BMW new 5 series beauty!!! | FerrariChat

BMW new 5 series beauty!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PSk, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I really like the look of this new BMW 5 series. I think Bangle might have finally got one right ... or maybe he has been sacked or reigned in a bit :)

The 7 series is just disgusting, the 6 series a big improvement with the 5 series looking like a very exciting car, which IMO a big improvement on the old staid model!

What do you guys think?

Pete

2. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Have you seen one in person? I like it better than the 7, but not as much as my 2003 530. Perhaps it will grow on me, but for now I am not thrilled. (since you asked!)

3. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    you MUST get some real good **** "down under," huh?

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Haha ... expected response, but I am serious.

No I have not seen one in person ... guess I should. I was never a fan of the boring old 5 series which to me was a bit of a barge (with the 7 series an oil tanker :(). Some models looked okay, but the 3 series always looked better to me.

Pete

5. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I'm with the 530 too. Love the body colored mouldings and rims- are they lower than stock?

6. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    The E60 actually looks better in person then it does in pictures and videos, but it is still ugly IMHO. BMW had an almost impossible task of creating a car that was better then the E39 with regards to the whole package. The E60 performs great but it looks awful. I like the E65 7 series much more.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay I left my BMW conversion manual at home ... is the E65 the new 7 series?

If so then you are the one taking something :), as that design just does not flow ... but each to their own I guess :)

Pete

8. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Pete, 7 series has started to grow on me quite a lot. The S class outnumbers it about 4 to 1 in Hong Kong and doesn't look half as distinctive especially next to the japanese competition who seem to take most of their styling cues from MB. Saw my first 5 series yesterday and like it overall but the rear wheel arch area looks a bit funny, sort of makes the rear wheels look smaller than the front. Did you notice that?
    Roll on the M5.

James

9. zal333

zal333 Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    If you see one in person, look at the back. The cut-out for the exhaust is very ugly and cheap looking. I am not a fan of the rest of the car as well...

By the way, this is my first post, i have been looking around everyday for a while though....so hello to everyone (P.S. no Ferrari here, but hopefully someday!)

10. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I prefer the 7 over the new 5. The interior design (not material quality) of the 5 reminds me of a Pontiac rental car I rode in recently. The door panels are ridiculously busy looking. BMW is quickly becoming the Michael Jackson of the automotive world.

11. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I actually quite like the understated elegance of the old BMWs.

Quite frankly, the new ones look like they're taken straight out of someone's 80's worst-nightmare.

They're just simply bulbous, overly angular and awkward.

The current model S-class Mercedes is my idea of a streamlined and graceful large-sized luxury sedan; I was aghast when it first came out in 1999 (especially when you consider what the previous model looked like).

12. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I just finished test driving a bunch of sedans to replace our 740i Sport (which i dearly love, but it was hit, the lease is up, i don't want to own it). Among the cars i drove was a 545i Sport (i am not a fan of the new 7 series for two reasons: i think its ugly and its also a big boat.) The thing has great steering and moves impressively for a "stock" motor. The rear fender/wheelwell proportions are seriously whacky though; its got a large mass of sheetmetal coming down from the roofline over the rear wheel, and then what looks like a tiny cutout for the rearwheel. Unwieldy looking and disproportionate. The front end looks OK, and i agree, the Banglized design elements seem to work a little better on a slightly smaller car. BTW, it seems much bigger and roomier than the old 5 series. And, i agree that the ultimate effect of the interior is disappointing; its supposed to look spartan, and instead, it looks cheap.

13. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    drove behind one the other day and the best i had to say was that it's not as ugly as the 7. but that's probably only b/c it's smaller so there's just less car to make fugly. bangle's quote about "the car HAS to look like this" to perform as desired is moronic.

14. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I'll have to also agree with what most of you guys said about the new 5-series. I got behind one for a few miles on the Beltway a few days ago and feel the same way about it in regards to the new 7-series. Not quite as fugly, but it is in no way an improvement (styling wise) to the previous model. I will admit the new 7-series is growing on me a little bit, but it will never be a good looking car to me. The new 5-series on the other hand certainly seems to have potential and the one I was behind was black and it seems to work better in dark colors & the supposed M5 pics and vids I've found here and there seem to give it the aggressiveness it needs. The 6-series on the other hand....well, I find it overly bland...at least compared to the 8-series which it sorta replaces. IMHO the 8-series was the best looking Bimmer to date. Let's hope this Bangle-ization of BMW doesn't last tooooo long.

15. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I just read a little rumor on the M5 board that Bangle will be resigning right before the 1 series is to debut, which is less then a year away. About damn time, he has ruined all BMWs classy designs.

Psk:

Sorry for the BMW terminolgy. E65= new 7 series, while the E60= new 5 series. I am sure the 5 will grow on us as the 7 is now but it is still never going to be better looking then the E34 (two generations ago) or E39 (last generation) versions of the 5.

16. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    some crappy pics i took this summer of an M5 testing in death valley

17. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    front- largest air intake ever- almost looks like an intercooler

18. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ass shot

19. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    proctologist view

20. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
  21. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
  22. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    another out of focus shot

23. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #23 writerguy, Jan 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #24 writerguy, Jan 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    Last summer when I was in Germany, I saw dozens of E60's. I also saw a few E60 M5's, that was exciting. Anyway, maybe it was the jet lag, or something else, but by the end of the trip I started to really like the new 5. I saw the e60 next to a e39, and I liked both of them. I love the e39, but imho it looks a little dated. Maybe all the new technology in the e60 makes the whole car look better to me. But, the e60 definitely looks better in person.

On a side note, in the 5 series factory, I saw an e60 M5 come down the line. I saw the v-10 and the smg tranny. A lot of BMW engineering is white lab coats rushed out and started taking notes on the M5. They actually stopped the whole production line so the engineers could look over the M5. Luckily we had an awesome tour guide, and he let us just sit and watch the E60 M5 the whole time is was available to see. It was very exciting.

MJG