Fiance and I split, need realestate advice. | FerrariChat

Fiance and I split, need realestate advice.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SonicMedia, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SonicMedia

SonicMedia Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Edgar
    I just went through a painfull split with my fiance and we were begining to build a home together. It should be completed within the next 9 to 10 months. She has signed her half over to me and I would like to sell this home by the time it is finished. Do any of you have any tips or tricks that you can share with me?

Here are some specs on the home:
    Total SQ.FT. under the roof: 2,189
    4 Bedrooms 2 Bathrooms
    Situated on a 13,096 SQ.FT. corner lot in a culdesac
    2 Car garage

Located in a booming area near Daytona, FL.

Flager County, Third fastest growing county in the US.

I'm no realestate mogul so explain it in plain english ;-)
    Thanks for your time
    -Edgar

2. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Get a good agent. If you need assistance, I can research agents in your area and refer someone to you. Let me know in PM. It is by far your best bet and in your best interest to get the counsel of a competent agent regarding finishes, pricing ect. Just for the record, I own a large R.E. company in central California. Would be happy to help.

3. SonicMedia

SonicMedia Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Edgar
    Thanks, I sent you a PM.

Anyone else got any tips?

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ditto the previous comments. Are you building the home yourself or are you buying it from a builder? If you are buying from a builder, you may would to contact the builder and test the temp of his water. The builder may prefer to tear up your contract and resell to someone else. Just a thought.

DrTax

5. ART360

ART360 Guest

Call a lawyer in Daytona regarding the law on a forced sale. In California it's called a partition action, I odn't know what its called in Florida, but I'm sure that its similar. Once you have knowledge of the legal procedure, make sure that your ex and you are on the same page regarding the sale of the property. If not, you'll need the services of a lawyer to force the sale. I'd do that before the property gets finished, and you have a lot more money in the property. You're ability to negotiate will be greater before the house is finished, than afterwards.

If the ex agrees to the sale, then find a good agent, put it on the market. I'd list it before the finishes are completed, as that will allow the prospective purchaser to make sure that they get to select the colors, etc. and that could help you sell the property.

Hope this helps.

Art

6. SonicMedia

SonicMedia Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Edgar
    Well, Im buying from a builder... but the ex has signed over her half of the contract to me and no longer has anything to do with the home. I am now the sole responsible buyer. I'm not desperate to get rid of it, I can close on it if need be. But to make things easy I would like to sell it before that time comes, which is about 9 to 10 months from now.