Trailer purchase recommendations | FerrariChat

Trailer purchase recommendations

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    My company needs to purchase a trailer for the purpose of being the foundation for floats for various area parades. Although I generally drive my Ferrari to events, it would be nice to have the option to trailer it in rare circumstances.

For rare car carrying, I'll want an all aluminum trailer that is as wide as possible, has a ramped deck at the rear, and extra long ramps. Also, I want one with a built-in box on front which serves as a wind/rock barrier protecting the car as well as a tool/tire/etc storage box. Southwest Trailers sells one like this... almost bought a used red one.

For float building, I need one with good attachment points along the perimeter rails and also in the middle of the deck.

The only thing that seems incompatible between the two is the sloping deck towards the tail... but we can deal with it.

Recommendations??? Issues???
    What suppliers do you recommend??
    What's the widest such trailer you've seen??

2. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Take a look at trailex www.trailex.com and feather light trailers.
    You will also have to understand how much your truck/SUV can tow and make sure you have plenty of margin.

Also, you should probably consider an enclosed trailer.

ACW

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

If I planned to trailer a lot, I would. But I intend to drive the car to most things... I do this recreationally, not competitively. Further, if I do need an enclosed trailer (very rare case), I can usually borrow one from a friend.

An enclosed trailer won't work at all for floats. So, the goal is to get a float trailer that can, in some rare cases, tow my car.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The beaver tail is very good for getting the car on & off with less fuss. Also get an electric winch & an electric tongue jack so you can raise & drop the front of the trailer. Put some lights on it. Get a locking box for it & a tire rack
    Then go to http://www.Hubbell.com & get some nice electrical outlets, weatherproof covers, & some cord reels.