Yeah, I am an idiot... | FerrariChat

Yeah, I am an idiot...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lesterm, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    So the other night my girlfriend and I went to the opera at the Met. Since it's about 5 degrees outside, I decide to take my car (black G500, WAY too tall to be practical). Anyway, we are running a little late and my girlfriend is yelling at me to find a parking garage, so I pull in and didn't notice the 'low clearance' sign. I thought I could make it with about an inch to spare. WRONG! Three foot scratch on my roof; however, it wasn't too deep. At least the car is sufficiently tall enough that you can't see it unless you're Shaq.

I might have to rethink my life choices. I don't think people getting PhD's in philosophy are allowed to be this stupid.

*EDIT* My second stupid act of the week... this should have been posted in 'Off-topic.'

2. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Everyone gets a turn at stupid.

3. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    If you blamed it on the parking garage that would be stupid, otherwise your just human.

4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Yeah, and then you post a non-Ferrari related thread in "General Ferrari Discussion". :D

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Mistake #1: listening to wimmenfolk tell you what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and why - esp. while driving. tsk tsk tsk.

6. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Someone had the same problem with their G-wagon at the entrance of my building. There is not a lot of street parking in the area so resident 'visitors' often try to sneak into the garage behind entering residents. Apparently a resident went in just as the non-resident G-wagon entered the drive. He saw the door open and accelerated to get in without stopping to check the clearance. SCRRRRRAP.

7. Avia1

Avia1 Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Was buying a G-Wagen. ;-)

It's the one model that MB salesman would rather you buy or order without a test drive.

8. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    That's not too bad... remember the thread concerning 'accidents' in the garage? :):)

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Not to give you a hard time, but I think this is a phd phenomenon. A friend of mine (phd in cs) went out biking a few years back. Put the bike on the bike rack on top of his (then) new A4 (when it first came out) and drove into his garage. It did a bit of damange to the bike, but even more, the roof of the car, trunklid, etc.

Thanks for sharing your pain.

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    So far I have managed to do similar stupid things once a year to my Ferrari. Humbling experiences. Oh well, life goes on.

11. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Thats not to bad. A couple of years ago when my wife was working in the city her boss had parked in a local garage. When he went to pick it up, if I remember correctly, the attendant went to put it in the elevator to bring it down. The only problem was, there was no elevator. He went down backwards 3 floors express. Car was "no more".

12. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Its amazing how often these things happen.

A couple years ago my neighbor borrowed my
    car top luggage carrier.
    He came over, we fastened the carrier to the
    roof of his Range Rover off he went home.
    When he got back from FL and brought it back it
    had a few creases and a small hole in it.
    I could tell what had happened, I assumed he had
    pulled in a parking garage but no, he finally fessed up
    and told me right after we put it on he drove right home
    and tried to pull in his garage!!!
    He said he felt sooo stupid.
    Well a few weeks later I was talking with another
    neighbor who can see his garage from the front of his house.
    He asked me how the car top carrier was as he saw what had
    happened, we laughed about it and he told me that 2 hrs.
    after he did it the first time HE DID IT AGAIN!!!

13. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    All a part of life I guess. Things like these sure keep it interesting :)

14. Coyote

Coyote Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Welcome to the human race,

No matter how careful I tried to be while driving my brand new 360, I managed to misjudge a curb while pulling into a parking spot. The body underside contacted the top of the curb while the right rear wheel rolled over it as amused onlookers walking along the sidewalk of the fashionable west Toronto cafe district must have wondered how that moron can afford a car like that. Luckily there was only a bit of paint scratched off the underside and no damage to the rim. Boy, did I feel stupid & embarrased.