sense was the paper elements tend to swell up in higher humidity, therefore restrict power when compared to a K&N type filter. Less restrictive filters would tend to let more dirt into the engine but probably isn't a big deal as most Ferrari owners change their oil religously. I had K&N's on my 308 and boxer and I noticed a difference.

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The best quality filter I think, is BMC, but they are very expensive compared to others.

I'm not a k&N fan, and have not tried them for ages, but that doesn't mean they're no good.

I use "Green Cotton". They come oiled and ready to use. The dirt issue is not worth the wear and tear on my keyboard, let alone your engine.