Front license plate | FerrariChat

Front license plate

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Jdubbya, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm looking for advice about front license plates. My 308 came from CA and doesn't have a front bracket, and I really don't want to add one.

Do any of you get hassled for not having one, or is it mostly ignored by the law?

I was pulled over years ago, but it was late and I think they were just looking for DUI's and used the plate as an excuse.

Thanks,
    John

2. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    John: See page 2 of the Vanity Plates thread.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Knock on wood, but I've never been hassled in Oregon for it.

4. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    $85 fine but I have never had a problem in 8 years here. (I don't have plates on either my Mondial or my wife's car.) I have been stopped several times in each so I can say that they appear to enforce this randomly and in my case, not at all.

- JMG

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Rarely and subjectively enforced...most often by "traffic" officers, not normal patrol officers (who generally, could care less). I have never been stopped over this, in 4 years of Ferrari ownership with no front plate. Most others here in the NW have not been stopped over it either, but that is not to say it doesn't happen once in a while. As JMG said, $85, and a non moving violation, so no effect on insurance...no big deal.

Best excuse I've heard: "Sorry officer, I ordered a bracket months ago from Ferrari of Seattle, but they have been on back order from Italy. I will certainly take care of it, as soon as I can get the proper part" :)

Sounds entirely plausible...

More local discussion here on front plates; http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3746

6. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    my car had a bracket, and that was the first thing to go. never had a problem in the year since. the only time i was ever asked was by a cop at a car show. my reply, " would you drill holes in this car to add a ugly piece of metal?" to which he replied, "no i would not".

7. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    I have been running without a front plate on any of my sports cars since 1984. My first car that "chose" not to have a such a ugly tack on was my '72 914. Living in a college town and blasting around in this hot-rod VW, getting pulled over for little grievances was the norm. But in those 7 years, only once was the lack of a front license plate an issue.

In getting that one and only one ticket getting signed off, I simply shoved the plate between the rubber trim and the bumper. Drove down the street thereafter and yanked it out, throwing it in the trunk.

I moved to Washington in the fall of '96 and have not had a plate on the front of my newer 914 nor my 308.

Dave's "I have the bracket on order from Italy" is my standard "planned" explanation if I ever do get pulled over. And other commentary to plead one's case such as...would you place a plate on the front of this lovely creature? That works great too!

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sophia,
    I'm no lawyer, but would recommend sticking with the former explaination, rather than the latter. At least the "bracket on back order" sounds like an attempt at compliance for the law, versus an out right disregard for it. That question of "would you put place a plate on so lovely a creature?" Could just as likely illicit the response "Sir, it is the LAW to have a license plate displayed on the front of your vehicle"

9. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    One thing to remember is that law enforcement use the front plate to laser your speed, just another reason to leave that neat plate at home!

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, I believe that is one of the reason they are requiring everyone to replace their older plates (more than 6 years?) with new, and will require you to replace them at some specifc interval...they claim it is for legibility (among other things) but they want nice new reflective plates on each end of your car to laser you! Greatly helps with WSP's primary focus these days of speed enforcement.

11. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Never had a front plate on my 355,360 or 575.Guess I've just been fortunate.Have been stopped a few times for "excessive speed" and the cop never bothered even mentioning the absence of a front plate.
    Even talked my way out of a speeding ticket by saying to the Fl cop "I'm not going to tell you I was on my way to a house call; I was just opening this baby up!" HE LET ME GO WITH A WARNING AND I NEVER HAVE EXCEEDED THE SPEED LIMIT SINCE.

12. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I know most all of you have new F-cars but for anyone with an older car in Oregon you can apply for a Special Plate for autos over 25 years and they only issue you one plate. I am excited cuz the special plate is yellow with blue letters and it will look a lot better on my Black 308 than those lousy tree plates.

13. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    LOL.... ya right Marty...!!! That's a good one! ;)

14. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Already looked into that but here in Washington the car has to be at least 30 years old and as far as I know they still issue both plates.

15. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    Of course I would start with the former, rather than the latter Dave! I have been pulled over, I did use the "bracket on order line." Yet, I "READ" the officers that pull me over. If they're human, and they like cars...many will concede that the cars do look better without the plate, that is, if they've already let me off the hook. Yep, if I sense the guy is a jerk-___, I'll do the "yes sir" stuff. It's a small "breakin' the law" 'cause I want to. I'm under the microscope enough in my professional world, and I drive sensibly...Most sensible officers could give a rip about some 39 year old guy driving a 25 year old exotic without a front plate. They're after car thieves, drunks, speeders, etc.

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Gotcha, and understand completely...my thought was just that if he's specifically pulling you over for the front plate, then this is no "car guy", he's more looking to spoil your day. :( If he mentions the no front plate in passing while stopping for another infraction, then he may not be in a good mood to "cut you a break"...either way it just didn't seem likely that the stop is just for "friendly chit chat".... Although once, Officer Dave Larrabee (aka: fad2blk) stopped me in my 308, and it was just for a friendly chat!
    Scared the be-jesus out of me though! :)

Dave

17. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    That reminds me of the time Sue and I came strolling out of the Cinerama Theater downtown and a cop suddenly jumped out of a squad car that was parked at the curb and yelled something like "HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!!" at us.

Officer Dave then appeared out of the passenger side of the car and we all had a good laugh.

18. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hi John,
    For some time now I've been perplexed about this issue, too. When in Indianapolis for the latest USGP, I noticed that Indiana vehicles don't have front plates either. After some research, I found out that about 13 states don't require them, so why does Wa? If anyone wants to join me in petitioning the state Legislature to eliminate them, I would welcome the assistance.
    Secondly, great to have another Ferrari on this side of the water. There are a few of us in Silverdale that enjoy chatting. Send me an email & we can organize something. I'm always envious of the guys over on the East side of the Sound that get to have the cars out as a group, so maybe we can do some things here.
    Looking forward to chatting with you!
    Byron

19. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

20. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Interesting idea, but I am certain the plate size is standardized nationally (and with Canada), so as to fit on all cars sold in North America. They would also argue "visibility" and the size of numbers/letters needed.

Dave

22. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Been doing a little research in my spare time (car's still in the shop). The section of code that covers vehicle licensing is Chapter 46.16 RCW. The section that requires a front plate is 46.16.230. It would seem on the face of things that this should be a pretty easy target for an initiative (it's only 1/2 a page long).

Must be a lawyer out there who would be willing to help write something up??

John

23. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    Dave, I don't care about "what is," and national standardization. I like to think outside the box. I'm not coming down on you, but I'm not one to fall in line just because the "governments at large know best." I'm thinking of a plate that would have standard sized numbers and a state designation. Think about this, the current size is great for the rear, where the one who's doin' the pullin' over can get a great read on ya.

The front, particularly at opposing passing speeds doesn't really matter in size, or does it? Some states plates are so gussied up with cosmetic scenery that there is not a very good contrasting background for the lettering/numbering anyway.

Perhaps the chrome plated plastic chain-linked license plate frame industry lobby is behind the front plate ehh?

PeterB.

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    More power to you guys, fire away on that one...

25. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I'm in Kauai right now, but when I get back in March, please let me know if anyone knows how to get this to the legislature & get the darned things off.