Tag Heuer Battery Replacement | FerrariChat

Tag Heuer Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by aawil, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Well I've needed my battery replaced for a while now the couple dealers I've stopped at can't even give me a idea of what it will cost to have it done not to mention it takes 3-6 weeks to get it back.I have a S\El but I've heard Kirium batterys go for $200 not sure if that's true but outragous for sure.Anybody know someone who is a little more straighforward about it on the east coast?I would have my local unauthorized watch shop change it for $5 but they reuse the old seals with silicone and i've heard some shady stuff when it come to higher end work.

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Go to an authorized Tag Dealer...ONLY! They will do it for you for under $50.00, WHILE YOU WAIT!

...per an authorized dealer in LA (My wife)

DL

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

I had the battery on my Kirium replaced at the authorized dealer, it took about a week and cost $35.

4. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I had my Tag battery replaced at an authorized dealer. It took 10 minutes and cost $25.

5. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I'll be darned. I called 3 dealers in my area and they all wanted to send it off, long wait, and very high price, don't remember exactly, but it was over $100. I went to a local jeweler who re-used the gasket (I don't do much deep-sea diving :)) and charged me $10 or so. I would have gone to any dealer who quoted under $50, just couldn't find one.

Gary

6. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Hmm maybe I should call some other dealers.None of the one's I talked too would do it.I asked macy's where the watch came from and they didn't know but said around $100 they thought.I had a battery for my mom's watch replaced there and their to disorganized for me.Sounds like I just need to find the right dealer.Most of the one's I've tried are the mall type dealers.Thanks guys for shedding some light on it.I was thinking about getting one of the new F1 watches for every day use.

7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Here's the deal, Lucille. Just about anybody can replace your battery for $25 or less. No big deal. The big deal is getting the watch pressure tested. It's not required that you get it tested, but if you want it to remain waterproof, it's a must. I wear my Kirium in the ocean, in the pool, and in the lake. I don't think twice about it. It's therefore a MUST for me to get it pressure tested, and that's what costs so much. I shopped around and got my battery replaced and the pressure test done yesterday for $80. My wife paid $160 to have hers done at an 'authorized' Tag dealer last month.

8. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I took my tag to an authorized place the first two times the batt. died. They kept it about 2 days and it was about $40 each time. Last time it died I took it to a local "non authorized" jeweler and they changed it in front of me for $8.00. The battery they replaced it with has already lasted twice as long as the ones from the authorized place.

All they had to do was open the case and switch batteries and since I watched them do it I wasn't to worried about them screwing something up.

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I would only have an authorized TAG dealer do it. Get the new seals, get it tested - that's like putting 87 octane in your Ferrari because it's "good enough" or "I don't race it anyway". But I definitely would not pay over $75 to have it done. The jewelry store I used to work at charged $75 and sent it back to TAG - but it did take a few weeks.

10. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    aawil - I was thinking the same thing, especially for a sporty knock-around watch

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    If you want a nice watch, buy an automatic. Why would you spend the money for the TAG name and get the quartz version ? If you want a quartz watch, why anyone would is a mystery, buy the cheapest no brand you can find and throw it away when the battery dies.

12. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Well the automatics typically go for over $1000.Not to mention the automatic will never be as accurate as the quartz.I have a good omega seamaster knockoff that I wear all the time.But it's automatic and a pain to keep wound.Granted i'm sure the movement is a cheap one.This first battery lasted 4 year before the End of Life Indicator started.Quite honestly most automatic's are out of my price range anyway.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    If its an automatic and you wear it all the time, it should stay wound all the time.

14. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I don't wear mine everyday.It would get ruined very quickly that way.It's more of a dress watch really.Mine's the S/EL with the leather strap.It's actaully looks as good as the day I got it really.

15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I've got a Senna and a Monaco, which are self-winding. Nice plus. My 50th Anniversary uses a battery, which has since died and the watch sits idle. Here's a question: Does anyone know if watches are like cars, in that if they sit idle too long can freeze up? I don't want to ruin it by not using it.

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Frank, what if you have more than one nice watch? I love my automatic Omega, but it's a pain in the butt to have to wear it every other day to keep it wound. My Tag went for 3.5 years before it needed a battery.

17. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    AAWIL

I HAVE THE BATTERY FOR YOUR WATCH...IT COSTS ME ABOUT 1.50, BUT THE SEALS HAVE TO BE REPLACED AND TESTED FOR PRESSURE.........

MY ADVISE......GO TO A TAG DEALER ONLY................

BRUCE

18. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Advise that I'll be taking Bruce. I think getting the seals replaced is the way to go.I'll probably call around tomorrow to see if someone can do it on site.Kinda funny the damn thing costs so little.Thanks for the info Bruce.

19. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    NO PROBLEM BUDDY

ITS NOT THE BATTERY THAT SO FREAKIN EXPENSIVE...ITS A TAG, NOT A TIMEX AND THE SEALS AND PRESSURE TESTING IS VERY IMPORTANT

BE WISE..DO IT RIGHT...

BRUCE