Pirelli or Bridgestone? | FerrariChat

Pirelli or Bridgestone?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ron328, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I don't intend to start a war here. Just want to get your opinion. Am in the market for new tires for my 328. Have looked at the Pirelli PZero and
    Bridgestone Potenza RE750. The survey at Tire Rack rated the latter better.

Am still doing my homework...but I'll ask anyway, a PZero Rosso for the front and PZero Nero at the rear be okay?

I will start tracking my car this year (but am no "pro" like a lot of fellas here). What do you recommend? What's your experience? Would appreciate your input. THANKS.

Ron

2. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    I really like my Potenza S03's

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    there both good tires but potenzas without a doubt

4. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Definitely Bridgestones s03's.

5. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Bridgestones.

6. ART360

ART360 Guest

If you're tracking the car, the Bridgestones. If you are driving on the street, and you don't take the car to the limit very often, the PZeros are the best. The Bridgestones stick better, but the don't last as long.

Art

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Art, are the PZeros good in the wet?

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Bridgestone SO3's... awesome in the dry, incredible in the wet!!
    I know of no better street tire... and given the importance of tires to car performance, its easily worth the cost on any nice sportscar.

JMHO.

9. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    i have S02's on my 308 and cant wait to wear them out so i can get S03's.

10. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Is there a P0 Corsa that will fit?

11. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I checked the Tire Rack website and the aforementioned doesn't come in 205/55 and 225/50.

Looks like Bridgestone is the way to go...

12. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    At the end of the day, only one tire has the bright yellow Pirelli lettering, even if its not the best, it looks the best, and that's what it's all about. (it might even be the best, or not, but who cares)

13. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    I have S03 on my M3(no i don't have a ferrari)and while i think it's a very good tire, it's pretty noisy.

14. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    You people seem to be knowiedgeable about tires I have been planning on replacing F1 Goodyears on my 308 GTS QV 16 inch with Michelin Pilot Sports street use mainly what do you think?

15. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron

Quite true. It's actually the reason I'm considering the brand, even though the Bridgestone has a better rating.

16. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Have SO3's on my 328 and never looked back. Outstanding on track and street, wet or dry.

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    My S03s are awesome!

18. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Definately go with Bridgestone S-03s or Michelin Pilot Sports. Pirellis are over priced and do not stick like the S-03s or MPS.

19. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    #19 jack, Jan 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Michelin Pilot Sport II offer better grip, are less noisy and last longer than the S03.
    I don't like V-design tyres like Pilot Sport I, Yoko AVS, P7000... The performance deteriorate a lot when the tyres wear out, mainly curve-grip and vibrations. For my opinion the V-design is for ricer-tuning only. The new MPS-II is the best road tyre today. It brings a new trend of design : asymmetric, different strip materials. It seems this tyre is still not available in the US?!

My 2 cents.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    are you going to run S03's on your stradale? any idea what the SO3's cost versus the pirelli corsas on the stradale?

also, i'm curious if you're going to run a higher octane gas in your stradale? thomas has posted that he *thinks* he can feel the difference in his stradale around town when he mixes 100 octane race gas to pump gas (i think he's around 94 octane??).

21. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    NON TRACKING OR NON WEATHER.......KUMHO IS THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK..............

22. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I am not ready to put a Korean tire on my Ferrari.

23. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The Stradale (here in UK) comes with P0 Corsa, it's like a track wet tyre. If you're looking it the Mich Pilot you could consider the Pilot Cup which is fitted to my M3 CSL - this is a road legal slick and sticks like glue. It's ok in the wet but doesn't like standing water (just look at the grooves it doesn't have) or low temperatures (less than 9 degress C)

24. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    If Korean meant "cheaper but not as good", I'd agree with you... but if Korean means "best tire available for street/track use", then I'd wholly disagree. Your Ferrari deserves nothing but the best for however you intend to use it.

For daily-driver street use including rain, the S-O3 is the best, IMO.

For street/track use, up until about a year ago, best has been the Kumho V700. Then the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup came out. I haven't yet been able to establish which of those two is better yet.

And that leads to the next question...

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    As others imply, depends on your use. I noticed you are up there in MO - if you plan on much use in less than 40F, or snow, may want to look at the Pirelli or Michelin high performance a/s.
    It's amazing that with the new technology according to Tire Rack, the latest a/s match the performance of straight summer performance tires of a few years ago.
    The original P-zeros are becoming a bit dated. The newer technology SO3 I hear is terrific as is the ES-100