What next after the Enzo? | FerrariChat

What next after the Enzo?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Matt LaMotte, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I know this has come up several times on the board but do any of you guys have any clue what might be up Ferrari's sleeve in a few years once the Enzo has become outdated. The main reason I am curious is I imagine that with the increases in technology and design of the cars it appears that they are heading towards putting out a Formula one car for the street. You can tell in the design of the body of the Enzo that it takes it lines from a Formula One car and has tons of carbon fiber. So since Ferrari is always heading into the future do you think that the next flagship car will simply be a closer version to the race cars or will they finally reach a point of performance where they can go no further due to cost and safety to ther customers. I know they could probably sell the cars but with the cost of repairs to the Enzo things don't look to be getting cheaper. Eventually you will need 3 Ferrari technicians and a ton of computer programs to start your new supercar for a trip to the grocery store. Ok I am probably wrong there but I am sure you guys see where I am coming from. Any comments? What do you think is next?

2. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If I had to guess I would say we'll start hearing rumors of a new supercar named the F60 soon. "Chatter" will increase until a press release in 2005, build date 2006, model year 2007 in alignment with the 60-year anniversary.

Luca said the F50 would be the last of its kind ("formoola wahn for di road"), but I guess the Enzo disproves that.

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Maybe Ferrari will go retro with a normally aspirated engine, light spartan body, minimal electronics, trippy body style....naaaa...that's Lotus.

Okay, space age electronics that memorize your trips around the block (who cruises in an Enzo anyway?) and shifts for you, more dynamic active suspension, tiny engine that puts out 1000HP, carbon fiber sun visors and a self adjusting cup holder. And a $2 million price tag.

Ken

4. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    If Ferrari continues their tradition Ferrari anniversary cars, the F60 would be released in 2007 for the 60th anniversary of Ferrari. Some say it will have 800 bhp , V12 engine but this is only rumours.
    We don't know maybe they've already draw the F60 and they're working on making the prototype right now.

Only Ferrari knows..

5. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I think Ferrari (Pinin) will go back to designing good looking supercars again like the 288 or F40.

6. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    [size=+2] The
    FIORANO
    [/size]

7. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Seriously, I'm looking for the next flagship car to be a V-10. It's the best power/weight/complexity ratio for a race car and they should carry that over.

Ken

8. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    What about something that revs like a Formula one car or close to it?

9. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

License the Testaretta head and valve actuation design from Ducati. 6.0L V-12, 834 hp @11,000 rpm (race car 1100+ hp @13,000 rpm). Forget the 30,000 mile service, before then you would have FOUR valve adjustments on 48 desmo valves.

Have active aerodynamics that allow for 1G+ cornering, but also 240mph top speed. Carbon fiber wheels (curb rash=new wheel).

By then MSRP would be about $800k

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    that would be a very cool name for the car. i wouldnt mid seeing something along the lines of a F40 again. Love that car

11. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I would like to see the future ''F60'' to be able to rev up to 10.000 rpm.:)

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'd like to see an Italian designer at Pininfarina instead of the Japanese guy that designs Ferraris now. He messed up on the Rossa showcar giving it a butt like a Miata, then the Enzo is rather odd & the 612 looks like a giant Toyota. WTF ?!?!

Send this guy to Toyota & hire Fioravanti who did the 308 & other great BEAUTIFUL Ferraris

13. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron

I think he already left pininfarina.They did a interview with him in Forza.

14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    wanted to edit my previous post to add this but to much time had passed. Something like a Twin Turbo V-12 so you cna have the unbeatable experince of the F-40 but the sound of a V-12.It'd have better performance than the Koenig F-50.also a 7 speed transmission would be very fun.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

It would need a rebuilt every 300 miles :(

16. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    What do I hope for? Something more human than the Enzo!!
    Something that can be driven on the road, not just a pure stylistic or engineering exercise.
    Less electronics, a powerful engine, mechanic gear shift. In the same lweague but better than the Ford GT.
    Never forget that Enzo said that his cars had to be object of pleasure for successful people to love and drive, not just to park in a garage like 99% of Enzos will be!!!
    There is no point IMHO into producing an object that nobody will ever drive on normal road. Give us back a true supercar!

17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont think we'll be able to see a car thats lighter as an F40 anymore due to all those safety and regulations BS..So the minimal weight seems to be 1350 kgs ( even the Zonda with no Air bag weighs around 1250 kgs..)

I dont know what i would like to see since asking more hp or more torque than what the Enzo already offer is madness..

700 hp ? 800 nm ? What for ?? the Enzo is already fast enough..

Maybe a manual gearbox ? A 7 speed gearbox ..

18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

An Enzo is meant to be driven , its not just a pure stylistic or engineering exercise.If owners dont drive their cars on normal roads and even less on the tracks its not the Enzo faults or Ferraris ..its because they are posers...

19. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Very well said.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Via the name it will be a Dino :):):)

As for borrowing Ducati designs, er, I think you will find that Ducati had help from Ferrari for their MotoGP bike engine. Plus going by the negative belt replacement comments by Ferrari owners, having their desmo valves adjusted every 12000 miles will piss them right off!

Many Ferrari owners need to have their poseur car ready for that trip from the garage without any maintenance for years and years based on many replies to the many, many timing belt threads ... and yet if their fancy clothes need dry cleaning they think nothing of it :). Guess that proves they are only skin deep people :)

Pete

21. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    For me its definately a 7 spd gearbox and a 10,000+ rpm 12.

22. thomasmurphy

thomasmurphy Rookie

Dec 14, 2003
    I understand that there is an Enzo Evolutione, at least one, a new take on the F50 GT.
    Anyone seen or heard of this?

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I am wondering when road cars will finally hit the "performance wall". A 0-60 time will eventually become an area you cannot improve upon. I suppose top speed could be a continuous target as long as the car will stay on the ground.
    I first started reading C&D and R&T around 1981 when I was 13. Back then a good 0-60 time was between 7-8 seconds with the occasional sub 7 here and there. There were no US-legal "stock-off-the-showroom" cars that could top 150. As the years past I watched the 0-60 times fall and top speed increase to the point that a new Mustang now has more performance then a Ferrari BBi.
    For a street car the envelope can only be pushed so far and I am wondering if we are very close to the end now. I mean you will never get a car to go 0-60 in LESS then 0.00.

24. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    The new Ferrari supercar will be called the Electro. Power will be a simple V8 running at constant rpm no matter what the car's speed. The engine will drive a generator which will charge batteries that will power electric motors at each wheel. Therefore, four wheel drive. Acceleration will be extremely rapid because there will be no lag time. Electric power is supplied instantly to the motors upon demand. The main problem will be getting the power to hook up to the pavement. A nominal battery pack will provide the electrical buffer for high speed cruising and supplemental capacitor banks will provide extra high current discharge for blinding acceleration. For battery conservation, drive will be selectable between 2 or 4 wheel, front and/or rear drive. Each wheel can be arranged to allow normal, or crabbing sideways type movement. Axis pivoting is not out of the question for traversing curved roadways that would put other cars over the cliff. The main V8 engine will be available in standard gasoline, diesel, propane, or hydrogen powered versions to suit multiple needs. A possible 6 or 8 wheeled version with Centipede suspension will take advantage of the serpentine steering geometry and enable even more power to remain in contact with the pavement regardless of road conditions. I haven't ironed out all the details yet.

25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    YEAH!!! I hope you are correct.

As for sports cars in general I could definately see Honda releasing the first hybrid sportscar. Toyota could beat them to the punch. That would be cool to have a sportscar that does 180mph & gets 60 mpg+ :) If they used the electric motor for acceleration it would help also since electric motors produce 100% torque at very low rpm

I'd like to see a new Californa, maybe they could call it the Ahnold LOL