Poll was closed - but I will pay for Fchat!, Part II | FerrariChat

Poll was closed - but I will pay for Fchat!, Part II

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by AMA328, Nov 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Well, my final comments on Part I of this thread, which was closed before i could respond:

* i never said that Rob should shoulder all of the costs of running this board, i just said i thought it had the appearance of turning into a profit center for one person.

* i think it would have come across much better to have asked about the possibility of sponsor support, plus maybe donations. This would avoid any appearance of "now that we've got 'em, lets charge 'em".

* for me, specifically, it really isn't the money issue - i'd much rather mail in a $20 every once and a while than have one more thing i've gotta keep with, subscription-wise. It's also not good form(imo) to change to another board, then come up with the idea of 'needing' to charge subscription $$ at the same time.

* one thing i'd eventually like to do is put together a detailed pics/description of an servicing of a 328 engine...dunno when i'll get to it, but would still like to(as several others have mentioned on the old board; but, somehow, still hasn't been done yet :) )
    If this thing is gonna turn into a $$ site, does that mean i oughta charge some $$ for
    all of the time/effort necessary to pull all of this together? I'd like to think that a contribution like this would come back around sometime as other goodies posted by other folks...part of the spirit of a contributor based board...

Just some thoughts; if you don't like the opinion, don't shoot the messenger, go take a look in the mirror at someone who's not very tolerant :)

End of thread.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I closed the thread not to block you, I think we all know your position without saying more. I think we've just beat it to death and it's a strategic talk, nothing for the short-term.

#1 Appearance of a profit center? It is part of Curvacom LLC and that company is a for profit company. Since I have a good job 40-50 hours a week, I don't depend on this companies income. It is my goal to have Curvacom LLC replace my 40-50 hour a week job. Who wouldn't rather work one job vs. two? Simply, why should you care if it's for profit or not? If I don't offer a good service, then you're not going to be around to pay your money.

#2 I think it would be unethical to ask for donations since it is a profit business. Maybe a "donations" approach sounds better, but I'm a straight shooter and that isn't straight.

#3 Your comment about me just now coming up with the subscription idea is how I know your not informed and experienced in this community.

#4 We'll have users as consultants that contribute based on financial or other benefits. We'll also have users that just contribute because they want to add value to the community and don't expect anything in return.

It's not about paying $1,000 a year. It's about several levels of options, some free that "right size" the community and revenue.

Any discussions we've had the past few weeks are all strategic in nature, I value the opinion of all users whether I agree with it or not.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You would rather it turned into - nay, remained - a loss center for one person?

Good - when the time comes, do just that, if that rings your bell. I'm going to mail Rob $20.00 without any strings attached before subscriptions are official. That's how anyone can help whittle the $1200.00 expense for last month down. If 60 f-chatters do that - *BOOM* - it's covered. That rings my bell. Ethical or unethical be damned.

He mentioned the potential for a fee quite some time before the move was made. Not after.

Do I want Rob to be able to quit his job - maintain and sustain the board he's attained when he's not doing as his potentially frail heart so desires? Hell, yes. Ain't a man in his family lived past 49, Goddammit. He ain't "Rob"bing anybody - and if it means paying a few bucks to keep this board alive as long as he or we are alive, then so be it. I could die* the day after I activate a paid membership, and it will have been worth those measly dollars to put a little joy in my life and Rob's for a whole day. This place is better and cheaper than DismalLand.

*Reincarnated as a dog. After all - it's a dog's life - or sumpin'.