355 Center console bubble | FerrariChat

355 Center console bubble

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vref, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Does anyone have a solution for this bubbling problem? See Pic

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    From what has been posted in the past, you can:
    1) Buy a factory replacement and wait for it to bubble again.

2) Buy a carbon fiber replacement from one of several sources on the Internet, which may/should last longer.

3. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Any recommendations or pictures of what the carbon fiber stuff looks like?

4. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Words from Ferrari

The part number is 64502200 for degrees F and the price is US$1391.04
    However, Ferrari North America does not have it in stock so it would take some time to have one for you as I do not keep those in stock.

Please give me a call at 713-772-3868 if you would like to place one on order or if there is anything else that I can help you with

5. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Try searching the archives in the old site, or do a "google" search for "355 carbon fiber" or something like that...

Also, check the sponsors page, one or more of them should also offer them.

6. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    I don't have such problem with my central tunnel pannel.

For my own understanding - and to try as much as possible avoiding this kind of problem - are you offen parking your car outside? And hence having very high temperture in the cabin for long period?

7. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Perhaps, but what is annoying, even a Hyundai doesn't have this sort of problem. This has been a problem for several years and models of Ferraris. The interior peices should be able to withstand normal operating conditions without self destructing. :) One would think that Ferrari should stand behind their product and fix this for free, since it is a known defect in their quality and workmanship. $1400 for a faceplate? Even if it includes all the controls, that is outragous.

But I still intend to get a 355 in the next year or so....oh well.

8. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    But really I think owning a Ferrari is all about Compromise (Am I sounding like I'm married to my Ferrari or what :) )

The green lighting of the gauges annoy me, the leather on the seats is so fragile it annoys me, the top on my spyder jams up and it annoys me, the centre consol is bubbly it annoys me, the leather dash above the air vents in the centre has wrinkles and that annoys me, I have the feeling that the whole car is fragile and that annoys me

BUT

when I floor it and the revs build up, and that unearthly sound behind me builds up, 3rd, 4th, 5th (crap traffic slow down) that I forget about all those little nasty things.

I knew what I was in for when I bought it but sometimes it gets out of hand.

9. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    That's been a problem with the 355....seems to be more frequent in warmer climates.

The problem is caused by a "rubberized" paint used by Ferrari that is intended to reduce glare. Go to the old F-Chat site and do a search.
    This also occurs on the door handles and air vents.

Some members have scrapped off and repainted with good results. As for carbon fiber...seems to be available for 348/360 but have not found a source for 355. A sponsors on this board is still working on it.

Here in FL there is an individual who will resurface the components for about $1100. He works with a respected independent, Tim Stanford. If you need info send me a PM.

Frank

10. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Vref,

I can sell you the carbon fiber replacement (from one of the F-Chat sponsors). Contact me by pm, e-mail at [email protected], or by phone at 810.625.3677 and we can talk about it. You can also check out our website at www.dexmllc.com.

We'll be at Cavallino Classic in Florida next week with some parts, too. So, if you'll be there, come see us.

Best regards,
    Brent

11. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Brent - I will be there and will want to talk to you also. I assume you will have a booth?

12. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    FL 355,

Yes, we will have a booth in the paddock at Moroso on Thursday and Friday and at the Breakers on Saturday. If there is something in particular you are looking for, let me know today and I can try to get it in time for the show (you are under no obligation to buy, of course).

Contact me at [email protected] or at 810.625.3677. I look forward to meeting you.

Brent

13. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Bring a 355 center consol...

I'll be at Moroso Thur and Concours Sat.

Prob at Dinner Fri...see Martin's post...Fri at 8:00PM

14. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ok I'll give you a call

15. ECW guy

ECW guy Rookie

Jan 14, 2004
    It's been my experience that armourall or like products produce the bubbling. Car that have no been treated with those products don't seem to develop the problem.

16. its from the solvents and cheap silicones in them. The best thing to use on the interior plastic and vinyl parts would be 303 protectant or Enzinnet interior products.

17. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
  18. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron

english presentation not available, have you purchased from them before?

19. malibumk

malibumk Karting

May 14, 2002
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Klein
    veref:
    I've been told that you can razor the film around the edges and glue it back down....but I've never tried it. I have examined the part and it looks reasonable enough.

If I were going to attempt it I'd set up some flat wood blocks with holes to clear the knobs so that I could clamp/press it flat after I got the glue in there. I'd probably use clear silicone because it won't attack the graphics and should withstand the heat....the trick will be getting it flat....maybe working the bubbles out with your fingers after the glue and before the block/clamp. All this said, yours doesn't look bad, and your messing with a pretty expensive part.

I've been trying to get an old one so that I could develop and produce a film replacement kit or service.....if you or anyone can help on that front, please let me know. There are hundreds of cars in need of this fix.

20. itifosi

itifosi Rookie

Feb 1, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have had success in sanding off the crap in my 348. At least until I got to the a/c vents. They are really tough to get clean.

21. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like a good plan, Thanks

22. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I just saw a 355 center section on ebay (used - but looked in pretty good shape) currently at $73 bucks... The carbon looks great - but if you want time before upgrading to carbon center console, door sills, break handle, instrument panel, etc. This could be a inexpensive alternative...

I have seen a few with just the center console - it looks a little odd in comparison to those who do several parts - gives more continuity IMHO.

Here is the link to ebay http:
    //cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40017&item=2462159801

Copy and paste into your browser.

Hope that helps,
    Rich Wallace

23. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't think that will help as it is the piece below that which is bubbling.

24. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Brent,

Can't seem to find this on your site. Where should I look?

25. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Keep the revs up and you'll forget all about the bubbles.