Reverse Gear | FerrariChat

Reverse Gear

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by gts328uk, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi guys. weather dried up today so managed to get out and get some miles on the old girl. She ran fantastic.

One question which you may be able to help on. She's never done it before (mind you i've not had her long) but after having lunch in the pub I got back into the car started her up and dropped her into reverse, there was a slight crunch (engine on the cold side so idle at approx 1800 rpm). She ran fine all the way home. Slapped her in reverse to back her in the garage and she crunched again although not bad. Moved forward and back on drive and sometimes she crunched going into reverse and sometimes she didn't. By the way the cluch is fine no slip and rest of gears perfect. Anything I should worry about or am paranoid with "thats a new noise syndrome"

Anyone else with a 328 have a similar issue with reverse?

Mark

2. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I had a similar type of thing happen when I has a leaky clutch master cylinder (perhaps slave too). It could also be caused by air in the fluid. If it is either of these it's not too bad.

One simple way to test is to put the car in forward gear with the clutch pedal down and wait. If the car starts to creep forward after a minute or so then it's one of these two things. Be prepared to turn off the ignition because if it is this you won't be able to get the car out of gear.

3. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Robin

Been in loads of traffic today and had her in 1st gear with clutch down and she didn't creep at all. I will keep an eye on it anyway.

Mark

4. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I have a similar problem with my car and it is obviously a leak somewhere,my reasoning is that it only does it sometimes i asked the local dealer to check it during a service and they said the clutch was about done(whatelse) but because it is intermittant I realise its not that,thanks for the troubleshooting tips.
    Best regards
    Dave McGuire

5. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Mark,

I know absolutely nothing about the inside of a car.
    But I hate it when these sort of things happen.
    It always worries the hell out of me.

Good luck hope you get it sorted (cheaply)

Wazza

6. RED HEAD

RED HEAD Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    H
    Hi Mark,

I have the same problem on my 328. I find that it crunches if I try and engage reverse too quickly. If I engage the clutch as far as it will travel and then slowly engage reverse it does not crunch.

Very frustrating though not to mention slightly embarrassing........

Henry

7. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I got back into the car started her up and dropped her into reverse, there was a slight crunch (engine on the cold side so idle at approx 1800 rpm). She ran fine all the way home. Slapped her in reverse to back her in the garage and she crunched again although not bad. Moved forward and back on drive and sometimes she crunched going into reverse and sometimes she didn't. Anything I should worry about or am paranoid with "thats a new noise syndrome"

Anyone else with a 328 have a similar issue with reverse?

Mark[/QUOTE]

Mark,

Your 328 reverse synchro is not faulty! - Try double de-clutching, You'll find that this will eliminate your problem completyely. The second clutch action lines up the ratio a little more accurately than your first attempt, and reverse will slip in just as easily as all of the others. Redheads suggestion will work too, But this is more like easing the gear in rather than positively engaging it. They all do it though, So nothing to panic about.

I take it you know about 2nd gear and cold fluids etc ?

Regards,

Steve

8. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Talking about fluid I read somewhere that changing the gearbox fluid to a different type will improve the 2nd gear problem. Anybody tried this?

9. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks

Followed the advice and she's now fine going into gear.

Thanks

Mark

10. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu
    The best way of engaging reverse gear on any of the early 5-speed gearbox cars is to engage first gear and THEN straight up into reverse. This is just standard proceedure - Karl at Verdis explained that it is a design quirk of the early gearboxes due to 1st and reverse being on the same shaft.
    If you guys have still got problems give him a bell, he'll explain it further.