Sale at Kragen Auto Parts | FerrariChat

Sale at Kragen Auto Parts

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Bmyth-FDC, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hey guys,
    For those of you that like to work on your own cars and have problems getting regular jacks underneath your cars (like me, hehe...), Kragen is having a clearance sale on their Aluminum Racing Jacks. I just picked up a 3000-lb capacity low clearance racing jack, which comes with 2 aluminum jack stands for $149 ($160 after tax).

There is one more at the Bristol/Edinger store and a few more scattered around.

This is a good deal considering the original price on the jack itself was $199!!

Just thought I'd spread the news...

Byron

2. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    HAHAH funny you mention that! I just bought one on Friday on the clearance price. The jack is awesome I used it to replace the rear tires on the z06. Great deal for the money.

3. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    Thanks for the info. I need an OBD II code reader, perhaps they have it on sale too. I will check it out. Cheers,
    -Jay.

4. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I bought 2 jacks like these at Costco last year. The rear wheels broke off of both of them and the ram doesn't hold pressure. These should be considered for very limited use only!!

Rick

5. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Woah? What exactly were you lifting? THe assembly is a lot beefier then some of the $20 Jacks I have used in the past. And I have done some things with those $20 jacks that I'm not too proud of but they still held up. LOL

6. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Kal,
    Keep in mind, his car has 2 beefy turbos and intercoolers! :)
    j/k... I'm gonna go change my oil right now... will let you know how well the jack works... I'll keep that in mind, though, rick!

B.

7. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Well, the jack worked out great.

Oil change is done! :)

8. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    I bought the same jack from Kragen a couple of months ago but it did not come with the stands at that time. I have not opened up the box, I wonder if they would exchange it so I could get the stands.

It looks like a quality jack.

9. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I purchased that Jack/w stands from Kragen also this past weekend. Besides being sort of stylish, the handle breaks down into two easy to store pieces. (the wife liked that part)

IMO...
    Patrick

10. SilverOne

SilverOne Karting

Dec 10, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Just curious, the jack is for 3000-lbs, and the 2 stands holds 2 tons. (Not sure if it's 1stand/ton, or 1stand/2 tons) I am just wondering if that is enough to lift and hold the car? I have an NSX, and not sure exactly the weight of the car, but I am guessing it's more than 3000lbs.

Can the jack and jackstands be used safely?

11. klfpaul

klfpaul Karting

Apr 7, 2003
    Murrieta, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Paul
    It would only be unsafe if you intended to lift the entire car with just the jack, in the manner of a car lift, which certainly would not be possible with a floor jack! Don't forget, that realistically speaking, at least two of the wheels will always be reacting a portion of the weight of the car, although with my NSX I have been almost able to get 3 off the ground (stiff chassis). Thus, in very very simple terms, with 50/50 weight distribution, assume car is relatively level, and with this example, the jack only carries 1/2 the weight of the car. (4 tires each carrying 1/4 the weight of the car). Same principal applies to the jack stands.

There is also a factor of safety built into the jack, but sometimes I think this may be used up by crappy build quality:)

FWIW,

-Kevin