How about some ugly F1 cars? | FerrariChat

How about some ugly F1 cars?

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, flame me for just reversing every good thread, but how about some nominees for being really ugly F1 cars?

Here some that come to my mind (other than the current Williams):

- anything Ensign ever built
    - The Warsteiner Arrows from 1979
    - Ferrari 93 (Larini I believe)
    - those few races where everybody in F1 had to have those elevated sideboards (Imola, 1999?), soon to be outlawed for safety and aesthetics reasons
    - any BAR car, just hate their livery

alright, fire away!

2. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sheesh, nobody wants to chime in? You like 'em all? C'mon!

Here Teddy Yip's Theodore at Hockenheim pitlane. Driven by Swiss Marc Surer. I like big wings, but this is ridicolous:

Decor Plast did some nasty stuff to 308s at the time. You wouldn't want to see those pictures, would you?

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jochen Mass' Warsteiner Arrows. Look how they put 'verticals' on the side pods around the rear wheels. Nobody else did and the Arrows were dogs. 1979 Hockenheim Motodrom.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    1. Supersqualo Ferrari ... took the beautiful Lancia D50 and turned it into a fat pig.
    2. Ferrari 412T1 ... didn't work and IMO just plain ugly.
    3. Bugatti tank GP car ... just ugly, but clever for the time thinking.
    4. McLaren Peugoet of the 80's (or 90's ?) ... ugliest McLaren ever.
    5. First use of the high nose on the Ferrari ... I think half way through the 1997 season.
    6. Brabham crab F1 car ... do not know the official name.
    7. BRM H16 ... ugly ineffective motor and the rest of the car follow suit.
    8. Porsche F1 cars :)

That is all I can think of at the moment.

Pete

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    to me nothing is uglier than the new williams.that whole front end looks like a bag of as*

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agree with all of those. Forgot about the 412T1, yup a desaster.

Another one that comes to mind: The German Silberpfeile. Not really ugly, but a F1 has to have its wheels uncovered.

How about Senna's first, the Toleman? Yikes.

7. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR

Youre absolutely right....Not even my grand mother likes this one....My nephew start crying when I saw the picture to him....Now he can eat all his food..hehehehe

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, let me paraphrase Niki Lauda who once said: "Drivers don't care about (the looks of) the car. If it would help them win, they would sit on top of the front nose."

True, one ugly car, but if it starts winning, well, who's gonna laugh then?

9. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR
    This will be another interesting seasson....we always think possitive and with a winning spirit as you know in Ferrari.

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    That STP March with the round nose and high-mounted front wing. Late 70s. I actually used to like that Warsteiner car!

11. MikeF

MikeF Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Bloomington IN
    Full Name:
    Mike Fisher
    Always liked Ken Tyrrell, but that six wheeled car!!!!!!!!!!!

12. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I hate to say it but i think that this will become the shape of future F1 cars. Ugly but i feel there is alot of positives in the design.

13. riconijhof

riconijhof Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rico Nijhof
    Oh yes, that new Williams nose is awfull.

New Williams nose even worse then Michael Jacksons'!

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Mr. Ferrari said: "A beautiful car is a car wich wins".

No question about aesthetics in Formula 1 cars.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Game manufacturers hope you're right Rob: Computer games such as Grand Prix 4 use one shape for all GP cars and different liveries. Worked fine so far, but with one team looking so radically different, that'd be though.
    :)

16. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

Well the game software gurus will be having fits for this season since we have the Mclaren, Williams, and Sauber all out all with different shapes. Oh well i guess that is what they make memory for :D

Rob

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    What chance is there that the new Williams nose is just a bluff? Because you KNOW every team (except maybe Minardi) is spending unknown dollars and hours experimenting with versions of their own at this very minute. Just enough of a diversion to throw teams off of their precise development schedules.

BTW Andreas, in case you can't read the small print, it says "The nearer the bone, the sweeter the meat."

18. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR
    Well said and well noted....thanx for the reminder..God I havent heard this one for a long time

19. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Got this from Sniffpetrol.com:
    "Fresh from their successful court case against big shouty wrestlers, the World Wildlife Fund is now considering legal action against Williams for infringing the copyright on the common Walrus.
    'It's a clear case of theft', said wildlife expert Fundiweld Moosepoo. 'I was watching the launch of the FW26, and as soon as I saw that ugly front, I knew something was up. They may claim innovative aerodynamic benefits but it seems pretty clear that they've simply copied the front end from a big picture book of fat aquatic mammals.'
    A visibly grumpy Patrick Head was quick to calm the situation; 'We're willing to negotiate,' he conceded, adding that the right to use the design could be settled out of court, perhaps by arranging for Frank Williams to have a fight with a 17 stone Bull Walrus. 'He got special moves,' Head claimed. 'Alternatively,' he continued. 'If the WWF agrees to sod off they can have 30 minutes no-questions-asked 'quality time' with Connie Montoya'."

"STOP PRESS: Fire-engine manufacturer Dennis will NOT be entering the 2005 F1 season. Managing Director of Dennis, Ron McLaren, blames the confusion on 'a monumental typo.'"

20. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Hell i am spending untold hours modeling the new nose on my computers to see if there is an advantage in terms of air flow, downforce and drag reduction. And my budget is smaller than Minardi's (I hope :D )

Rob

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You had me ROTFLMAO at Fundiweld Moosepoo. But I got really excited at the quality time statment.
    :)

The Williams reminds me more of a sabre tooth tiger, whereas Peter Sauber calls it the "Algenfresser" (algae eater) after one of his pet fish in his aquarium.