Question:360 stradale engine break in period | FerrariChat

Question:360 stradale engine break in period

Discussion in '360/430' started by stradman, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Just a question for other 360 owners/drivers. How much of a difference did you guys notice in the engine performance as the miles built up on the car. I am currently running a 360 CS, which has 1000 miles on it currently, for four days(see my thread/impressions in the UK forum) and feel there is not much of a difference in the engine performance(not sound!) between the standard 360. Are the ferrari engines bench run before being put in the cars and therefore at their best even at 1000 miles or do they improve/loosen up with time?
    Alex

2. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i've been told that it takes several thousand miles to achieve the maximum performance.

3. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I've had 2 360s. It seems the car loosens up around the 3K mark.

4. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    my CS has now around 1.5K miles on it - I dynoed it and it came in around ~ 320HP rear wheel - believe is that this is caused by the US 92 octane pump gas I use and the resulting intervention of the knock control in the engine ECU’s - I can now produce specific driving situations in which a loss of power is noticeable

I am currently increasing the octane step by step by mixing with 76 100 octane racing gas in preparation of another dyno run – my current estimate is that with US 92 octane pump gas I have seen roughly 85% of the potential power – I see noticeable improvements in my road testing (GT2 timer; acceleration in different gear) – all this with a lot of disclaimers until I am back on the dyno

My advice is to get some high octane > 94 octane US gas if you want to experiment with the car – note that it takes some time to achieve the proper mixture in the tank based on the design (two tanks on each side that are connected at the bottom)

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    hi thoimas,

i'm curious how much they charge for 100 octane in your area? union 76 100 octane gas here (near los angeles) is about $5.00 per gallon (gulp). but i'm glad to pay it to get the most enjoyment out of my stradale.

also, maybe this is obvious but why does it take time to achieve the proper mixture based on the two tank design? are you mixing 2 to 1 to achieve 94 octane?

6. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I pay ~ $6 / gallon that's the reason I want to know exactly what octane level is required - I started with 1:4 (race : pump), I am now at 1:3 and did plan to run 1:2 over the weekend

looks like I will be on the dyno on Friday again - the Xbox's guys want to record the sound of the car ..... I might know more at that point

i am not sure if I will run higher octane gas all the time - I was not aware before that engines today make so much use of electronic knock control even during normal operation - kind of makes sense with the available speed/processing power to optimize for fuel quality in that way - in Itally for example they only offer 95 RON best quality!!!!!!!

however for track use I will go up to the maximum octane available

regarding the tanks - the 76 folks state that there are no problems mixing the different octane fuels - it took me some time to see results - one reason for this I could come up with is that the design of the tanks actually might prevent mixing

7. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Thomas: under what conditions do you get a loss of power?

8. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I slow to 30mph in IV or V and step on it - car starts "strong" - hesitates – continues up to 80mph

times have come in different for the different levels of octane on multiple tries - now all this might be BS since it was done on different days etc.

I also get different values if I accelerate (again IV or V) in very qucik successive runs, i.e. 30mph - 40mph back to 30mph - 80mph - however there is too much stuff going on to be sure