308 GTB rear glass leak | FerrariChat

308 GTB rear glass leak

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LSU348, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will be checking the right side of my rear glass. I suspect I will find a leak on the rear glass and possibly the right side window (not the door). Any tips for resealing the glass so it does not stick out like a sore thumb? I will be removing the whole side window panel anyway to remove a nasty looking old cell phone antenna.

Thanks,

-Mike

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Permatex makes a thin, flowable RTV for sealing window leaks.

Use something thin like a dull knife blade to pry the rubber seal away from the glass, & use the plastic tip to put a very small amount into the gap between the rubber & the glass. If there's no rubber seal, then try to find the general area & see if there's a gap where you can work some of the RTV into it. Wipe off any excess.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The quarter glass is a breeze to re and re and Im sure you will be shocked at the rust on the parcel shelf under the vinyl. I was and I know of another, same rust, same area but the back glass is a nightmare to get out.

4. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    be careful thet rear glass is a bit pricy. the rubber is a gasket that locks in place when the glass is pulled into itl and should fit tight. i had mine done by a profesional window guy and it took him a couple of tries but he did get it perfect with no goo involved.

5. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, I think my window and rear glass seals are good. Drove her to the house in the rain today (reasonably hard rain in Houston) and there were no leaks.

I am starting to think one of my gas tank crossovers or other fuel seals may be leaking very lightly. Saw a thread about that somewhere. Not a horrid fuel smell but it is there - especially on the driver's side near the parcel shelf.