No Ferraris in the first GP race (1950)? | FerrariChat

No Ferraris in the first GP race (1950)?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Crawford, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    I was just watching a show about the GP of Silverstone in 1950, the first Formula 1 race. There was no mention of Ferrari; I though the Scuderia had entered every F-1 race since it's inception...

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think you are correct, Ferrari wasn't in that GP.

I don't think Ferrari has participated in every GP (almost every however). I think some of the F1 teams, including Ferrari, didn't take part in the Indianapolis race, which was part of the WC in some years.

I believe however Ferrari to be the only manufacturer to have participated in every WC year, just not every race.

3. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    To be correct; the 1.GP race in the first season of 1950 was in England / U.K.:

Round 1 Britain May 13, 1950
    Round 2 Monaco May 21, 1950
    Round 3 United States May 30, 1950
    Round 4 Switzerland Jun 4, 1950
    Round 5 Belgium Jun 18, 1950
    Round 6 France Jul 2, 1950
    Round 7 Italy Sep 3, 1950

Anyway, here is the running list with all the participants and cars:
    http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr001.html

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    To be pedantic ... the FIRST FIA Formula 1 race.

Alfa Romeo reined supreme then and Ferrari was too scared :) ... hehe!

Anyway Tifosi is right, Ferrari have contested every FIA Formula 1 season, but also has contested the peak championship the longest contiguously. Mercedes ruled in the late 30's and raced in the teens but has had long breaks from the sport.

One could almost say that a company owned by FIAT has competed in the peak formula since almost day 1!. FIAT raced originally and then Alfa Romeo took over and then finally Ferrari ...

Pete

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually if you want to be really, really pedantic, it wasn't even the FIA back then. Sorry, couldn't resist.

As far as Mercedes or Porsche for that matter goes: I only really count them, when they build the entire car. What Merc and BMW does today doesn't really count in my book. I hold Renault, Jaguar and Toyota way higher than those guys (Ferrari anyway of course). They build their own entire car!

I always think the Germans (with the exception of Toyota) are really somewhat chicken: They don't really commit fully to F1, too afraid of loosing their face. If Kimi is unsuccessful, it is not the Merc engine that failed him, but the darn Mc Laren. But if Ralf wins, it is because of the mighty BMW. Cheap.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oops ... send a mail to that site listed :) ... I should have known better :)

They used, to Mercedes and Porsche have both built entire F1 cars and while Porsche SUCK at F1 (winning only a single race with a stripped down, warmed up VW Beetle ... only joking :)), Mercedes have ruled the game plenty of times (late 30's and the '54 & '55 season) ...

Actually it is not really a Mercedes engine but an Ilmor ... Mercedes are just paying for it ... and probably helping with research. BMW on the other hand appear to be doing atleast the engine side by themselves.

Pete

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That used to be the case: My Swiss compatriot Ilien used to be in charge of that engine, but after his partner (the MOR in the name) died and the deal got really big, Mercedes basically took over. It really is now their own engine.