Ruben's contract extended! | FerrariChat

Ruben's contract extended!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tifosi12, Jan 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This just in: Ferrari re-signed the contract with Rubens for 2005. This was one big open question and some rumours already had Fisico in that seat. Not anymore.

Fisico *might* get the 2nd seat at Williams in 2005. Currently Button is scheduled for that one, but if Ralf asks for too much money, Frank might offer it to Fisico. But then again we're a year away from this and many things might happen until then.

The bigger question is: What will Ferrari look like in 2006? What drivers, what team managers, what engineers? What tires...

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

I think only Luca Di Montisemilo(sp) has that answer right now

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Your source?
    That's great news if true, which I hope it is. I'm a Rubens fan :)

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I could tell you, but then would have to kill you, blablabla.

Seriously, it is from a German newspaper, that knows its stuff and is normally a tad faster than the rest of the world. So you can take this one to the bank. No worries.

5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I'm happy to see Rubens with Ferrari until 2005. ( I wanted to see Fisi getting that seat)

Fisichella at Williams...If he can't go to Ferrari I won't mind seing driver for Williams.

6. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    According to reports in the German press, Ferrari driver Rubens Barrichello has finally put pen to paper and signed a new contract with the Championship winning team.

The Blick is claiming that over the course of the holiday period, Barrichello agreed to terms with the Scuderia for another two seasons, securing his future until the end of 2006. Unconfirmed by the team at this stage, if this turns out to be true, then the ‘dream team’ in place since the 2000 season of Todt, Brawn, Byrne Schumacher and Barrichello looks set to continue.

According to the publication, the news of Juan Pablo Montoya’s switch to McLaren without confirmation on who would be remaining out of Raikkonen and Coulthard, prompted fresh talks between various drivers and teams. It is a well known fact that Ferrari were interested in a future partnership with Kimi Raikkonen, but by signing Barrichello on for another two seasons makes a move to the Reds a virtual impossibility for the young Finn.

7. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Interesting, I kinda thought his days at ferrari were numbered.Nice to hear he'll be around for a while longer.

8. ART360

ART360 Guest

When Shumi retires he deserves a shot at the championship, as the number 1 driver for Ferrari.

Art

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Now that Schumacher has accomplished the record six World Championships and has put his wins record nearly out of reach, perhaps
    Ferrari will loosen Rubens' leash a bit and give him an equal chance to win.

BHW

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I guess I'm not the only one here who reads newspapers in German.
    :)

In my F1 book RB stands for Roger Benoit.

11. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    As of the 4th this is the official line

Ferrari have denied reports that Rubens Barrichello has signed a new deal with the team.

Swiss newspaper Blick reported on Sunday that Barrichello had agreed an extended contract with the Italian outfit.

But a Ferrari spokesman played down the suggestions.

He told Atlas F1: "We have not signed anything. The speculation is just that. Nothing has changed and we will sit down and discuss things with Rubens when the time comes."

Barrichello's current deal expires at the end of the coming season. Every other key player at the team, including world champion Michael Schumacher, is contracted until the end of 2006.

It has been rumoured that Ferrari are considering replacing Barrichello with a young driver who would be a long-term replacement for Schumacher, such as Felipe Massa.

In turn, Barrichello has been linked with a move to Williams.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Blick's Benoit normally gets his stuff right. He was the first to announce that Massa would become a Ferrari testdriver. Long before any official statements were made.

So I'm quite confident, that Rubens' contract has indeed been signed.

PS: Remember Mc Laren, Dennis and JPM denying any contract work despite the fact, that he signed after Magny Cours?

Welcome to the Piranha Club.

13. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    excellent news. wonder who will replace rubens at the end of his term? forza ferrari!!

14. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    F1racing.net
    (January 6)

''Ferrari's president has denied reports that Formula One driver Rubens Barrichello has signed a two-year extension to his racing contract. Luca di Montezemolo said 'as far as I know, he hasn't.'

The Italian added at the American Detroit Motor Show that there was 'nothing new' to add about the status of the Brazilian ace's contract.

As of today, it is due to expire at the close of season 2004. Just before Christmas, Montezemolo insisted that if Rubens extends his already four-year stay at the Scuderia, 'we will announce it. I have nothing to add to what I said then,' he concluded''

http://www.f1racing.net/news.php?ID=66977

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The newspaper repeated its story today also stating, that Ferrari will announce the signed contract in ten days at their ski outing.

In other news Massa did tire tests on the old Ferrari in Valencia and stood no chance against the Michelins...
    :(

The new Williams is already rocketing, JPM did fantastic times with full fuel loads.

The new Ferrari will be announced on Jan 26/27. But with those Bridgestones, they might not even bother.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    In case you haven't heard yet: Now it is official, Ruben's contract has been extended.

17. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    I like RB very much...He is a good pilot and all around nice guy. However, I believe that Ferrari should have waited to extend his contract. In a way, they should 'light a fire under his behind' to make him work even harder for the extension. MS and RB are not getting any younger, sooner or later they will have to be replaced. I would love to see RB as WDC, however I don't see it happening. JMHO.....

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There is a dark scenario in which RB has a fair chance at WC, but we all hope Michael stays healthy.

However even then, I doubt RB would make it. Not so much because of who he is, but because I think no Ferrari has a real chance this year.

Bridgestone - if mediocrity is for you

19. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
  20. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Don't know what happened. I will try again..........

21. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
  22. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR
    Didnt he sign until 2006 season???
    On the official ferrari web site says till 2006
    Maranello, 14th January 2004 - Ferrari announces that it has extended its agreement with the driver Rubens Barrichello to cover the 2005 and 2006 racing seasons

23. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c

FORZA RUBINHO!!!

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good catch!

Yes, the original message was covering just 04 and 05. But now the official announcement also covers 06.

F1 being very volatile, this might not matter too much, but still it would mean the longest teammates. Not sure that is a good thing though.

25. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    He was contracted through 2004 so a two year extension would naturally put it through 2006. 2006 is the same contract end date as Michaels and the rest of the team.