GT4 Performance upgrade: GT4 Owners Please Read | FerrariChat

GT4 Performance upgrade: GT4 Owners Please Read

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    As many of you know I wanted to push my 1975 gt4 bumpers in so I got a set of used shocks and drilled them out. I took off the front bumper last night and the thing weighs damn near 50-75lbs. I have a friend that makes fiberglass parts ( he makes those GTO replica parts, and 348 fiberglass bumpers, and 4 ' cavallino sculptures) and he said that he could make fiberglass bumpers for the gt4 front and rear no problem.

I am assuming taking about 75-100lbs off the car will increase the performance. I was wondering how many of you gt4 guys would be interested in getting a pair if they looked exactly the same and would bolt on just like the originals. I am not sure how much they would cost but I think the more I can get him to make the cheaper it would be.

My bumpers are in pretty good shape so I am also looking for a set of donor gt4 series II bumpers to make the molds. My back bumper is perfect but my front is kind of scratched so if I could find a NOS front I would use my existing front for the mold. Even though my friend said that it would not hurt them I am kind of leary to give my bumpers because my friend (Nick) said that to make a perfect copy you need a perfect original so he may have to do some sanding or filling to get the original perfect before he makes the mold. I am going to do this whether anyone is interested or not, but thought that some of you might also be interested.

Evryone keeps talking about performance mods and I keep thinking how great my car felt after I took the stock 150 lb. "barbeque" muffler off and replaced it with the tubi. The car felt like much quicker.

Well if anyone is interested contact me and if anyone has turned their gt4 into a track car and wants to sell me their bumpers or know where some are let please me know.

Rob
    805-654-7895 work
    805-643-6003 home

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I question the legality of replacing the bumpers...and I WOULD question the safety if I wasn't driving a plastic death trap myself.

Ken

3. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Rob,

You might want to talk to Tate Casey at Carobu Engineering in California. He did a 308GT4 project and it was featured in Forza. He may have spare parts lying around or may be able to direct you to some for your project. PM me or e-mail at [email protected] if you need more info.

Best regards,
    Brent

4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Robert,

I would be interested if it was CHEAP!!! (I have so many things I want to spend on the GT4, i.e. new wheels, fix leather, etc., etc., etc.).

The condition of my bumpers are pretty good, and I would be willing to lend them to you for molding (maybe I can get a discount for being a prototype?).

BTW, my car is a series I GT4, don't know if the bumpers are any different than the series II cars.

Dom

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No offense but never again another group buy.

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I understand what you are saying, but the bumper was only designed for low speed impact in the 70's. Lightweight fiberglass bumpers are already available for the GTB GTS. California has no safety checks of any kind and I am thinking if I run into anything that will be the least of my problems. Dave H here was rear ended and the bumpers did nothing to protect his car, :-( I even got his QV wheels :) as most cars bumpers now are so much higher. The euro model just had a slot with a bolt going through it............

7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I wasn't thinking of a group buy, I was thinking I would expend all my money and effort and if I made a couple of extra sets some of you may be interested in taking 150 pounds off your cars. I was only trying to get a handle on any demand, 4 guys interested or no guys interested.

no pain
    no drama
    no obligation

lose weight now ask me how!

8. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have been told by those in the racing buisness, as a GENERAL rule, every 10 lbs weight loss = 1 HP gain

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Dang - you GT/4 guys have all the fun! Do you think he could do a pair of Mondial bumpers?

best
    rt

10. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    So a diet has more benefits than just better health!

Rob, do you keep your spare in the car, or have you taken it out to save the weight?

11. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    GT4 owners DO have more fun! Especially those that are now exempt! Ahhh, the choices available to us now. I might be interested in those fiberglass bumpers if they are reasonable enough.

DOM: yes, your's is a series I and they have different front and rear bumpers from the series II. Your bumper is more angular looking with the bumper sides integrated(one piece) into the bumper itself. My bumper has two sides mounting to the front sides of the body close to the bumper. Series I bumpers are bucks and are probably next to impossible to replace IMO. There were not many made.

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Dom,

You have the series II bumpers the series one are one piece and very bulky

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    II
    From http://www.qv500.com/ferrari308gt4p1.htm
    2nd paragraph
    For those GT4's destined to the USA, additional bracing was used for the bumpers and between the engine compartment and cabin in order to satisfy the increasingly stringent impact legislation being enforced in North America.
    4th paragraph
    Spec changes included a new full width grille below the front bumper with the auxiliary lights situated behind.