eBay vehicle descriptions | FerrariChat

eBay vehicle descriptions

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sandersja, Jan 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I just saw a current eBay ad for a car that I flew out to investigate for purchase about a year ago. It strikes me that eBay ad descriptions are very much the same as what I have noticed about news coverage. If you know what the facts really are, you are amazed, somewhat amused, but generally disappointed about the story that gets actually gets fed to the readership.

2. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    I couldn't agree more!

I looked at 2 eBay cars recently. The ads, descriptions, etc. bore no resemblance to reality.

Which car did you look at?

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ditto. been to various parts of florida, georgia, tenn. to look at 3x8"s ect. not even close to what was said in print ads/online ads. unless Martin (sponser) gets something i can afford i doubt i will ever go back to florida for a car.... any car , ever. people there (florida) lie about muscle cars much less 25-30k fcars.

4. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Same thing happend to me only with autotrader.com when I was buying my 560sl a few years back. I talked with the guy for an hour on the phone and he claimed it was one of the nicest 560's id ever see. Said it had no rust, problems or body issues. I drove 3 hours to chicago and back to look at a rust bucket that could barely turn over. The guy obviously knew it had problems and rust and that I was obviously going to notice them, why not just say "yes it has some rust and some mechanical problems." Would have saved both of us a lot of time.

5. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Oh, I don't know... Every big ticket item that I ever went to see in Georgia was grossly misrepresented. That includes two Ferraris, a MB, and a Piper warrior. However, I wouldn't be rude enough to say that everyone in Georgia is a liar. Just the ones I met.

BTW, I ended up buying my TR in Ark, my Piper in Ok, and my MB in Tampa, and none of them had misrepresented anything. :)

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    RUDE? WHATEVER , these were dealers and private parties. i have had over 112 collector cars in the last 12 years or so, not counting the daily drivers. if you place an ad and then put in writing in an email how great something is and its not, its called theft by deception and fraud. nobody anywhere in any state is perfect but the florida dealers with a few exceptions suck, and this fact has been discussed in MANY threads. i am sure there are plenty of private sellers in florida that are great honest people, maybe one day i will get to meet one. also i am not from georgia so i have an outsiders perspective on the "redneck" way of fixing and selling things so georgia is not exempt either.no offense was meant to you GABRIEL but i am tired of driving 12 hours with cash in hand to buy select cars, only to be lied to and miss out on a dream car because some jerk was yanking my chain. i just missed a mother load opportunity because i was in winterpark looking at a pice of crap when a perfect car in atlanta came up for sale and was gone before i could react.just venting but the " i am just looking crowd" sucks too. i dont call unless i have the money in hand, no banks, no asking , no waiting and no BS. i expect the same as the buyer. now that i have my A&P i have been thinking of getting a small plane , but the ferrari fever hasnt totally left me yet.

7. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

I can sympathize with all that! - but honestly, I have noticed much the same thing everywhere, although I don't normally deal with dealers or brokers.
    FYI, I am not originally from FLORIDA either. (PA) The only consolation that I had was that I flew private everywhere, so at least I accrued hours enroute, and even squeezed in some student's cross- country time, as an instructor.
    My FBO is right next to what used to be the MICCO, now owned by Lake. I just sold a nice 152 - What are you looking for?
    Anyway, good luck with your A&P. :)