My 13 year old son is so fortunate!!!! | FerrariChat

My 13 year old son is so fortunate!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    We were rearranging my sons room a couple of nights ago and while moving his car collection around began to realize he is probably one of the most fortunate guys of his age in the world.
    1. Spent three days riding around in a McLaren F1.
    2. Ridden in a good number of Ferraris
    3. Has picture of himself in the driver seat of Audi R8 that raced at Lemans
    4. Met the Risi Comp guys while I was working at FoH and was given a lot of Risi Comp apparel and personally autographed pictures of the 333SP that won class at Lemans in 1998.
    5. Personally autographed picture of Bill Auberlein in the BMW LMP car that raced at the ALMS race at Dallas in 2000.
    6. Personally autographed art photo of an original Cobra with Carrol Shelbys personal autograph.
    7. Personal autographs and photos, posters, caps etc signed by some of the sports celebs who purchased BMW's from me including,
    Troy Aikman, Rusty Greer, Nate Newton (yes, that one), Bobby Witt, Nolan Ryan, Tim Hardaway, Juon Howard, Mark McLemore, and more that I forget.
    8. For a 13 year old, he has a great model collection. I will not try to list them here. Just know, it is extensive.
    9. Been in Ferrari Challenge 360 car, challenge 355, challenge 348, F40, F50, Enzo, Audi Speed Cup A4 and...............
    10. My copy of a book that was personally signed on four different pictures by Stirling Moss.
    11. And, and, and..........................

All this by 13. I hope he is not being desensitized to knowing just how special all these things really are.....most of all the three days in the McLaren F1.

And he gets to be the son of my wife and myself. Now, how special is that????

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    And hey, you get a 'good dad' pat on the back for arranging most (if not all) of that!

Good on 'ya. Raising a fine 'car guy.'

-R

3. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Lucky kid indeed. I can't claim anything close to that, but I feel very fortunate to have worked for Ferrari while a teenager. Best job ever!

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Way to go James. I spent a lot of time with my son when he was 12 or so. Now that he is 16, he doesn't need dear old dad anymore, except when he needs the car or money... So git it while you can!

DrTax

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You said it Dr. Tax.

I did my best to raise mine right, good schools, church, the Boy Scouts,
    and after all that, it turns out he's a ..........

LAMBORGHINI FAN!!!!!!!

He doesn't get along with his mom, either. I told him I never did!

6. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Mine likes Lambos also, just not as much as Ferrari and McLaren. I asked him why. He said, "If you drive a Lambo, you get away with looking like Mr. T...bling, bling".

7. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    That's cool, but i think the most fortunate ones are those whose daddys own those bad ass cars and let their sons get behind the wheel

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    James, your son is the MAN...!

9. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    You're the man...... You got on this forum and by sheer determination, willpower and inquisitiveness got your rides and drives in these wonderful cars. I think you will agree that those times will be some of the memories you will hold on to forever.

Ryan,
    I saw in your profile that you were in what I believe to be Kevin Crowders 360 challenge car with Eric. Cool guy, great driver.........

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I don't know if he sold it, but the name on the side was Mark R- something... reid I think. What was crazy about the ride was how LATE and hard he brakes! I'd never held my breath for 2.8 miles before!

11. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Could it have been Mark Rand? Maybe not, I do not believe Mark was still driving challenge after 1998-99.

Yes, Eric is a top notch former F1 driver who has driven for and will continue to drive for Fodallas and FoHouston. He drove the 333sp for Risi Comp during the last time it raced at the 24 at Daytona and had the lead early until a pinion gear cracked.

You better be glad you were not at Nurburgring. If you held your breath for 2.8 miles, how blue would you be after 8 miles?

The brakes on the Challenge car will stop you yesterday when they are hot but did he do any high speed braking while they were cold?????

12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It was Mark Rand, yes. Well, I was the third or fourth person he took out in that car, so it was pretty warmed up by the time I got in! Eric must see the world in super slo-mo, like the Matrix or something...

13. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    do you love or do you wish to be loved?

>My 13 year old son is so fortunate!!!!

ok. you also are fortunate.

>We were rearranging my sons room a couple of nights ago and while moving his car collection around

at 13 he may care to rearrange his room and his car collection around
    himself.

things to consider

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i can't agree more...!

Hey, TontoGeneric, go flush that sh_t somewhere else...

15. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Ontogenetek,

When I said we, it was my son and myself. We had constructed some new shelves together to display his stuff. I never once voiced to him how fortunate he is. I was just thinking it to myself. He has been able to have a large number of great experiences that we have been able to share together on. A person cannot buy another persons love and respect. These things are earned. I make every attempt to block out time for the two of us to have some really good father/son time. If we can do something that is a great experience, it is a serendepity usually.

He has worked hard saving money for his model collection along with the ones he has received as gifts at Christmas and his birthday. He respects what he has and takes good care of them.

I appreciate your concern that I am not wanting to glorify myself either to or thru him. I would never want to do that. He is a really neat kid and I love him a lot. I believe he loves me also but none of us parents really know to what depth until later in his life.

16. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    NNO,

That is actually what I was wanting to say but I thought I should clarify my position in regard to my sons feelings to the others on F/C.

Thank you for voicing your thoughts on the matter. We agree.

17. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Ryan,

I know Mark well. I guess he picked up Kevins old Challenge car after I left FoDallas. Did he have his 333sp there also? He owns the one that Risi Comp ran at Daytona in 2002.

When was this picture taken and where? I assume either at TWS or in Louisiana. Am I correct?

18. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I cannot believe nobody has asked....HOW DID THIS HAPPEN??? We need details on how your son is that lucky...and maybe some pictures too. :D

19. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    A lot of the guys already know this story.

I have a friend in West Texas who has owned a McLaren F1 for 7 years now. He bought it new and actually made the trip to Surrey, England to watch it being built. He took his mechanic with him on the trip. His car was tested in Road and Track back in 1997 and a big write up was done on it. Well, he flies a Bell Jet Ranger helicopter and was coming to Hurst, Texas where the Bell training center is for some refresher training. He had called me and said he wanted me to see his new "toy". He shows up in the McLaren.........

I was working at the BMW dealership in Arlington, Texas at the time and he pulled right up next to my office in it. It immediately drew the crowds you would expect. He is such a cool guy that the left the doors up and the engine cover open so everyone could get a good look. I asked him if he would take me for a ride in it. He said No.....But then he said, "I will not take you for a ride in it, but you can drive it if you like".
    Not wanting to offend him, I agreed to drive it (while salivating profusely). Wow, wow, wow, what a thrill. I still smile when I think about it seven years later....... He was going to be in training for three days and asked if we would like to keep the car at the dealership since it was drawing such attention and since it does have a 627hp BMW v12 engine in it. All he wanted in return was a car to drive while he was in town. I offered him a new "7" but he took my BMW 328 demo instead. He told me that I was welcome to take people on rides in it and if I was going to let someone else drive it to go with them and not let them go by themselves. Who was I going to let drive this car?????

I took the car home at night rather than leave it at the dealership and my wife, my son and I has the biggest blast of our lives. The drive, the attention it drew, how it makes you feel to drive it....it cannot be described. There are so many stories of things that happened while driving it that it would take a whole different thread to tell them all. Suffice to say, this is how my son spent three days in a McLaren F1.

20. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    precisely.

regards

21. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003

"you" own the world hence ...
    have a seat and commence reading - happily

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    For some reason, i never get tired of hearing it, either...

23. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    MY son's seven and all he thinks about is Corvettes. What am I gonna do with him?

24. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Be thankful that he is liking something that you apparently like also (cars). And Corvettes are much less to acquire and keep up than a Ferrari so maybe this is a good thing.

It is always fun to work with your son on building a model kit and there are a lot of good Corvette kits out there. He will really feel a sense of accomplishment when he completes it (with your help). It is a great father/son bonding thing to do.

25. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I remember that car!! I think it had a 'Darwin' fish decal on it and was silver. That is really cool he let you drive it (since I assume he just picked it up, and probably had very few miles on it) and enjoy the car for 3 days. Sounds like a true enthusiast.

Living in West Texas and having a McLaren F1 seems to be a nice combo...fast car...empty roads...I would guess that he gets to the store rapidly in that car. :D

I think I have read about your friend in other places as well. I know there is supposed to be a guy in Texas with an F1 that has some pretty high mileage...is that him?

Thanks for the story....very nice. :)

(*Any pictures of the car??)