Any thoughs on Ferrari's chances for F1 this year? | FerrariChat

Any thoughs on Ferrari's chances for F1 this year?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ianlow32, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ianlow32

ianlow32 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    Now that McLaren and Williams have unveiled totally radical cars for this season, I am just wondering if Rory Byrne and team will be doing something radical as well?

Based on past seasons, Rory rarely likes to redesign a car to such an extent as the Williams, and Ferrai cars tend to be more evolutionary than revolutionary.

But Ross Brawn has mentioned in an interview, that Ferrari needs to take a stronger, more aggresive approach this year, so Jan 26th could prove to be very interesting indeed.

Also, has Bridgestone at least closed the gap to Michelins in the dry? Dont expect them to overtake, but at least make it competitive enough to take it to the Michelin runners and dont have a repeat of last year's Hockenheim and Budapest fiasco.

I do not doubt Schumi's ability though, and I strongly believe he can be very competitive, even in an inferior car. And I have doubts Montoya will be his biggest challenger this year. Kimi seems stronger in every aspect to take it to Schumi.

What do you guys think?

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    In the end, what's going to matter is reliability and consistency. While Williams seems to be in the spotlight at the moment, I get the feeling McLaren is going to be the thorn in Ferrari's side. Think how long they have had to develop this car, and they seem to be playing it kind of low key and cool right now. I would also think that the benefits of the new Williams nose, if it IS in fact for real, would vary depending on the type of circuit. We shall see...

3. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I agree,the challenge will be from Kimi/McLaren.Montoya is too much of a hothead and also Frank Williams is not going to devulge all tech aspects to him.

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I think Bridgestone will again be the chink in the armor for Ferrari.

I think its its close between McLaren, Williams, Ferrari and maybe even Renault.

This year, together with a carryover of last year's points system will keep it close.

This should be fun.

Drew

5. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR
    On a ferrari forum...I dont think I can right that BMW will win.
    Beeing Ferrari formula 1 fun for the past 10 years,
    I WILL SAY AND I WILL ALWAYS SAY
    FORZA FERRARI TILL I DIE

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Four factors:

- The Mc Laren and Williams are fast. But I think the new Ferrari will be fast too.

- The season will be heavily influenced by the new reliability rules regarding the engines. Ferrari might have the upper hand here.

- Schumi IMHO is the best, but Kimi and Ralf know their business too. And if Montoya cools down, he has a good chance as well.

- Tires. Currently the Bridgestones are allegedly two seconds per lap slower. And they had all of 2003 to develop better ones and still haven't. Do we really think they're gonna find the magic bullet within the next two months? I don't think so.

Ergo: A battle between Mc Laren and Williams.

Hope you all enjoyed the past few years. I think the party is over.

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

I would not say that the party is over i just think it will not be quite as enjoyable as 2002 was for Ferrari. Other than a few mid season races and the last 3 races the 2003 party was not all that great.

Rob

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Rob, two remarks:

- The party will continue in my house: I might not be celebrating to many Ferrari victories this year, but most likely a nailbiter of a season. And I take that any time over a 2002 season.

- I'm glad you correctly remembered 2003. At the end we got lucky with the weather. It wasn't about Ferrari being so superior. That's another reason why I'm pessimistic. Ferrari was really on a down hill curve towards the end of the season, Schuey the Regenmeister masked that with his freakish talent.

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

The Party will also be at my house every GP weekend except for the USGP, where the party will be live for the 5th year in a row :)

Rob

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And I hope to see some of that buddy!

Also my house party for the Spanish GP will be on site. Caramba!

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    No live Canadian Party this year andreas? eh!

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You're paying attention. Frightening...

The jury is still out on that one. Maybe, ey. Three GPs live in a year would be a new personal best. Or worst for my travel budget...

13. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

I am still deciding myself if i do go to Canada i will try to fund it on OPM (Other Peoples Money :) ) Hopefully in a few weeks i will know if i will be doing the double myself.

14. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    This year we will see a very interesting battle between McLaren, Ferrari and Williams. Just looking at what Williams did at Jerez with their new car is quite impressive. McLaren started strong when they unveiled the MP4-19 with Coulthard driving it and the De la Rosa and remember on january the 11 Kimi set a new record at Jerez. (Note..I heard many complaints about not being entirely comfortable in the small cockpit of the new MP4-19)

Ferrari...lets wait january the 26 went they will launch the new car and for future test. ( Bridgestones are not looking good)

After the new Sauber C23 being released, Fisichella thinks it will be a Renault vs Sauber fight.
    I hope he's right!

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually Sauber is now concerned to end up 8th in the constructors championship, just because of the tires.

Whatever Ferrari is going to come up with, I can't see how it possibly could be 2 seconds faster. At which point they would be on par with Williams, not even past it.

16. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Always those damn Bridestones messing everything up. ;)
    Fisi thinks it will be a Renault vs Sauber but I think he forgot that he still has those Bridestones tires.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Regardless, I want to see Fisi in a Ferrari. And soon please. Not that I'm a Fisico fan, just to see somebody else test drive it, that's all.

And something tells me I might get my wish...
    :)

18. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Thats what I like to hear from other people!
    I agree with everything you said ...except I'm a Fisico fan! ;)

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hehe. In May I'm going to visit the Sauber factory and gift shop in Switzerland. Maybe I can get you something?

20. ianlow32

ianlow32 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    Nah, i really doubt so .. it will be close and tense as 2003, and reliability will be key this time.

Think back, Ferarri last had a engine failure in 2001! And the bigggest question mark over Williams isnt the car, but the team itself. The 2 drivers are not exactly helping each other, and Ralf is consistently inconsistent. Montoya? Well, when will he keep his cool and racecraft intact?

Kimi to me is still the biggest challenge, and MP4/19 looks to be a better car in my view ... The tusk wing of FW26 may just be hot air until it really races and we know for sure.

I think Schumi and Todlt and Co. still have too much passion to let this slip away. They may not win, but they will not drop so far down the order either.

21. Armand

Armand Rookie

Jan 11, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Full Name:
    Armand
    Its easy to think that way, and I hope you are wrong. So many agonizing years until the last 4.
    1. Can we believe that thats the car Williams is going to use?
    I don't know if it passed any crash tests yet.

2. Bridgestone better get off their a** and kick it up.

3. Ferrari is being smart actually, letting everyone show their hand before they unveil.

4. I read somewhere that Ferrari are developing 2 cars, don't know how much truth there is to that.

5. Will Ferrari have tusks?

and 6. The Mclaren is actually a brand new car, not much left of last years never run machine. And I read that its actually turning faster laps than the Williams.

Armand.

22. ianlow32

ianlow32 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    I agree on the last point. McLaren has been developing the 18/19 for more than a year. Williams weer still struggling with aerodynamics up until middle of last season, and even then, their biggest advantage against Ferrai was in the tires.

And my point that Kimi is a stronger driver than both Ralf and Montoya will pose another challenge to Schumi/Ferrari. Coulthard, if hes not in a winning form halfway, will be called to support Kimi all the way. Ralf and Montoya will still fight for points no matter what happens.

I do hope the tusked nose is just a novelty though. It is not pretty for F1 cars to go that look.