Did I buy a 'Gray Market' 328? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Did I buy a 'Gray Market' 328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Battman2, Jan 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Wow. First thing I did when I bought my 86 328 was call FNA to double check it was a US spec. veh. Next I called a contact I had in the local PD Auto crime unit, and asked him to run the vin every way he knew how. It came back 100% clean, and I bought it.

2. btemplin

btemplin Rookie

Dec 17, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Templin
    This is from Feb '99 issue of Forza, so it may or may not be correct now. But the phone # for Dick Merritt was 202-366-5300, and fax was 202-493-2266.

3. John_308qv

John_308qv Karting

Apr 9, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Jeff, Greetings from another Wisconsin resident! When I registered my 85 308QV that I bought in Arizona, I remember the guy on the counter taking quite a while on the computer saying things like “wait a minute” and “I need to try something different here”. Got it registered though. The lady that you talked to obviously didn’t know how to resister you car and bailed on you with the grey market excuse. I suggest that you try a different DOT location to register your car. I used the DOT office in Waukesha by the way.

You are right there aren’t many Ferraris in WI but there are some around. Good luck!

John

4. Battman2

Battman2 Rookie

Dec 23, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI, USA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hi John,

I actually used the one in Waukesha as well...I guess I just got a different lady?! :(

She was really nice, but totally clueless and left to speak to the office mgr for like 15 min! Hopefully this is all over issues with the system and will get worked out. Thanks for your help, Jeff

5. MadMaxx

MadMaxx Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Don't feel so bad :)

When I went to register my lotus in SC, it went down like so:

DMV lady: "You want to register the car in the state, and have new title issued, correct?"
    Me: "correct"
    Lady: "Who are we sending to the title to?"
    Me: "Me, I bought it"
    Lady: "There is a lien on the car, the name is right here (after confering with lady#2, since she didn't know WTF she was doing)
    Me: "No, that was the lien holder which reased the title, I purchased said vehicle from them/seller. There are no liens"
    Lady: "One moment (goes away for like 15 minutes)"
    Lady2: "So there are no liens on this, it's paid for?"
    Me: "yes"
    Lady2: "Are you sure?"
    Me: "Am I sure? Umm..yeah, since I paid for it in cash, I'm pretty sure it's mine (getting a little mad)"
    Lady2: "One minute"
    Lady: "Ok, we can issue a title to you"
    Me: "Good"
    *she then starts to type everything in*

Lady: "My computer is comming up with all ????? on the VIN. What kind of vehicle is this?"
    Me: "Lotus Esprit"
    Lady: "...Is that an RV?"
    Me: "....umm...no..."
    Lady#2: "Is it a motorcyle or ATV? If it's and ATV they are not street --"
    Me: "(stopping her) No, it's a car. It's a british sports car."
    Lady: "Well, I'VE never heard of it (and I'm sure she's a exotic expert too)
    Me: "I can assure you, Lotus has been around for quite some time"
    Lady: "It doesn't show up with a valid VIN. We need to see the car"
    Me: "Not a valid vin? Are you sure you're typing it in correctly?"
    Lady: "Yes, Sir. I am. We will need to see the vehicle and verify the VIN on the title with the VIN on the car"

They had to verify the VIN on the car tot the title, for what reason I have no clue. This was at 4:51pm mind you. So I had to wait until the next day, stand in line..AGAIN, and have the car sitting outside for them. Lady checks the vin the next day, and it matches. I still get some crap from them about the vin, but I explain that this number is 100% valid, as it was found by my insurance company with no problem, and has been titled in 2 other states without problem. Hell, I even show them the original window sticker LOL. What's sad is, another lotus owner registered his car a few weeks before mine and had no troubles.

Damn DMV.

MM

6. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    That's a new one! LOL

My Europa VIN is 2577R. I get a lot of raised eyebrows but so far the state of IL seems to accept that that's all there is. The emissions people had no listing for it so they just gave me an idle test and sent me on my way.

Ken

7. MadMaxx

MadMaxx Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Yes, I was the proud owner of a british RV LOL

Lotus has been sold, looking for next toy.

MM

8. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Bottom Line:
    You are dealing with gov. employees.
    When I registered my 250 GTE I had to argue with them that the car was not made in 1965 (they claimed it was). I had to supply evidence that 1960-1963 was more like it. And they did not like my serial number. Even though the car was non-op they required to inspect it at the DMV facility. I placated the stupid bureaucracy by putting the car on the trailer and letting some surly DL instructor poke under the hood.
    I would bring a nice bottle of scotch, if I were you.
    Thankfully, I can now conduct most of DMV business online and do not have to stand in line for 2 hours (even with appt.) to then see someone chewing gum and screaming "Next"!!!

"DMV, the only sport where the prey stands in line to get a license"

thx
    luke