Rebuild Replace '84 308 QV heater fan? | FerrariChat

Rebuild Replace '84 308 QV heater fan?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Quasimotor, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    I opened up the valence to find my heater fan bouncing around in there. Disconnected it and tested 12v. directly across the two motor terminals. With some coaxing, got it to spin, but starts to smell "electrical burn" funny, like I was overloading it. Opened up the halves, found a ceramic resistor inside the body that crumbled out. On the resistor it says RYK11 IR5 TP. The fan itself is a Spal unit, Tipo: 001-A07--1S 12v.

Does anyone know a distributor for these (I'd like to avoid the ripoff Ferrari dealer chain and I think this blower was installed on a lot of different cars, some cheaper than F's).

How about rebuilding this? Anyone with experience? It is possible to replace the resistor (if that's what it was)? Anyone know the specs of the resistor and how to replace? Okay to run without it?

Thanks for the help!

2. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Spal USA, representatives of the original fan motor's manufacturer recommends a replacement, no. 001-A53-A03D (clockwise) and 001-A53-03S (counterclockwise, I assume for the left side blower). The price, plus shipping, is 119.95. On problem, however, is that there is no mounting holes or brackets on this unit, and the buyer would, presumably, have to make something. Many of the older original units had two, plastic tangs with holes for mounting, which often broke, being replaced by hand-made metal tangs that were riveted to the fan body.

Incidentally, the new model has three speeds. These are provided by way of resistors that are mounted within the fan body and wired to three contact points. The speeds in 308's is achieved by the interior switch having different positions that correpsond to sending power to the various contacts/resistors within the fan.

Spal says that the new fans are much more efficient than the old ones and would be a significant upgrade.

3. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    One of my motors broke off at the mounting flanges because of the weak plastic. The shop tried to repair it with epoxy, but still wasn't strong enough. They ended up mounting it back up with zip ties so I wouldn't have to buy a new motor. You might be able to rig it up securely that way.

4. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Another problem I'm having with this motor is that it's just not spinning much. I think it has a lot of dead spots on the commutator. I've tried dissasembling it, but the screws are so rusty they are breaking off or simply not coming off. I think for $119, I'm going to buy the new one and adapt it to fit. Your cable tie idea is good. I was thinking about making metal brackets and cushioning these with some rubber grommets. I'll report with more news when I have the new motor.

BTW: Does anyone know of a US equivalent, such as a Mopar motor. That might save even more money.

5. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    I'll be interested in what you land up doing as both of my fan tabs are broken off. If my fans are OK I'd rather rebuild them and use them rather them buy new ones. I'm not cheap, I'm just looking at the need for a ton more $$ to spend elsewhere on the car.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Well, I just checked Ferrari UK and they are $278 plus shipping and duty. I would be hesitant to start using "alternate" parts and try and stick as original as possible (or reasonable) in order to maintain resale and originality. The unit you have may very well be rebuildable at an electric motor shop. Would be well worth checking the local yellow pages and make a few calls. You might also check the usual used sources for a good condition take off. Try T.Rutlands, Butch Hooper and Dennis McCann.

7. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Dennis has them new for $260. I'm curious. His list has black and white fan bodies, with the right always being the right side. My right side motor body is black. How about you guys? Could it be that mine was replaced with a left side fan?

8. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Got one used,and it still has the plastic mounting holes intact. Many of these break off from the mounts and have to be remounted using crappy looking metal tabs that are pop-riveted (and hardlyOEM) onto the fan body.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to modify the original mounts so they don'tbreak off so easily?

I'm thinking of using rubber grommets or a few layers of tire tube rubber between the bolt, plastic and mounting. Any oppinions?

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I can't remember the mounting tabs too clearly, when I had some paint work done to the front of my 308, we found one of the motors had one of the tabs snapped off. My body guy epoxied it back on, and it held. I would think you may want to try reinforcing it a bit, and using a washer or something to distribute the load better. The rubber bushing or washers idea has merit.

10. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    If I remember these correctly, why not use a small L bracket and self taping screw to screw into the base positioned such that the other side of the bracket lines up with the body attachment point.

Also, I would not be suprised that what has burnt up is the brushes. If you can get it apart without busting it up I would think you could find some brushes of similar size (maybe with a little sanding) to fit at an alternator/motor shop.

Drew Altemara

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Drew the L bracket idea is a good one. Paint it black, and it will blend right in.

12. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    I ended up cutting two small 1" squares off a roll of foam rubber that was sold for gasketing the bottom of my garage door. Then I cut a hole in the center of each and positioned these like washers between the car's mounting and the plastic fan body. By tightening the screws (and I really tightened them) I could adjust the amount of "wiggle" I would allow in the motor. As it is now, it has just a tiny bit of flex, what I feel would be just enough to avoid snapping the plastic mounts in a hard stop (read front ender). In that circumstance, I think I will need more than fan motors. Otherwise, I hope it doesn't facture, that is wear to a break by bending back and forth.

I'll up a pix soon if I can get at it tonight.

13. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    308GTS asked where he could buy the heater blower fan new from Spal, the original Italian mfgr. Find Spal USA at www.spal-usa.com or call 800-345-0327. They are a division of Iowa Import-Export. Give them your model number and they will find you the closest equivalent, which is not a perfect match (no mounting tangs - otherwise the same) but I believe it blows. (that is, it doesn't suck). I think they also have the radiator fans for most Ferraris as well. At $119 (I paid $150 for a used one from a parting-out guy) it's not a bad deal.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have an extra used fan motor (right side) if anyone is interested. The tabs have been repaired but the motor is good.